Why do servers ask are you on the dining plan?

Wow... Judge not and all that.
I have only once in my over 30 visits at WDW had poor service. We are almost always on one dining plan or the other. I have NEVER heard from anyone else saying they had poor service because they were on the Dining plan.
AND, secondly, the family MAY NOT have had enough funds to pay out of pocket and believed they had enough credits. That actually happened to our grandson and his GF at a restaurant. The wait staff (mistakenly) told them (PRIOR TO ORDERING) that they did not have enough credits. We were in HS they were in Epcot. So, they left, and called us. We were able to immediately reach our TA who straightened everything out without us having to go to guest services. Disney gave them 2 free dining credits for the hassle and arranged for them to go back and eat there with an open ADR.
So please, before you react so harshly, realize that there may be underlying reasons THAT YOU ARE UNAWARE OF.
Jeepers, first let me apologize, I have no idea where the "You People" came from, seriously, I was using my Iphone and obviously didn't proofread what I wrote. Having used the dining plan myself a few times, there's no judgement. I had a sincere interest in knowing the answer, as I don't recall the few times we did a DP how it went. So, from your experience with your grandson, they check before or as you order to see if there are enough credits available? I don't think it can work, if they wait till the end to check!

Last edited:
Jeepers, first let me apologize, I have no idea where the "You People" came from, seriously, I was using my Iphone and obviously didn't proofread what I wrote. Having used the dining plan myself a few times, there's no judgement. I had a sincere interest in knowing the answer, as I don't recall the few times we did a DP how it went. So, from your experience with your grandson, they check before or as you order to see if there are enough credits available? I don't think it can work, if they wait till the end to check!

@BEASLYBOO
I edited my post to say that somehow (probably my fat arthritc fingers) I accidentally put in your post, when my intent was to respond to @OrangeCountyCommuter
So I APOLOGIZE.
I, in no way felt you were out of line, but quite frankly I was a little upset the response that

@OrangeCountyCommuter posted.

"So they can give you subpar service because the tip is guaranteed?

As for those jerks who skipped out Since Disney should know who they are and where they are staying I hope they got an unpleasant surprise at check out."

You were respectful... Again I apologize for placing you in a position where you felt you had to defend yourself.
My response, and I still feel that way, is that #1, I don't believe that servers ask a question to get a tip, and #2, since that poster was not even privy to the original VN experience, they should not make a judgements to why that family would left.
It all got very muddled, simply because I responded to the wrong quote.

And, yes, they always ask beforehand. My belief is that a server at Disney must learn a script for when they introduce themselves, and included in the script are the questions about DDP and TIW. They are doing their job by Disney's playbook. And thank heavens they DID ask my grandson. Evidently the plan was loaded onto our magic bands, but not on theirs. Fortunately, it was an easy fix (our TA was the best, I swear!) with Disney making up for any embarrassment to the young couple. (They were 19 at the time, and they were really quite embarrassed.) But, it all worked out, and at least they weren't pressed into service washing dishes for their supper, lol.
I know I say this a lot. I have rarely had rude/disrespectful CMs, and only ONE out of hundreds of servers stick out in my mind for giving poor service. I have never felt rushed during a meal or pressured to leave a certain amount for a tip. In fact I've felt I get better service at WDW than most other vacation spots.
Have a fabulous evening!

@BEASLYBOO
I edited my post to say that somehow (probably my fat arthritc fingers) I accidentally put in your post, when my intent was to respond to @OrangeCountyCommuter
So I APOLOGIZE.
I, in no way felt you were out of line, but quite frankly I was a little upset the response that

@OrangeCountyCommuter posted.

"So they can give you subpar service because the tip is guaranteed?

As for those jerks who skipped out Since Disney should know who they are and where they are staying I hope they got an unpleasant surprise at check out."

You were respectful... Again I apologize for placing you in a position where you felt you had to defend yourself.
My response, and I still feel that way, is that #1, I don't believe that servers ask a question to get a tip, and #2, since that poster was not even privy to the original VN experience, they should not make a judgements to why that family would left.

And, yes, they always ask beforehand. My belief is that a server at Disney must learn a script for when they introduce themselves, and included in the script are the questions about DDP and TIW. They are doing their job by Disney's playbook. And thank heavens they DID ask my grandson. Evidently the plan was loaded onto our magic bands, but not on theirs. Fortunately, it was an easy fix (our TA was the best, I swear!) with Disney making up for any embarrassment to the young couple. (They were 19 at the time, and they were really quite embarrassed.) But, it all worked out, and at least they weren't pressed into service washing dishes for their supper, lol.
I know I say this a lot. I have rarely had rude/disrespectful CMs, and only ONE out of hundreds of servers stick out in my mind for giving poor service. I have never felt rushed during a meal or pressured to leave a certain amount for a tip. In fact I've felt I get better service at WDW than most other vacation spots.
Have a fabulous evening!

I also have only had one experience that made me go to a manager to address the service. And that is in 14 years of Disney travel. That is a darn good track record IMO.

I also have only had one experience that made me go to a manager to address the service. And that is in 14 years of Disney travel. That is a darn good track record IMO.
Honestly, IMO, Disney trains their people, they have to keep the smiles on their faces, making us feel special, and I can’t complain, I don’t recall a single incident where I had poor service. I’ve had inexperienced servers but I can live with that, everybody needs time to learn.

We just got our TiW card and used it for the first time at the bar at Morimoto. We told our server it was our first time using it. He was great and went over the bill with us, pointing out both the discount and the fact that the tip had already been included. He even reiterated to always remember the tip is included because some people forget and accidentally tip twice. We tip more than 18% as a general rule so we did add an additional tip but thought it was great he pointed it out.

We use TIW and mention that when asked if we have a dining plan. We always mention that I will be using my band to pay. By mentioning, it makes paying the bill take less time I think. We have always been happy with service as far as I can remember when we use TIW.

Now that we pay OOP I do notice a sense of "relief" from the waiter when we tell them we don't have the DDP. They don't have to give the big speech of how the DDP works, what is included, what isn't included, what can be shared, what can't be shared, etc. And I never get reminded about the tip. :upsidedow

Yes, I've noticed this since we started going yearly in 2013. Servers are VERY happy when we indicate we are NOT on the DDP.

I used to be a server at WDW, and I would always ask if guests were on the plan so I could explain to them what was included in the meal (you'd be amazed how many people have absolutely NO idea what comes included with their dining plan, or have had bad advice from TAs, or are just generally overwhelmed). I would tell them what was included and what wasn't included, and then ask if they had specific questions. As soon as guests said they were on the dining plan, I would scan their bands to verify they were actually on the type of plan they thought they were, to see how many adults/kids they had, and to make sure they had enough credits left. I must admit that there was some relief when people weren't on the plan, especially at the end of a long day, because I was exhausted having to explain everything!

I used to be a server at WDW, and I would always ask if guests were on the plan so I could explain to them what was included in the meal (you'd be amazed how many people have absolutely NO idea what comes included with their dining plan, or have had bad advice from TAs, or are just generally overwhelmed). I would tell them what was included and what wasn't included, and then ask if they had specific questions. As soon as guests said they were on the dining plan, I would scan their bands to verify they were actually on the type of plan they thought they were, to see how many adults/kids they had, and to make sure they had enough credits left. I must admit that there was some relief when people weren't on the plan, especially at the end of a long day, because I was exhausted having to explain everything!

So-for example a family of 3 have d ddp
But they are eating with 2 extras (on qsdp)
At a table service/ signature restaurant..

Is it acceptable for the larger family to utilise their credits for the whole party?

So-for example a family of 3 have d ddp
But they are eating with 2 extras (on qsdp)
At a table service/ signature restaurant..

Is it acceptable for the larger family to utilise their credits for the whole party?
Yes, we've done it before with family members staying in other rooms with different dining plan.
We used ours for Cali Grill brunch (Signature - 2 TS credits a piece) on our deluxe dining plan. And then used theirs a few days later for CS meals.

But really, the servers are mostly hard-working folk who are just doing their job. I have had pretty outstanding service, generally, over the years. If you want a more relaxed meal, I find the service tends to be superior and less rushed overall at the resort restaurants compared to the theme-park ones, with a few exceptions here and there.
This has been our experience as well.

I have been asked at the beginning of the meal about TiW.

If the server were to say specifically "do you have tables in wonderland?" I'd say "yes". But they haven't, not to me at least. They ask about a dining PLAN, and TIW isn't a dining plan. It's a discount card. I don't not mention it b/c of fear of poor service. I don't mention it because it's not a plan.

And I have read that they don't have to run it twice anymore, not since MBs got a bit better.

Ugh, I've done that. No fun.

We just got our TiW card and used it for the first time at the bar at Morimoto. We told our server it was our first time using it. He was great and went over the bill with us, pointing out both the discount and the fact that the tip had already been included. He even reiterated to always remember the tip is included because some people forget and accidentally tip twice. We tip more than 18% as a general rule so we did add an additional tip but thought it was great he pointed it out.

That was very good of him!

By mentioning, it makes paying the bill take less time I think.

I thik they can actually do it at the table now without having to get a manager's approval. Back the first time we had TIW they had to do it twice, but since then, no.

I believe that the newer rules for DPP say that you can use the credits for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter