Who's looking forward to new Toy Story Land?

I think the Alien swirling saucers looks fun and the new restaurant looks interesting.

As for Primeval Whirl, the very well executed theme of the entire area just somehow missed the mark. People just never "got" the fact that it was supposed to look like a tacky roadside carnival. That's the whole point. It achieved exactly what it was supposed to.

"It's supposed to look like a tacky roadside carnival" sounds like an after-the-fact excuse for why it's cheap. May as well have told disappointed guest "It's supposed to be disappointing!"

But I do agree on the point that not everything can (or should) be an E-ticket. Disney's Hollywood Studios remaining rides are arguably in that category, so it needed some attractions which weren't shows but also weren't headliner rides. Let's just not pretend it's anything groundbreaking.

I am totally one of those people that was never impressed by it, LOL. And it’s not that I didn’t understand that they were trying to theme it to “tacky roaside carnival,” its that I thought that it was kind of a lazy idea thematically in the first place. What makes Disney parks so special to me personally, is that the theming elevates it beyond carnival and amusement park status. I just never found that the theming of Dinoland did anything SO much more innovative that I didn’t look around and go “ok, so basically my state fair with cartoon dinosaurs.” What could they have done to wow me and maintain that theme? I don’t know, but the same Imagineers created Expedition Everest, and an African village that looks nearly identical to locations I visited in Kenya. So the land just ends up looking like “We Ran Out of Money Land.”

I consistently skip Dinoland when I’m at Animal Kingdom, and I consistently skip Paradise Pier when I’m at DCA for the same reason. When I’m at a Disney park I just expect more than a cheeky “oh but it’s MEANT to be a carnival!” Dinosaurs offer such a rich subject matter- the kind of innovative, immersive placemaking that could’ve been done...it’s hard (for me) to look at Dinoland in comparison to the rest of Animal Kingdom and not consider it a lost opportunity and a bit out of step with the immersion that exists within the rest of the park.
I totally agree w/what you said re: Paradise Pier @ DCA. I feel the same way. Every time we're at DCA, we pretty much only go to Paradise Pier for the Toy Story ride and then we skip the rest. We don't even eat meals there.

Just watched a video of the Mater ride in DCA. Essentially, it's a trackless update of a Whip, which has been around since 1914. Being inside, with what I'm sure will be nice lighting effects, it will be a fun, short ride for kids. I imagine that lines will be terrible, though, since there's so little for kids to do in DHS. Off-the-Shelf? Well... no. Anything special? Definitely not.

As for Slinky Dog Coaster, there's no question it's simply a custom layout of an existing ride system with some light theming and an AA thrown in. Will it be fun for kids? Sure. Is it anything special? Definitely not.

Space Mountain has always been somewhat mediocre to me (don't kill me), but I think that the initial hubbub over it is, like others have said, the fact that it was inside in the dark and had some fun theming. Also, it was the first "thrill ride" in the Magic Kingdom. Disney parks weren't known for thrill rides. The Matterhorn in DL was as thrilling as they got. I honestly think the only reasons for the continued long lines are nostalgia from longtime park-goers and from people who don't really have any idea of what the ride is actually like.

yes, I am. I love it as it appears to be colorful and whimiscal and imaginative. Toy Story was the very first computer animation movie I watched. I was 27 years old then living in Wayne, Pa and I remember being so amazed with the rich vibrant colors. I remember stating quietly out loud as at times at some of the movie scenes "it looks sooo realistic!" and yet it's supposed to be a cartoon. I remember the next day at the office explaining and telling everyone at my work during lunchtime about this new type of a movie.... describing it to them it's "like half cartoon and half live people. And the storyline was fantastic and enjoyable and sooo good for adults as well as children." AND I remember as a child, I too, used to think my dolls would come alive when I left my bedroom! I remember the co-workers (much older than me) expressions on their faces when I was telling them about this new up and coming amazing computer animation technology. When I had children later on, I bought the Toy story vhs and my babies used to watch it over and over again. Then later on, we went on my first Disney Wonder cruise and they had the toy story characters on stage musical and I was wide-eyed open about seeing those characters on stage.

So yes, I am looking forward to Toy Story land, and I love that the Slinky Dog roller coaster will be easy going and made for ENTIRE families of all ages. Plus toy Story mania ride is one of my top 5 favorite rides in WDW.

I'm curious about this......who's looking forward to new Toy Story Land opening and who thinks it's no big deal?

I am actually excited about this, less for me but more that there will be more for kids to do. We focus so much on what the next big ride will be or what restaurant is coming that I think something that is really for the littler ones is great.

Plus I just want to see it!!!!
We’re looking forward to it, but won’t make a return trip until Star Wars is complete, not that we care that much about Star Wars, but we’re not that interested in touring a half done park under construction.

I've skimmed this thread more than actually read it, but I just wanted to add my two cents:

I'm an adult who generally travels with another adult. No kids. But we were kids when the Toy Story movies first started coming out, and we grew up loving them.

I just booked a trip for early July (yay!) and we're doing at least 1.5 days at DHS. Because we want to make sure to do all the Toy Story things. We're very excited. I'm not expecting it to be the greatest land ever, but I think some fun large toy statues and cute toy-themed rides will put a smile on my face ... and that's what I'm looking for when I go to Disney.

I understand why people who are looking for revolutionary technology in everything Disney does would be disappointed, because that's really not what Toy Story Land seems like to me. But for someone who wants something a little fun with a connection to their childhood that will put a smile on their face ... I think it might end up being perfect.
It's all about what you go to the parks for - and the great thing about Disney is that when they can (stupid budgets) they try to build things for all groups of fans. I think Galaxy's Edge will probably be great for people who want the newest technology, and even though I'm not the biggest of Star Wars fans, I'm really glad Disney is doing it. But for someone who is just looking for a little cute fun, I think Toy Story Land will fit the bill.

I am not as excited as I was with Pandora. But I'm excited enough that I booked a last minute trip to see it :rolleyes: Perfect excuse, right?

I'm really looking forward to it. Not sure we'll spend much time back there but I think it's going to be a great addition. Toy Story is very special to me, my son's first movie he was obsessed with. I know that when I see Toy Story Land for the first time I will be transported back in time to my son sitting in his Toy Story PJ's, watching Toy Story for the gazillionth time, holding his Buzz Lightyear talking (OMG I still hear that thing in my sleep 20 years later) action figure! That's what WDW is about for me, memories of my family experiencing Disney in all it's forms!

Now that I've heard some estimates on the hourly ride capacity, I'd be avoiding this until after the summer unless you hit it first thing in the morning. On the other hand, it's just nice that the years of closures and reduced attractions at Disney's Hollywood Studios will start paying off with new things to do.

I’m looking forward to seeing Toy Story Land. Trip was planned a long time ago and we happen to arrive the day it opens. We booked our studio days at the end of the trip so we can read about how things go and how crowded it gets

I grew up as the quintessential Toy Story kid - I got Woody and Buzz for birthday gifts when I was little, I remember seeing Toy Story 2 in theatres (and then Toy Story 3 as well as a 16 year old), I always have to meet Woody when I'm in WDW, and Toy Story is the movie that I put in any time I'm feeling sad/sick/bad and need a pick me up. Yes, I can talk along word for word with that movie (and my friends in college tested me to prove it).

So yes, I know that it's a going to be a land mainly for kids. I know it's going to be two rides that are not top thrillers. I know it's going to be more of a land to appreciate walking around. BUT it's going to be a land that drops me into the universe that has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It's going to make it so I can walk into the movies that I grew up watching and loving. So yes, I cannot wait to be there opening day and experience it.

I'm actually getting more excited for Toy Story Land the closer we get. Sometimes I just try not to get my hopes up too much but I'm starting to get more intrigued about this opening.

You can finally fully zoom in on Toy Story Land in the App. I'm looking forward to checking it out in a few months.

I'm not sure if it was just me or the iOS app, but it was clouded until today.

You can finally fully zoom in on Toy Story Land in the App. I'm looking forward to checking it out in a few months.

I'm not sure if it was just me or the iOS app, but it was clouded until today.

I've seen it posted by other people so fairly confident it isn't just you but for everyone it is now visible on the map

Not sure if you saw this, but yesterday iNSIDE Disney Parks published this video of CMs riding Slinky Dog Dash and then their reaction ... obviously it is biased since it is produced by Disney but it looks pretty fun!

The video also includes shots of Toy Story Land at night time and it looks pretty cool with the lighting!

I've seen it posted by other people so fairly confident it isn't just you but for everyone it is now visible on the map

Not sure if you saw this, but yesterday iNSIDE Disney Parks published this video of CMs riding Slinky Dog Dash and then their reaction ... obviously it is biased since it is produced by Disney but it looks pretty fun!

The video also includes shots of Toy Story Land at night time and it looks pretty cool with the lighting!

I love it!

I know it's going to be more of a land to appreciate walking around.
I love that you said this.

DW and I were among the first non-CMs to visit Animal Kingdom in the days prior to it opening to the public (AP preview). We absolutely fell in love with the park. We loved that it wasn't all about the attractions and that the park itself was the attraction. We enjoyed exploring every path and fork in the road and even some hidden trails that took you into the woods (no longer available unfortunately). We loved looking at all of the details, the carvings, the artwork, the architecture.

Unfortunately, the hoards didn't arrive with that same appreciation. They wanted rides and thrills and action. They didn't care about all of that nature and art and stuff. So the park has changed a lot over the past 20 years. I think the same mindset is behind all of the folks who are downplaying Toy Story Land. Enjoy it for what it is. I'm sure there will be tons of details and nods to the movies and inside jokes and such for fans to discover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!