Whoops, didn’t realise there were pass blackout dates!

Pluto80

DIS Veteran
Was quite looking forward to buying our first DVC annual pass. We’re going next Christmas, then the following summer. Upon looking into it further, I now see there are blackout dates for Christmas. Whoops! Is there a DVC pass that doesn’t have blackout dates? Or should we just buy a normal annual pass?
We’re fairly new members, so this is all new to us :-)

If the black out dates don't work for you you might not want to buy the DVC pass. Just their way of offering a perk that looks good on paper until you read the fine print.

:earsboy: Bill

Isn’t the Platinum pass discounted for DVC? We have it and we go NYE.

The Platinum was just offered last year as a promotion at the same cost as a Gold pass. Have you always had the Platinum ?

Was quite looking forward to buying our first DVC annual pass. We’re going next Christmas, then the following summer. Upon looking into it further, I now see there are blackout dates for Christmas. Whoops! Is there a DVC pass that doesn’t have blackout dates? Or should we just buy a normal annual pass?
We’re fairly new members, so this is all new to us :-)
Since your first trip will be over Christmas, consider buying a MYW ticket that will cover the Christmas trip park days. Before you leave the park on your last park day, go to Guest Services and ask to upgrade to the GOLD pass. You will only have to pay the difference between the price of the MYW ticket and the GOLD pass , and then you will be all set for your summer trip. Works best if the MYW ticket does not exceed the cost of the Gold pass. There have been many reports of others successfully using this strategy. Enjoy your membership!

There are discounted annual passes without blackout dates for DVC.
Walt Disney World
Pass Options
Member Price Savings
Disney Gold Pass – New Purchase N/A $589 plus tax N/A
Disney Gold Pass – Renewal N/A $500 plus tax N/A
Disney Platinum Pass – New Purchase $849 plus tax Guest Price $729 plus tax $120
Disney Platinum Pass – Renewal $721 plus tax Guest Price $619 plus tax $102
Disney Platinum Plus Pass – New Purchase $949 plus tax Guest Price $829 plus tax $120
Disney Platinum Plus Pass – Renewal $806 plus tax Guest Price $704 plus tax $102

Last edited:

Since your first trip will be over Christmas, consider buying a MYW ticket that will cover the Christmas trip park days. Before you leave the park on your last park day, go to Guest Services and ask to upgrade to the GOLD pass. You will only have to pay the difference between the price of the MYW ticket and the GOLD pass , and then you will be all set for your summer trip. Works best if the MYW ticket does not exceed the cost of the Gold pass. There have been many reports of others successfully using this strategy. Enjoy your membership!

Yup, this is what we did for our last annual pass. Worked great!

I wonder if you can go this with the UK tickets, as we often get good prices for those. Can you upgrade to a DVC pass in the park, or does it have to be done through member services?

AllEars.net has different AP prices for DVC members effective with 2/11/18. http://allears.net/pl/apass.htm Do we have to call MS to get the correct amount or does Allears giving us a higher (incorrect) discount? It definitely is lower the $150 discount we got before last year.

ANNUAL PASS RATES WERE LAST INCREASED
Sunday, February 11th 2018
Prices including 6.5% tax

Pass Type (note first figure is without discount and second figure is with DVC discount) I could get the chart to post correctly.
Platinum Annual Pass $904.19 $776.39
Platinum Annual Pass Renewal $767.87 $659.24
Platinum Plus Annual Pass $1010.69 $882.89
Platinum Plus Annual Pass Renewal $858.39 $749.76
Gold Annual Pass
DVC and FL Residents only $627.29 $627.29
Gold Annual Pass Renewal
DVC and FL Residents only $532.50 $532.50

This is so good to know! I'll be making stop at Guest Services when we go down in May. Thank you! :-)

AllEars.net has different AP prices for DVC members effective with 2/11/18. http://allears.net/pl/apass.htm Do we have to call MS to get the correct amount or does Allears giving us a higher (incorrect) discount? It definitely is lower the $150 discount we got before last year.

ANNUAL PASS RATES WERE LAST INCREASED
Sunday, February 11th 2018
Prices including 6.5% tax

Pass Type (note first figure is without discount and second figure is with DVC discount) I could get the chart to post correctly.
Platinum Annual Pass $904.19 $776.39
Platinum Annual Pass Renewal $767.87 $659.24
Platinum Plus Annual Pass $1010.69 $882.89
Platinum Plus Annual Pass Renewal $858.39 $749.76
Gold Annual Pass
DVC and FL Residents only $627.29 $627.29
Gold Annual Pass Renewal
DVC and FL Residents only $532.50 $532.50

Prices went up one week ago. So, I think these are accurate.

We got the Platinum Plus on the DVC deal last year when they offered them for $549. A pretty good deal. Even better was a few years prior they offered the Platinum Plus pass to Members for $399. That was the best deal...

We got the Platinum Plus on the DVC deal last year when they offered them for $549. A pretty good deal. Even better was a few years prior they offered the Platinum Plus pass to Members for $399. That was the best deal...
Wow, that's a great deal, hope they do it again!

i'm so confused by this thread. dvc members get discounts on all the type of passes? also if u just buy the right level of pass there are no black out dates which are still discounted?

am i missing something?

jimi

It would seem so. I thought there was only a DVC annual pass, so I’m pleased to see DVC members get discounts on the other ones too.

i'm so confused by this thread. dvc members get discounts on all the type of passes? also if u just buy the right level of pass there are no black out dates which are still discounted?

am i missing something?

jimi
The DVC Gold Annual Pass does have blockout dates.

Only the Premium and Premium Plus Annual Passes have no blockout dates.

From the DVC Member site:

Disney Platinum Plus Pass

DVC Premium Plus Annual Pass - $829 +tax

• Admission for a year to all 4 theme parks, 2 Disney water parks1, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex2 and Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course3 (No blockout dates)
  • Visit all 4 theme parks on the same day
  • Includes Disney PhotoPass downloads*
  • Up to 20% off on select dining and merchandise
  • Theme park parking

Disney Platinum Pass

DVC Platinum Annual Pass - $729 +tax

• Admission for a year to all 4 theme parks (No blockout dates)
  • Theme park parking

Disney Gold Pass

DVC Gold Pass - 549 +tax

Disney DVC Gold Pass: Admission to the four Disney theme parks with blockout dates (March 24 - April 6, 2018, December 20 - January 3, 2019).
  • Admission during most times of the year to all 4 theme parks
  • Theme park parking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!