Who wants to learn all you need to know about doing a triathlon?

I have a question for y'all: fresh water vs salt water swims, which have you done? What do you prefer?
I've done both. As I "grew up" ocean swimming, I prefer salt water. First it's more buoyant. Second, *usually* you have better visibility. If something is going to eat me, I want to see it coming, lol.

Question for everyone about the goggles, b/c it never occurred to me since I haven't done an open swim yet ~ are there larger tri ones or does everybody use regular ones
I don't remember what brand mine are but they aren't much bigger than "normal" goggles. The silicone is more comfortable though, and the edges are rounded so your peripheral vision is better. I'll check when I get home and update the post.

Run
Running shoes with elastic laces
Sparkle Visor
Race Belt
Socks (for longer distance races)

Ahem, you forgot the Sparkle Skirt

I’m really trying not to pile on, but I don’t agree with this statement at all. I do understand the reasoning you have used but for me the bike is simply there to get you to the run. I actually can lay down a fast bike split for what it’s worth, with a few sub-hour 40K time trials under my belt, but the effort isn’t worth it in a triathlon. What’s the sense in biking to the point that your legs are fried for the run? You need to be able to hold steady watts and not burn too many matches so that your legs are as fresh as possible to run down the guys in front of you that did bike too hard or are the truly elite cyclists. That is why I would almost argue that the swim is so important in triathlon despite being so comparatively short in the grand scheme of the race…it is about where it positions you for the bike (and in turn the run). I hate to bring up the pros because it isn’t always realistic, but take Kona for example. Lionel Sanders is a much faster swimmer than I will ever be, but by pro standards he is pretty terrible. If he comes out of the water with a 5 minute deficit he had a great swim. He is one of the top 3 cyclists in triathlon though so he can make up the gap on the bike, but he pays a penalty for it…he is working his legs hard. He rides his way through the pack and comes off the bike at the front and leads most of the run before being passed at the end by the winner Patrick Lange. Lange outswam Sanders by 5 minutes and then rode with the pack on the bike to a very solid but not spectacular 4:28, nearly 15 minutes slower than Sanders. However he knows his strength is the run and he made sure to avoid the temptation of riding harder (though he certainly could have) and saved his legs for the run, posting an amazing 2:39:59 marathon for the victory. Lange is by no means the first to employ this strategy to win at Kona…Craig Alexander did the same thing 3 times, Mark Allen another 6 times and the list goes on. In fact I would argue that it is more rare to see someone win at Kona off of a great bike.

^this :)

Welcome! Thanks for joining in...my coach tells me the same thing, if I feel like going for it 18 miles into the run then feel free.

Same holds true for a regular marathon too

So, I'm assuming if I'm just doing a try-a-tri type of event (which is basically what this local one is that I'm eyeing) that nobody will judge me if I don't move at a fast pace through my transitions right? Cause just reading about that sort of stresses me out.

Nope. Nobody should judge you at all. Take all the time you need to make sure you have everything for the next leg.

I have a question for y'all: fresh water vs salt water swims, which have you done? What do you prefer?

Salt! Can't go wrong with extra buoyancy! I love salt water swims mostly because the water is typically rougher than in lakes or ponds, and as a strong swimmer, I can put time into the people who aren't quite as good. Waves and chop and surf look really scary, and if you're able to deal with them both physically and mentally, you're already one up on most people.

@FFigawi @AerialGael Thank you both! I was born in Cali, I love the beach, I was in the Navy, I am a pretty decent swimmer, but I am not a fan of salt water so I avoid looking at California Triathlons. I think in 2018 I might have to change that!

https://ironaerialist.wordpress.com/2017/10/18/race-report-ironman-louisville-2017 if you want to see the whole race report. It's a bit long... sorry in advance. I've got one in there from IMMT too.

WOW! Well that was inspiring to read. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on finishing in what sounds like horrific conditions. Made me really happy to read about how you helped a fellow athlete and that it spurred her on to finish as well.

Also, "full-on Hobbit" is my new pre-race mantra!!

My husband sent me something from his Triathlon team. They are hosting events monthly in their facility. It's beginner friendly. Indoor Tri events where you have time limits and just go as far as you can.

The one hour event looks like this:

• 10 minutes of swimming in the lap pool
  • 10 minute easy transition from the pool to the spin bikes
  • 30 minutes of bike riding on the studio spin bikes
  • 5 minute easy transition from the spin area to the treadmills
  • 20 minutes of treadmill running
I'm tempted at some point this year (edited to mean 2018) to try that out...to get my feet wet. And there'd be no pressure. Would be good to try before delving into a real sprint at some point in the future. I may want to spend some time on the bike in the gym this winter off an on with my easy base mileage runs. hmmmmmm

Last edited:
My husband sent me something from his Triathlon team. They are hosting events monthly in their facility. It's beginner friendly. Indoor Tri events where you have time limits and just go as far as you can.

The one hour event looks like this:

• 10 minutes of swimming in the lap pool
  • 10 minute easy transition from the pool to the spin bikes
  • 30 minutes of bike riding on the studio spin bikes
  • 5 minute easy transition from the spin area to the treadmills
  • 20 minutes of treadmill running
I'm tempted at some point this year to try that out...to get my feet wet. And there'd be no pressure. Would be good to try before delving into a real sprint at some point in the future. I may want to spend some time on the bike in the gym this winter off an on with my easy base mileage runs. hmmmmmm

That sounds awesome! I wish I could do it. Haha.

Well, I'm signed up for an indoor/outdoor tri in March. The swim is in a pool, biking on a spin bike, and then the run is outside in the streets. I'll probably sign up for a full indoor tri over the winter. Thanks for all the information on this thread so far.

Big thank you for this thread!!! Thanks to all who took the time to write such detailed responses! It was very helpful in prep for my first sprint tri, which I completed today! Wooo!!!!
The short version: IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!
I expected to like the run the best and feel some sort of relief when I got to the run. But, turns out, despite my angst about it throughout training, the bay swim was actually my favorite part! I can see that this sport has the potential to be equally as addictive as running, for me anyway. =P
Many thanks again all for your questions and your answers!

Big thank you for this thread!!! Thanks to all who took the time to write such detailed responses! It was very helpful in prep for my first sprint tri, which I completed today! Wooo!!!!
I expected to like the run the best and feel some sort of relief when I got to the run. But, turns out, despite my angst about it throughout training, the bay swim was actually my favorite part! I can see that this sport has the potential to be equally as addictive as running, for me anyway. =P

Congrats!!!

The swim is definitely my favorite part of my training and on race day - nothing like coming out of the water feeling confident and happy with just two legs to go!

Congrats!!! Swimming is my favorite part too.

Congrats! Glad you had fun out there, hope you're able to give a few more races a try. I love the swim too :)

Congrats! Glad you had fun out there, hope you're able to give a few more races a try. I love the swim too :)
Thank you!! Oh, for sure re: more races! Appointment for bike fitting next week, as I trained and completed this race with a loaner (though I do love the bike and want to keep it, if it measures up correctly)!
You guys will appreciate this: When DH saw my smiling face post race, he told me to "go ahead and do what you have to do" with regard to bike buying. :D I told him that I am writing that down and will send him the bill...o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter