Why are Smugglers Run wait times so low?

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
According to the App, wait times have been around 15-20 minutes all week. Is this because they're limiting how many people can enter at a time?

A pretty predictable pattern has developed for each 4 hour reservation block.

Hour one: New group arrives overlapping previous group by one hour...so you have a rush of new people heading for the attraction and many of the last group trying for one last ride. 60-90...even 120 min wait times.
Hour two: Still a back log of 45-60 min wait times
Hour three: Everyone has ridden and they are now off exploring the rest of the land since they blew so much of their window waiting in SR line. Wait times drop to just a few min.
Hour four: New group arrives and previous group tries to get back in line, wait time shoot back to 60-90min

Moral of the story...if you have a reservation wait till sometime in your third hour to try and ride.

Last edited:

Hour one: New group arrives overlapping previous group by one hour...so you have a rush of new people heading for the attraction and many of the last group trying for one last ride. 60-90...even 120 min wait times.
Hour three: Everyone has ridden and they are now off exploring the rest of the land since they blew so much of their window waiting in SR line. Wait times drop to just a few min.
Hour four: New group arrives and previous group tries to get back in line, wait time shoot back to 60-90min

Moral of the story...if you have a reservation wait till sometime in your third hour to try and ride.
Unless you want to ride more than once- they wont let you ride in the 4th hour if you've already ridden.

This is exactly how it was when we went on May 31. 3rd hour wait was only 30 mins.

Once reservations are over on June 24, I heard that they may be doing some type of return time system, similar to how they do FP, get a ticket in the morning and return later that day. I am guessing that this only allows you to be in SWGE for a certain amount of time as well. This might make the crowds somewhat reasonable, but we really have to see what it is like on the 24th.

Kriss :tink:

A friend went at 8:00 a.m. on opening day and rode it four times, three times as a single rider. As a SR, the wait was less than a minute. I’ll go this Sunday. Hopefully I have a similar experience.

Incidentally, my reservation is at 8:00 p.m. I usually rope-drop on Sunday and am thinking about doing the same this weekend. Then maybe I’ll head back to my car for a nap and then get back for my reservation a little later.

Last edited:
This is exactly how it was when we went on May 31. 3rd hour wait was only 30 mins.

Once reservations are over on June 24, I heard that they may be doing some type of return time system, similar to how they do FP, get a ticket in the morning and return later that day. I am guessing that this only allows you to be in SWGE for a certain amount of time as well. This might make the crowds somewhat reasonable, but we really have to see what it is like on the 24th.

Kriss :tink:

I've kinda asked this question too and the replies I've gotten here is there will NOT be a time limit. However, you're correct that once it hits capacity (I figure basically within the first couple hours) they'll do a virtual queue (or pull a hard paper ticket and check digital monitors around the park for your access time) with the app. Now I'm really curious how aggressive they're going to get on the capacity. I would LOVE if they tried to keep wait times down to 60 minutes or less, but in doing so people may hang out longer and longer in that area of the park if they're able to get on the ride two or three times without blowing their whole day, which means the virtual queue will grind to a halt. If they go for just max capacity (like whatever it's rated by the fire marshal capacity wise or something) then it might just be soul crushingly bad at like 200+ minute wait times and people probably will do one attraction and maybe some shopping and then leave.

Apparently unless you were in our reservation 2-6 on Wednesday where the wait time never went below 35 min the entire time. I stalked the wait times to see the patterns for 5 days. Our turn comes and WTH people?? 🤣

This lands capacity and crowd patterns are all messed up until Rise opens, too. They designed it to separate people, but everything right now is concentrated on that right side.
We will see the crowds and wait times hit their peak (until Rise) on june 24th when it’s open to capacity virtual queuing starts.

These times will likely go out the window on the 24th. This is still "soft opening" mode, they are keeping things limited to help train the CMs. We've been there with 5 min wait times. And the wait times ebb and flow thru the reservation time. Come the 24th, don't expect to see under an hour. Or 2.

Not to train the CM's- they've been doing this for over a month at this point. It's just crowd control so that the initial masses would be able to be accommodated and kept to a decent level.

A friend went at 8:00 a.m. on opening day and rode it four times, three times as a single rider. As a SR, the wait was less than a minute. I’ll go this Sunday. Hopefully I have a similar experience.

Incidentally, my reservation is at 8:00 p.m. I usually rope-drop on Sunday and am thinking about doing the same this weekend. Then maybe I’ll head back to my car for a nap and then get back for my reservation a little later.

We will be there at the same time. Remember: DON'T RUN!

If you go during the lull period of right before the next group gets let into the land, it's a short wait. We were able to walk on, no wait.

If you go during the lull period of right before the next group gets let into the land, it's a short wait. We were able to walk on, no wait.
We unfortunately didn’t have that last night. Lowest standby got was posted 25 and actual was around 20. Compared to last Saturday when we did walk on a few times.

We went on Friday morning 8-12. We rode the ride 3 times in the 3rd hour and never waited more than a few minutes. It took longer to walk up the ramps in the queue than our actual wait to get in the pre-show room. We had taken pictures by the Millennium Falcon early and saw a lot of people getting in line then, and at 11 AM (as we came off the 3rd time), we saw the next group streaming into the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter