Why Disney is BETTER as an adult!!

As a kid you know you're having fun and you remember you had a great time but as an adult you remember why you had a great time.
Also...
1. Merch
2. Margaritas
3. Being able to watch the fireworks without being overtired (or too overtired I should say)
4. Merch
5. Appreciating the food, especially the signature dining
6. Merch

I treasure my adult trips, especially the ones with my sister, sister-in-law and adult niece. We can just have fun and be silly together without having to worry about taking care of anyone else. We have cocktails and get giggly (but never out of control), we share lots of dishes at Food & Wine so we can taste tons of things, we enjoy a few table service meals at a leisurely pace, and we hit all of our favorite rides without feeling pressured to do everything since we’ve been there before. We enjoy our pool time as well as shopping wherever and whenever we want. We also like to watch the entertainment as Disney Springs and Epcot, and... it’s the only place that I truly don’t think about work.

After going to WDW alone (previously either a child at DL or a family trip with young nieces to DL) I can't imagine going with kids. I did what I wanted when I wanted. I spent an entire day playing SotMK and sitting on benches watching people and taking in the scenery. I didn't have to deal with nap times or melt downs (that weren't my own, at least). It was so freeing.

Best thing about doing Disney as an adult (and especially on your Jack Jones) is that you appreciate the intricate details more, and best of all, you have the freedom!

The best thing about a solo trip is to be able to do everything at your own pace.

I had a 6-day solo trip to Disneyland several years back (2 of those days I met family/friends in the park), and though I was a Ride Warrior for the first 2 days, I really, really enjoyed the remaining days by slowing down and letting myself relax.

Over those 4 days, I made little games for myself... one day I made it a goal to check out every shopping location in the park. One day I brought my camera and took about a thousand picture of scenery, architectural details, flowers, topiaries, etc. One day I only rode attractions that weren't based on a film. By day 6, I was very relaxed, and actually spent some time on benches people-watching.

I've always wanted to repeat this at Walt Disney World, but now I'm married (to another Disney nut and Ride Warrior) and that would be a hard sell!

As a kid, the fun is organised for you. As an adult with kid/s you are the one that has to organise the fun. For me, that means spending my time in WDW checking that kid/s are enjoying themselves and worrying if they're not (and let's face it, no kid is happy all of the time, even in WDW :furious: ...we've all seen the meltdowns).

Adults only is definitely more easy going, more go with the flow. Having said that, my first trip with my boyfriend was his first ever visit so I was still in 'must make sure he loves it' mode.

Sooooo...perhaps Disney solo is the best Disney of all??? :scratchin

(Just kidding if you're reading this, Treacle 😬 )

Last edited:
DH & I took DD (now almost 22) on annual trips to WDW and they were always wonderful. However, for my 50th birthday a couple years ago DH & I went on a 3-night trip by ourselves and it is the trip DH remembers and says he enjoyed the most - probably because we did so many things we'd never done before -

Went in May - Flower & Garden Festival
Stayed in an Epcot area resort - Beach Club
Took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour
Ate dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse & Flying Fish

Loved it!!!!

Last year we went to Food & Wine with DD for her 21st birthday and it was a blast! Adulting at Disney is awesome. :love:

I've done Disney parks with extended family (DLRP) and immediate family as well as solo. I'm one of those idiots who put everyone else first. I paid for my Mother, older sister and her kids to go to DLRP and I was made to put everyone else's wishes first. It was the same with my trips with my daughter. I love solo trips as it's all about me and it's the only time I can put me first.

My husband and I started our married life out at Disneyland. I grew up in Southern California so going to Disneyland was a normal thing for us a couple times a year. It was my husbands first time (though he had been to DW once as a teenager). He fell in love with it as much as me, and this year we will be celebrating our 24th anniversary there in September! I loved taking our kids through the years (and next year will be taking our twin grand daughters), but there is something special to us about being there sans kids. Last year we were there 12 days with our youngest (14) and neice (16). All she did was complain about being too hot and waking up too early! That is what makes it nice not to have kids in tow, even teens. Like everyone else has mentioned, WS in Epcot is a wonderful place to stroll in the evening. This year we are staying at the Boardwalk inn so just a sort walk right into WS. By nature I am a planner, but unlike many who travel to the World I like to play it by ear, no DR's, or set in stone activities. We know we will be attending the MNSSHP, but will wait until we get there to purchase our tickets. That has to be our favorite, dressing up and trick or treating at our age, 47 and 49!! Not to mention the short lines for rides.

My first trip to DW was as a child the year it opened. Started taking our children when the oldest was 4 and have been several times as we all love it so. But, I don't think I truly appreciated the magic until DH and I went by ourselves. It is simply an entirely different experience as others have said. It's like I am still a gleeful child but with the ability to make my own decisions on what to see, where to eat (at places that don't have chicken fingers and fries!), what merch to buy, see shows that interest ME etc. We've ridden everything over the years so there is no compulsion to hurry and get everything in. So much more relaxing as adults.

I stepped foot in Disney World once as a child. I have a child-sized mickey hat. I think we had a character breakfast at the Contemporary (I think I met Donald & maybe Goofy there). I think I went on Dumbo. I think we went on Maelstrom and our boat got stuck on the turntable.

One of the advantages of going to Disney parks as an adult is that you will absolutely remember everything. I will remember the resort stays (Animal Kingdom, Port Orleans Riverside, and upcoming I'm sure I'll remember Coronado Springs). I'll remember my favorite character interactions and getting autographs (really wish I did this as a kid). I will remember the extras (vip tours, wild africa trek, after hours, and upcoming the MVMCP). Oh and of course the food. Not all of it is great, but the stuff that is along with experiences creates lasting memories.

Overall, Disney as an adult is great because you can plan for yourself (and other adults) and create even more unique memories than as a kid.

As an adult without kids, I can really appreciate everything. When I went as a child, I hardly remember the world showcase and talking with my mom, she doesn't think we even went around the whole loop. Now, I can really take in the experience and the learning aspect of Disney. I think being an adult really makes you aware of the work and dedication Disney does for the parks as a whole, but as a kid you chalk it up to the "magic" both give you a sense of awe, but I think the adult experience hit me harder. The only thing worse would be the character meets and possibly the lack of legroom on some of the rides

I am a 30 year old without kids, and it is the best thing ever to go to Disney World without kids. Because I can truly immerse myself in Disney without many distractions. I never got to go to Disney World as a young child. I only got the opportunity to start going in the past few years. I have a trip planned next year in May 2020, it will be my 4th trip in the past few years. I’ve only ever gone to Disney World with other adults, which I feel fortunate about. I love being able to go to the parks at rope drop and stay until the park closes. I love being able to completely plan out my trip and actually do what I want to do because the only person I’m responsible for is myself. As an adult I go on the rides and I’m just blown away every single time, I appreciate the beauty and everything that has gone into creating these incredible rides and shows. Because I’ve only been as an adult I actually vividly remember my trips and have such incredible memories of my time at Disney.

I enjoy going to WDW with my wife and son, and making memories with them, but I also have a great time solo. I travel to FL a few times a year, and I can get a multi-day military park-hopper ticket, so I'll usually take an early flight on my travel day and visit the parks, and sometimes an afternoon/evening on other work days. I plan Fastpasses well and can do all my favorite attractions at EPCOT, DHS, and MK in one day. Then I'll go to DAK on another day.

I always enjoyed the Disney parks, and went occasionally as a kid and as an adult, but I became a really big fan just about 7 years ago. I was planning a family trip and started listening to Disney podcasts and learning all the details about the parks, and that made me into a much bigger fan.

We started going to Disney when our kids were 3 and 5. Early to bed, early to rise. Lots of character stops. We'd go about every other year. Then, blink, kids are now adults. Suddenly, we'd get to pause and enjoy a margarita at noon! A stop for a pint and no one complains! Stay late in the parks and be the last few guests ushered out, fabulous! Now one kid became a CM and all our trips revolved around precious time off, but we LOVE our insider stuff!

I absolutely loved going to DW when our kids were young. As Boopuff said, "blink, kids are now adults". My wife and I still go to DW occasionally and enjoy it.

Things we don't miss:
"Are we there yet?"
"I'm bored."
"Can I get a toy?" (multiple times)
and the occasional struggle that occurs when you have two boys close in age.

Things that are new and enjoyable without the kids:
Sights, sounds, smells, and tastes, when you take your time and notice the details. Oh, and my wife never complains.

...The article got me thinking: Why do I enjoy the parks so much MORE as an adult than I ever could have as a child?

A few that jump right to mind:

- I can now enjoy the parks with my wife, who also loves Disney
- I can "make the magic happen" for my OWN children
- Now, I get to pick the park(s) and resort(s) I want to visit!
- 4 words: GRAND MARNIER ORANGE SLUSHIE!!
- Romantic dinners at our favorite Disney restaurants with said wife
- Control over the daily itinerary
- Possessing a deeper understanding of how the parks work - which is VERY fascinating to me
- I can someday join DVC (#lifegoals)
- MERCH!

Agreed!! But most importantly, where do I get this amazing drink? :cutie:

Like someone else in here said, never went as a kid. Started in late 50’s now i’m 65 and doing my first solo in Jan. Really excited to go without grand children. I know it will be a slower more relaxing pace. Get up when i want, eat when i want, park hop to my hearts content. Go to Disney Springs and eat, which the kids never want to do. It seems like it will be heaven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!