Who has gone with kids in masks?

westie55

DIS Veteran
Now that Disney has opened, who has taken kids and how did it go wearing masks? Please include ages. Thanks for sharing your experience. I may cancel, but haven't pulled the plug yet.

We did a resort only stay last week. It was me, DH, DD14 and DS11. Of course, masks had to be worn on Disney property and anywhere in Orange County. DD14 did ok. DS11, on the other hand struggled. He wanted to take the mask off a lot to wipe his face. It would stick to his face and it just drove him crazy. He was ok for short periods of time—walking to the pool area. One night, we went to CityWalk to eat dinner and play mini golf. It really bothered him during that time. It wasn’t easy for the rest of us either. We would never make it in the parks all day wearing masks with the heat.

My son is 15 and he does fine. We saw really little kids in masks in 95 degree heat midday who were fine.

We are here now and have a 11, 8, and 5 year old. The masks are a total non issue for them, they got used to them very quickly and don’t mess with them at all during the day. I feel like they see everyone else wearing them and it normalizes it for them. It has been hot anyway so while the masks don’t help with the heat, I honestly don’t feel like they are the worst thing ever. They prefer the ones sold by Disney- they are softer and don’t bother their ears. I also brought cloth ones that tie instead of go behind their ears and those have worked well too.

I have a trip planned in September for 8 nights. Rented DVC points for AKL Savannah View. We have a 2 1/2 year old who refuses to wear a mask. That said we can’t cancel our trip and have found no one willing to buy it from us. So all that said, I’d love to hear stories too of 2-3 year olds and how they did.

We took our 5yo DD for opening day to MK and we spent that Friday night at DS. She didn't complain about the mask at all, which shocked me! I think it helps that everybody is wearing one.

We'll be back 8/23 for a week with 4 park days. We'll be skipping DS because that was where we felt there was way less enforcement on distancing and mask wearing. I did purchase some disposable kids masks for this trip so I don't have to worry about washing our reusable masks.

Kids will be very different. My son is 8 and has no problem wearing a mask, but some of his friends do. We haven’t been to Disney yet this year (just had to cancel our August trip), but we finally got our first amusement park visit of the year in last week for the ACE two-fer event in CT (Quassy amusement park and Lake Compounce) and I think in was in the mid 90s that day. He had no problem. He even kept his distance from all the other people with their noses hanging out.

It probably helps that we are in favor of masks generally. My wife and I are in retail, and I’m a woodworker, so we are used to wearing them and don’t complain. Plus, we’ve had our son at work with us quite a bit this year since school closed, and he has to wear a mask there, so he’s used to it.

If it’s a concern, find masks that are comfortable, with a design the kids will be excited to wear. (We found these really nice ones on Etsy with a haunted mansion wallpaper print.) Then practice wearing them, like training for an event. And try to stay positive. I think part of the difficulty is just getting used to it.
Good luck!

Now that Disney has opened, who has taken kids and how did it go wearing masks? Please include ages. Thanks for sharing your experience. I may cancel, but haven't pulled the plug yet.
I have a 1, 5, 10, and 14. All 3 older ones had no issues wearing a mask all day. We would spend some time in a relaxation zone at least once a day. Its not hard to wear a mask when you aren't standing in line in the heat all the time. With such low wait times, you are usually inside in air conditioning.

Ours are 15 and 12, and the 12yo has lots of special needs. I probably bought 10 different types of masks for them to try out at home. DD15 liked the disposable styles while the younger one chose a couple different reusable ones. The plane ride over was the first long stretch (2 flights with a layover for 5 total hours in a mask). They struggled at first but adapted quickly. Eventually we spent long, hot days in the parks without issues. Whenever they (or we) needed a break, we'd mobile-order some food, then enjoy a few minutes in the most isolated, air conditioned table we could find. We really needed the getaway and have absolutely no regrets about the trip., except for having to go back home.

Here now. Girls are 6 and 9. We did Epcot Friday and MK Saturday (today) all day in the scorching heat and it’s been non issue for them. Now me and masks are a different story lol.

How do you keep kids from touching their masks? I have a 4 year old that is willing to wear one but touches all over the front of it even when he wears it for a short time.

How do you keep kids from touching their masks? I have a 4 year old that is willing to wear one but touches all over the front of it even when he wears it for a short time.
I didn't try to keep them from touching them. Honestly its darn near impossible. What I did do is show them how to adjust them by grabbing the ear loops instead of the mask itself. They did pretty good with them over the last 3 days.
Here is DD6. She actually loved her mask!
IMG_3908-1.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't try to keep them from touching them. Honestly its darn near impossible. What I did do is show them how to adjust them by grabbing the ear loops instead of the mask itself. They did pretty good with them over the last 3 days.
Here is DD6. She actually loved her mask!

I love her mask, too! She looks very cute in it. :-)

So our two year old is ok with wearing a mask for very short periods of time, we are making progress. Leave for Disney in 39 days. Every day he gets better. Just don’t want to get thrown out :) lol

So our two year old is ok with wearing a mask for very short periods of time, we are making progress. Leave for Disney in 39 days. Every day he gets better. Just don’t want to get thrown out :) lol

You can always give him breaks in the relaxation areas or find a spot to have a snack/drink some water (since it'll be hot). He can get a break from his mask and then go on. :)

I started this thread, and I am currently at WDW with my just turned 3 and just turned 5 year old. We did MK this morning and are now taking a much needed break in our room. Mask compliance in general was basically 100% from what I saw minus a few tiny tots. My 5 year old did fantastic with his mask. Zero issues. My newly turned 3 year old (who is quite small for his age) did great for a few hours but started to wane in the end and he started pulling the mask off. I kept putting it back on (and he let me), but I knew he needed a break so we returned to the resort. Only once did a CM see him pull his mask down and remind him to pull it back up, and on our way out he was pulling it off quite a bit and we passed a bunch of CM who didn't make an issue of it. I think they are being more lenient with small toddlers for certain. You will not be thrown out due to your 2 year old, but definitely follow his lead and take him back to the hotel if he is struggling to wear the mask. It's the right thing to do not only for the health of others but for your own sanity lol. An adult repeatedly taking a mask off is another story. I don't think CM would tolerate that.

I started this thread, and I am currently at WDW with my just turned 3 and just turned 5 year old. We did MK this morning and are now taking a much needed break in our room. Mask compliance in general was basically 100% from what I saw minus a few tiny tots. My 5 year old did fantastic with his mask. Zero issues. My newly turned 3 year old (who is quite small for his age) did great for a few hours but started to wane in the end and he started pulling the mask off. I kept putting it back on (and he let me), but I knew he needed a break so we returned to the resort. Only once did a CM see him pull his mask down and remind him to pull it back up, and on our way out he was pulling it off quite a bit and we passed a bunch of CM who didn't make an issue of it. I think they are being more lenient with small toddlers for certain. You will not be thrown out due to your 2 year old, but definitely follow his lead and take him back to the hotel if he is struggling to wear the mask. It's the right thing to do not only for the health of others but for your own sanity lol. An adult repeatedly taking a mask off is another story. I don't think CM would tolerate that.
story from small park I work at. had a 5 year old finishing lunch in my stand and he was almost melting down he couldnt find his mask. grandma was beginning to think she threw out with trash. we found it hanging on his arm at about his elbow by ear loop. was our laugh of the day. so yes the young ones can follow the mask rule

Surprisingly, it’s been a complete non issue with both my kids 14 and 8. And it’s been HOT! My youngest can be a bit difficult, but he hasn’t given us trouble with the masks at all.

We just returned two weeks ago and all three of our kids wore masks the entire time (ages 7, 6 and 3). We were most nervous about our youngest, especially because she hadn’t been wearing them much before our trip, but she was an absolute pro. I will say that I think the fact that literally everyone has to wear them helps- there’s no other option, so they don’t even question it. Wearing them in the heat isn’t as awful as you’d imagine, as long as you make sure to take lots of breaks to just drink water or chill out. We did always have extras with us, but never really needed them.

We just returned two weeks ago and all three of our kids wore masks the entire time (ages 7, 6 and 3). We were most nervous about our youngest, especially because she hadn’t been wearing them much before our trip, but she was an absolute pro. I will say that I think the fact that literally everyone has to wear them helps- there’s no other option, so they don’t even question it. Wearing them in the heat isn’t as awful as you’d imagine, as long as you make sure to take lots of breaks to just drink water or chill out. We did always have extras with us, but never really needed them.

Completely agree. I was shocked at what a non issue it was. Sometimes we’d get in the car and I’d look back a few minutes later and my youngest would still have his mask on because he just forgot about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter