Why are crowds lower this summer?

I believe it's because many school districts (our district is one)does not prohibit vacations during the school year (our district allows 5 days off per year for vacation).....I just believe many people are choosing to go during off season.

That's nothing new and has gone on for years. So I don't see it as explaining a recent dip in crowds.

For me it's all about value and Disney doesn't give me the value it once did. For a week at Disney, after buying tickets, rooms and food it's almost $3K. I just took a 4 week road trip to the GC and other points and spent just under $3K, including room, gas, food, admissions, etc. Much better vacation deals are out there and those destinations will be getting my money.

My family loves the hot weather! We live in a climate where warm days are few. Our favorite time in Disney is the last week in July or first week in August. Next year we may hve to go in September. Isnt the Orlando weather hot and humid in September as well?

My family loves the hot weather! We live in a climate where warm days are few. Our favorite time in Disney is the last week in July or first week in August. Next year we may hve to go in September. Isnt the Orlando weather hot and humid in September as well?

If you like hot weather, you will love September. :beach:

I think after this trip we will use our DVC points at other locations. This has been the hardest trip to get ADRs too. Not to mention Disney would not release key dates before my 180 day mark. I had to re-arrange things etc etc. Never had that problem on my previous trips.

If the lower crowds at WDW were caused by the economy, why is attendance steadily climbing at DLR?

DLR typically does better than WDW during economic downturns due to the high percentage of Californians; a staycation to DLR is still a lot cheaper than a trip to Europe or Hawaii. Also trips to DLR typically cost less because guests stay for fewer days, and it's a lot easier to shave costs by staying/eating offsite.

I have an AP and just checked out availability for 30 days out and I could have booked anything. Not for any time, but all the previously tough-to-get attractions were there.

I think they have fine tuned the system so it's not a first come first serve model anymore. I think it's a combination of holding back some so everyone could find something, people not taking fastpasses they didn't want just because they were forced to have 3 for the 1 they did want previously, and it looks like they are checking wait times with lanyards in the fastpass line as well now so if a ride can support it, they are putting out some extras on the same day (mostly afternoon). That last one is a trick I'm been using the last couple weeks and it's been brilliant to be able to get hard to get fastpasses, run into the park after work for a couple rides and get home without needing standby.

they have the system almost to the point I'm getting ready to say I like this better than the old paper fastpass system.

DLR typically does better than WDW during economic downturns due to the high percentage of Californians; a staycation to DLR is still a lot cheaper than a trip to Europe or Hawaii. Also trips to DLR typically cost less because guests stay for fewer days, and it's a lot easier to shave costs by staying/eating offsite.
I don't doubt what you're saying, but if the decreased attendance at WDW was caused by the economy, wouldn't DLR experience a decrease rather than an increase? Also, wouldn't Universal Orlando be experiencing lighter attendance? I'm not seeing either of these things happening.

Many parts of the world are in economic crisis or recession. South America and many parts of Europe are experiencing economic challenges. As a Canadian I know many fellow Canadians who were planning to visit this spring or summer but decided to cancel their plan because the exchange on the Canadian dollar is so poor. A lot of these changes were not noticed last fall or earlier this year because people had already booked their trips and the economic issues were not as bad. But as time has passed and economies have worsened the consequences of these issues are being seen in lower crowds starting around now because 6 months ago there weren't as many people from other countries planning trips.
I'm sure this is only part of the picture but if this IS part of the issue then it is less of an issue of people moving their trips to fall/winter/value seasons but rather not planning to visit at all.

I agree with you! Another thing to consider is that most Brits have booked their packages last year and they have been paid for , for travel this year.

I wonder what will happen when the time comes for them to book for next year, with the economic situation in the UK?

I think Next Year will be even worse, if that is the case! I hope your Canadian economy straightens up soon for you :)

I don't doubt what you're saying, but if the decreased attendance at WDW was caused by the economy, wouldn't DLR experience a decrease rather than an increase? Also, wouldn't Universal Orlando be experiencing lighter attendance? I'm not seeing either of these things happening.

Once again, DLR has a different guest mix than WDW so that things like Brazil's economic collapse or Brexit have virtually no effect on it. From what I've heard SeaWorld and Universal Orlando attendance are also down, but maybe not as much as WDW's.

We went the end of June and didnt think there were lower crowds. It was about the same as when we went the past few years in summer. Our MK day was posted a 10 on the crowd calendar, it was pretty crowded but we managed just fine with the new FP system. I love being able to book our FP's on my phone or ipad!

I agree with you! Another thing to consider is that most Brits have booked their packages last year and they have been paid for , for travel this year.

I wonder what will happen when the time comes for them to book for next year, with the economic situation in the UK?

I think Next Year will be even worse, if that is the case! I hope your Canadian economy straightens up soon for you :)

I totally agree. None of this is a result of the Brexit. Next year though? It will be interesting to watch.

Our last vacation to WDW was in April 2015 and we have no plans to return. Yes we miss WDW, but we miss the WDW before FP+ and before the 120 day ADR booking window. We miss the WDW where the guest experience was the priority. Now, it seems that Disney is working hard to squeeze every penny from their guests.

When my family has a great overall experience, we will spend more on souvenirs and dining. But Disney's money grab has brought out the miser in me to the point of spending all of our hard earned vacation dollars elsewhere.

I fail to see how the 180 ADR window (which debuted in 2009 btw) and FP+, the 2 things you list as not liking, are part of any "money grab". I get not liking either of those things, but neither of them have anything to do with Disney squeezing pennies from their guests.

I struggle too a bit with people that complain the Disney resorts are over-priced. For comparison, I'm going up to Mackinaw City soon for a couple of days. The hotels there are nothing fancy by any stretch. Very very basic. And for those, in the city, the absolute cheapest is $130 a night. For a motel I would be leery to stay in. We are talking very basic motels. Anything nicer and you would pay $200 a night. For a motel that can't hold a candle to a Disney value.

Last edited:
I fail to see how the 180 ADR window (which debuted in 2009 btw) and FP+, the 2 things you list as not liking, are part of any "money grab". I get not liking either of those things, but neither of them have anything to do with Disney squeezing pennies from their guests.

I struggle too a bit with people that complain the Disney resorts are over-priced. For comparison, I'm going up to Mackinaw City soon for a couple of days. The hotels there are nothing fancy by any stretch. Very very basic. And for those, in the city, the absolute cheapest is $130 a night. For a motel I would be leery to stay in. We are talking very basic motels. Anything nicer and you would pay $200 a night. For a motel that can't hold a candle to a Disney value.
Please re-read my post. I did not associate WDW's current greed with FP+ or the ADR booking window. All I said was I miss the old WDW, before the 120 day ADR and FP+. But I'm glad everything is great for you.:flower:

I think they have fine tuned the system so it's not a first come first serve model anymore. I think it's a combination of holding back some so everyone could find something, people not taking fastpasses they didn't want just because they were forced to have 3 for the 1 they did want previously, and it looks like they are checking wait times with lanyards in the fastpass line as well now so if a ride can support it, they are putting out some extras on the same day (mostly afternoon). That last one is a trick I'm been using the last couple weeks and it's been brilliant to be able to get hard to get fastpasses, run into the park after work for a couple rides and get home without needing standby.

they have the system almost to the point I'm getting ready to say I like this better than the old paper fastpass system.

That makes sense - especially the part about not having to set up three FP+. That always drove me nuts. I'd have to book a FP for Talk Turtle with Crush just so I could get one for Soarin' or TT.

I have to agree with this. My husband and I went to NYC for our 5th anniversary ten years ago. A shoebox-sized room within walking distance of the show for which we had tickets was $500. It was a very nice room, neat and clean and very safe. But it was tiny and the view was a brick wall. We didn't care - we paid it for the location. Just this past weekend, we met up with friends in Cape May, NJ. They had a room that was probably about the size of a moderate at Disney. It had a small kitchenette (two-burner stove, single-slot toaster, mini fridge, and microwave). Walking distance to the beach and $350 a night. Last summer, I had a room booked at BC for $202 a night. Depending on your vacation destination, the price of lodging at Disney is not totally out-of-whack.

Folks on the UO forums are saying that Uni had unusually low crowds for the July 4th weekend too.

Maybe people are a little afraid to travel? I wonder if there is any way to see what the cancellation rate was.

I'm with those who believe the crowds are probably just shifting.

I'm almost positive this forum will see thread after thread in September about how busy it is. I fully expect our September trip to be the busiest one yet.

We have a vacation booked for the week after Labor Day. This is the fourth time I have booked a September trip ( only actually took one of those trips as I had to cancel the others) and this year it's been the most difficult I've experienced in trying to book ADR's and the Free Dining and now in the past couple days..FP's. It's not that I can't get things I want, it's more that it's been more difficult, more complicated. I'm having to shift things around and tweek quite a bit. In the past for me September booking was fairly wide open if I started right when my windows opened up. Not so this year.

I whole heartedly agree with those who think the fall will be crazy this year. I hope that's not the case but, I'm preparing for the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter