Why Did Disney Do It?

pahoben

DIS Veteran
I really cannot understand why Disney disappeared Jiminy Cricket from the silver and little screens. He was a favorite character for me. The crime rate has skyrocketed as he has appeared less and less. Kids of today no longer have that wise cricket voice warning of the consequences of bad decisions. He was always like a sage advisor whispering in support of conscience to my generation. He had great songs.

Whenever my daughters watch Micky Mouse Clubhouse I think how much he could add to the show but no cricket. I understand that he wasn’t an anatomically correct cricket but Clarabelle doesn’t appear anatomically correct for a cow but she appears often.

I hope Disney resurrects one of their all time great characters and starts including Jiminy once again in shows. He was the most articulate and gracious of the old characters and deserves better.

I know!
Not on the TV, but I really miss him in wishes :( never fails to makes me cry when I listen to it.
Off topic, but the random change of lighting and music in MK makes me sob, and I've never cried at HOA.

I know!
Not on the TV, but I really miss him in wishes :( never fails to makes me cry when I listen to it.
Off topic, but the random change of lighting and music in MK makes me sob, and I've never cried at HOA.
Sorry about your sobbing in MK and happy that you don’t cry at HOA but what is HOA?

Sorry about your sobbing in MK and happy that you don’t cry at HOA but what is HOA?

I'll just chime in and say that's HEA - Happily Ever After.

Also, I never thought about the correlation between a lack of Jiminy Cricket and the crime rate. I wonder if they should do a study?

Send them a Tweet and let them know it bugs you! (Sorry. Couldn't resist!)
I guess Yoda is kind of like the Jiminy Cricket for the Jedi so not sure how he would fit the Star Wars story line. In GoG Groot feeds on cricket like creatures and so maybe a problem there (that would be really horrible if Groot ate Jiminy Cricket). The Hulk could use a behavior adviser certainly or Jiminy could be a trusted adviser to Nick Fury. If they have an Aengers musical then easy to slot him in.

I would like to include suggestions in my Tweet to Disney on how best to bring him back otherwise they may just ignore the tweet.

I'll just chime in and say that's HEA - Happily Ever After.

Also, I never thought about the correlation between a lack of Jiminy Cricket and the crime rate. I wonder if they should do a study?
Oh thanks on HEA. The meet and greets for Jiminy are also irregular. As much as Disney celebrates diversity you would think they would highlight a cricket that can really sing.

I am not sure you even need a study because the correlation is so strong. Really is self evident what has happened.

With each Disney film released at the theater they could easily inset a 1 minute reminder from Jimminy Crickett on any given topic. Likewise, on Disney Channel, Dinsey XD, Disney Jr. they could insert a commercial or between show mini clip of him and a message. It is a missed opportunity.

With each Disney film released at the theater they could easily inset a 1 minute reminder from Jimminy Crickett on any given topic. Likewise, on Disney Channel, Dinsey XD, Disney Jr. they could insert a commercial or between show mini clip of him and a message. It is a missed opportunity.
Really good suggestion.

It's a kind of funny story why those were put in to begin with on the various Disney channels. NTSC color television runs at 29.97 FPS, but most of the recording equipment through the 1980's, even color, shot at 30 fps, because it could sync to the electrical grid more easily and the older black and white equipment, and therefore all workflow, ran at 30 FPS, including telecine conversion from 24 FPS cinema film. Being very slightly sped up wasn't a problem for the actual program, but every hour this would accumulate to 3.6 seconds, so they'd need to put in a spot to correct the timing. Jim Hensen got his start by filling them with a few seconds of ads using puppets, which later became the Muppets, but Disney filled the spot with Jiminy Cricket and did it with a commercial slot that was oddly timed. It became, "A thing," and stuck around for much longer than it was needed, and originally wasn't on PAL stations because they used a straight 25 FPS system.

The reason NTSC moved from 30 to 29.97 when color TV came along involves a lot of math and is a whole other story, of course. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!