Why can't DCL test for Norwalk?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
It seems to me that a big part of the problem that Disney is facing right now is determining whether someone with any GI problem actually has Norwalk (and although we are not sure about the actual facts, based on the latest news article that was posted it DOES seem like there are people who feel wrongly quarantined. I'm not commenting on whether they are or not, but as long as people are feeling wrongly accused, Disney has a problem.) Last year on our crusie my husband got unexpectedly seasick the first night due to rough seas, but a nap and a bonine helped him really quickly (but not before losing his dinner, in the cabin, in the toilet, not in any public area and nothing anyone would have to clean up). I'm starting to get nervous about our upcoming cruise that should something like this happen again, we will both be stuck in our cabin for half the cruise for no reason.

Does anyone (doctor, nurse etc.) know why Disney cannot set up the facilities on board to be able to test for Norwalk so at least they have something other than symptoms that are very normal on a cruise (ie nausea caused by seasickness) to base their decisions on? Would the lab facilities be too large to fit on the ship, or could they set something up temporarily just to make that determination? It seems like if Disney could do that, it would make a lot of people happy by guaranteeing that you are only quarantined if you NEED to be, not if you might possibly need to be.

Lisa

From what I understand the testing takes about 10 days. I'm not up to date in microbiology, but I think it's still a specialized kind of thing. It's just not practical to set up a lab for this type of testing. It's not something your average cruise ship employee (or Dr.) would be able to do. I would guess space, expense & expertise would all prevent DCL from doing routine testing.

It's a shame, because it would eliminate the problems we're hearing of.

Everyone take your bonine before you board & every day at the same time!

How is Norwalk virus infection diagnosed?

Laboratory diagnosis is difficult. Diagnosis is often based on the combination of symptoms, particularly the prominence of vomiting, little fever, and the short duration of illness. Actual proof of infection requires research laboratory techniques in which virus particles are identified by electron microscopy from samples of stool or vomitus.

I thought they had a lab onboard to test for these kinds of things;)

If they have the facilities, a blood count with differential, and possibly a couple other simple blood tests could,within a few hours, at least help determine who has an infection (viral, or whatnot) and who most likely does not.
There are recognizable shifts in blood counts when the body is reacting to a virus. And usually the shift is different from that caused by a bacterial infection.
Normal results in someone with suspicious symptoms means they probably do not have the virus.

Originally posted by Gillian
From what I understand the testing takes about 10 days. I'm not up to date in microbiology, but I think it's still a specialized kind of thing. It's just not practical to set up a lab for this type of testing. It's not something your average cruise ship employee (or Dr.) would be able to do. I would guess space, expense & expertise would all prevent DCL from doing routine testing.

It's a shame, because it would eliminate the problems we're hearing of.

Everyone take your bonine before you board & every day at the same time!

I don't see what good testing would do, really. Once carried on board the virus takes a day or two show symtoms. Once they test and identify plenty of people will have likely come in contact with the virus. Moreover, according to the CDC, you can by asymptomatic yet be a shredder of the virus. And those that do exhibit symptoms can carry the virus for up to two weeks, even after overcoming symptoms. How do you test those people? Sure quarantining will help some, but not a lot. It certainly would not eliminate it. The costs far outweigh the benefits, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter