Who lets their kids sing loudly on an airplane

Actually, they sit quietly with their smart phones until it is their turn if it is a student led parent/teacher interview.
We are talking about siblings running around the room and getting into everything. You asked Summer2018 what she would suggest parents do with kids that run around and get into everything during conferences.

We are talking about siblings running around the room and getting into everything. You asked Summer2018 what she would suggest parents do with kids that run around and get into everything during conferences.

That is correct. But the solutions given indicate that people assume that everyone has equal access to childcare which isn’t the case. So what would happen if parents without access to childcare just didn’t go to parent/teacher interviews?

I’ve never taken my children to open houses, conferences, or to work. I have however taken my children to parent teacher interviews because I work under the assumption that a school would be tolerant of children. I guess it might be a regional thing.

Congratulations on 5 children. I wasn’t aware there was a contest, but I guess you win :flower3:
I do win! And our schools ask us not to bring our kids, so we don’t. I can’t imagine having school aged kids and not even having friends where we could drop kids off for 20 minutes. I always made sure I had people I could rely on to watch my kids in case of an emergency.

That is correct. But the solutions given indicate that people assume that everyone has equal access to childcare which isn’t the case. So what would happen if parents without access to childcare just didn’t go to parent/teacher interviews?

My solution would be: Do NOT attend the conference if you can't control your children from running around a room and pulling stuff out. You should do a phone conference or a Facetime situation.

I do win! And our schools ask us not to bring our kids, so we don’t. I can’t imagine having school aged kids and not even having friends where we could drop kids off for 20 minutes. I always made sure I had people I could rely on to watch my kids in case of an emergency.
Not everyone has that available.

See, I just knew it was a regional thing! Our school has an open door policy and everyone is welcome to parent/teacher interviews, siblings, grandparents, next door neighbours.

I can’t imagine having school aged kids and not even having friends where we could drop kids off for 20 minutes.

I agree.

And if you don't have someone to babysit, you better learn some parenting techniques. Children running around and getting into other people's things during a meeting is unacceptable. So is a child singing loudly on a plane. Or kicking the seat in front of them. Or watching movies on an iphone with the volume turned up and no headphones. Or running around a restaurant.

My cousin has been a teacher for 32 years. She said that student behavior is going backwards with each passing year. She said it's almost like an epidemic. Not just naughty kids. Full blown kids that refuse to sit, talk kindly, use manners, have basic skills, etc. They disrespect their teachers and each other. They are full of anger and inappropriate actions daily.

So when I see a serious question like "What do you suggest someone without a babysitter do when their child is running around and getting into everything", I am not shocked. It's just the norm now.

Last edited:
My solution would be: Do NOT attend the conference if you can't control your children from running around a room and pulling stuff out. You should do a phone conference or a Facetime situation.

That’s a great solution. But, what if you’re so concerned about your personal data being sold that you live off the grid?

Same here.

When I had little kids another mother and I would watch each other's kids while they were at the conference. We would even try to schedule them back to back so we could just hang out on the playground with the kids while the other was inside.

Not everyone has that available.

Do you realize tgat you are getting defensive over someone letting their kid tear a classroom apart? Even if you somehow don't have access to a friend, neighbor, family member, or babysitter, there are things you can do to be sure your kid isn't disruptive during a parent-teacher conference.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing happens to parents who don't go to P/T conferences.

Do you realize tgat you are getting defensive over someone letting their kid tear a classroom apart? Even if you somehow don't have access to a friend, neighbor, family member, or babysitter, there are things you can do to be sure your kid isn't disruptive during a parent-teacher conference.
No, I can separate the 2 issues out.

I can point out that not everyone has a babysitter available without being in favor of kids tearing a classroom apart. There's a happy medium in there. School welcomes kids. Parents are responsible and bring things for their kids to do and leave if the kids get out of control.

Last edited:
Nothing. Absolutely nothing happens to parents who don't go to P/T conferences.

That’s good to hear in case I ever want to move over there which is highly unlikely, but never say never.

I’ve never taken my children to open houses, conferences, or to work. I have however taken my children to parent teacher interviews because I work under the assumption that a school would be tolerant of children. I guess it might be a regional thing.

Congratulations on 5 children. I wasn’t aware there was a contest, but I guess you win :flower3:
Seriously? Of course schools are tolerant of children. Schools also have high expectations for behavior, and when the children are invited and included in activity, teachers are there to implement child-centered activities.

A Parent/Teacher Conference (hence the name) is a meeting between parents and teachers to discuss student progress in all areas. It is not a recreational activity for families; not literacy night; not a school fair; not multicultural night. Children are not invited. They are to remain home with a sitter or family member. It is 15 minutes of information for the parents. It is an adult discussion. There are multiple times during the school year for all family members to participate. These twice per year conferences (30 minutes out of an entire school year) are the only time that children are excluded.

I provide books, paper, crayons, puzzles, and Legos for the parents who violate the policy of adults only. I am proactive in this way so that I can avoid interruptions.

It isn't a regional thing. It's a respectful thing.

That’s good to hear in case I ever want to move over there which is highly unlikely, but never say never.
Obviously I can't speak for Australia, but here, we have this nifty thing called email, that we can use to discuss anything we want at anytime with a child's teacher and the best part, no worries about childcare!

Obviously I can't speak for Australia, but here, we have this nifty thing called email, that we can use to discuss anything we want at anytime with a child's teacher and the best part, no worries about childcare!
I brought that up. She responded with fears of personal data being sold:headache:

It isn't a regional thing.

Sure it is. Out of the three parent/teacher interviews we have here, two are student led. That means, the student must be present to lead the discussion.

Regional.
(And there might get be 4 parent/teacher interviews now, I can’t keep track of the changes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!