Why do servers ask are you on the dining plan?

married2mm

DIS Veteran
And if you are-

What difference does it make when the server asks if all the party are on the same plan?

Is sharing credits frowned upon?

Is the method of payment relevant?

I believe they ask because a) people forget to mention it and b) there are sometimes restrictions as to what you can/can't order based on what your plan includes (dessert, apps, alcohol, etc) so the server needs to know when they're ringing everything in what's covered under a plan and what a diner will be paying for OOP.

As far as I know, you can share credits without problem. For example, when we used the dining plan, we would often have leftover snack credits. We would cash them all in at the end rather than each of us using one each day.

Yes the method of payment is relevant.
They always ask if on meal plan for snacks or whatever. Some people pay for certain snacks or certain meals. We had a guest pop in for the day and I used a credit for them. No big deal. Just takes from the pool of credits we have

Do they also verify that you have adequate credits before taking your order? I’ve not done the dining plan but once sat next to a family at Via Napoli who left without ordering as they didn’t have credits and didn’t want to pay cash.

Do they also verify that you have adequate credits before taking your order? I’ve not done the dining plan but once sat next to a family at Via Napoli who left without ordering as they didn’t have credits and didn’t want to pay cash.
Isn't that interesting, do they check to see if you people on the DDP have the credits needed for a meal? Never occurred to me, as I've only done the Deluxe dining plan less than a handful of times. Interesting thread.

So they can give you subpar service because the tip is guaranteed?

As for those jerks who skipped out Since Disney should know who they are and where they are staying I hope they got an unpleasant surprise at check out.

We almost always get the Deluxe Dining Plan, and have realized from experience that when the servers learn we have the DDDP they immediately start recommending the most expensive appetizers, entrees and drinks on the menu. :tigger: This is our waiter after learning we have the Deluxe and will probably be spending A LOT for our meals. LOL

So they can give you subpar service because the tip is guaranteed?

As for those jerks who skipped out Since Disney should know who they are and where they are staying I hope they got an unpleasant surprise at check out.
tip has not been guaranteed - included - for quite a number of years.

nobody skipped out without paying. The statement to which you seem to be referring said, "...a family at Via Napoli who left without ordering... "

They ask so they can remind you that you get an appetizer and anything else that will drive the tip up.

Is the cynicism really necessary? Wouldn't a more accurate statement be what KrazeeK120 said: "My guess is that they ask so that they can properly guide you regarding what is/is not included on the plan"?
It's not cynicism. It affects them (wait staff) positively when people order more. It's admittedly not a complete answer, which could likewise begin and end with, "because their service script included the line..." but I dont think this version really explains the situation either.

There is a reason servers always look thrilled when we let them know we went DxDDP.

To be clear, a good waiter drives up the ticket price with good service. Ever leave an ice cream shop without buying? I have. It's not because icecream suddenly lost its appeal.

So do we have an answer, do they check or they assume you know how many credits you have? Which seems kind of like throwing caution to the wind to me, but... You could get into a downright pickle if you lost count, though your reservations/planning guides you.

There is a reason servers always look thrilled when we let them know we went DxDDP.
Not everybody is you. I would expect far more visitors have the standard plan. Appetizers are not included on this plan. Therefore, CMs ask so they can .- again - advise what is/is not included.
To be clear, a good waiter drives up the ticket price with good service.
True of good servers worldwide. Not restricted to Disney.

Maybe this family was planning to share credits--order 1 pizza for 2 people, or 2 pizzas for 4 people, or whatever--which is not allowed at Via Napoli.

So they can repeatedly remind you that tips aren't included.

I about snapped on one waiter who told me 4 times that the tip wasn't included. Did my face say "I don't tip?" I had this happen several times on my first DDP trip.

My guess is that they ask so that they can properly guide you regarding what is/is not included on the plan when you order. If you’re not on the plan, it doesn’t matter what you order. Again, just a guess.

This.

Regardless of what some might say here, the DDP doesn't allow you to order "whatever you want" from the menu. They ask so that they can lead you through your order so that you stay within the confines of what is considered part of your meal entitlement.

If you're not on the DDP, anything goes.

Wouldn't a more accurate statement be what KrazeeK120 said: "My guess is that they ask so that they can properly guide you regarding what is/is not included on the plan"?
That is mostly my take from overhearing conversations with nearby tables on one of the plans ( we don't get them). Prevents confusion regarding appetizers ( included on DXDP not DDP unless it is a Pre Fixe meal) or sides ( Out of Pocket for everyone). Not to mention the number of credits needed with items for 2 people. Now with Adult beverages included make sure you know what drinks are included and which are not. That way the waiter can hopefully prevent any surprises to the customer when they get the check.i

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter