Whos got Martin Luther King

DH and I work in higher education (at different universities) and both have it off. I've never worked at a university or school district that didn't. Presidents Day is a whole different story.

I do, but only because I have a rule that I won't take a per diem job on a day that DH has off. He works for a university, so he's off. I got a text last night asking if I could work, and I said sorry, nope.

No, My hubby has to work as we have a service job and the industry does not stop for what we do.

DH and I work in higher education (at different universities) and both have it off. I've never worked at a university or school district that didn't. Presidents Day is a whole different story.

My college is open on a normal schedule - we don't give students any single days off during the semester, since long weekends and days off tend to lead to parties and such. There was an all-campus assembly during the open period today, though.

In my area, the only places that really close are the government, public schools, and banks, Private schools and colleges and all businesses are open. The state government closes Friday and Monday, because in Va Friday is Lee-Jackson Day, which is a state holiday. So state workers get 4 consecutive days off.

My college is open on a normal schedule - we don't give students any single days off during the semester, since long weekends and days off tend to lead to parties and such. There was an all-campus assembly during the open period today, though.

In my area, the only places that really close are the government, public schools, and banks, Private schools and colleges and all businesses are open. The state government closes Friday and Monday, because in Va Friday is Lee-Jackson Day, which is a state holiday. So state workers get 4 consecutive days off.

In VA, the official name of one day is Lee-Jackson Day and the preceding work day, MLK Day.
Wish my Richmond, VA step grandmother ( and boyyyy did she have Hades to pay being the only North American born of that generation; loved her for her grace, charm and wisdom in the face of adversity) lived to see the change since I suspect she would have chuckled at the dichotomy.

Last edited:
My DH (now retired) never got it off and I think we (our school) got it off once or twice but it's because it was figured in with the end of the semester schedule when they give the kids a 3 to 4 day weekend after exams.

babysitting today since DGD's pre school is closed and her parents have to work

Me... and i didn't even realize it until late Friday when someone in the company mentioned enjoying the 3 day weekend???!!! I knew the kids were out of school but didn't realize i was off work as well...

Milwaukee public schools of course get off. Some other schools are off also but it's listed as an in service day so it's a work day for teachers but kids don't have school. What really gets me about this is schools aren't off for Presidents' Day unless some schools are off but as in service. But MPS close for MLK day.

I worked and so did my SO. I get paid a regular day. He got paid double time and a half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter