why do some people think WDW is so much better than DLR?

sherilaine

DIS Veteran
Do any others have friends, co-workers, family members who seem to look down on DLR compared to WDW? It seems most of these people I know have never even travelled to DLR but yet they think it's common knowledge that WDW is soooo much better. :confused3

Now I do not think that either resort has to be better and I often just reply how they are both different and each one has their pros and cons but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I think it's great that there are parks on both sides of the continent as otherwise imagine how busy only one would be?? :crowded:

My kids are not even interested in going to WDW at this point, because DLR is the original park and now with Carsland, well they really do not see the point. They'd rather do a cruise or go to Hawaii and stay at Aulani (like that's a cheap alternative). :upsidedow

Anyway just wondering if anyone else is tired of these kind of remarks?

I have been fortunate to be able to visit DL, my other home!, WDW and DLP (Paris). While I have enjoyed all 3 parks, I will not go back to DLP (did not like it) a trip ever 5 years or so to WDW is fine.
Disneyland is home. I call myself a "purist".
I dont know why people put down DL either because without it you wouldnt have anything else.
Each park has something to offer in its own way, yes, even DLP wins for best castle.
People want to get into debates about this, just know what you like and dont let it get to you.
Looking to someday seeing the Asian parks.:hippie:

Sounds like you haven't experienced WDW. I went to DL last year for the first time and absolutely loved it. In fact, I am going back this weekend. I live in Illinois. However, when you go to WDW, you totally immerse yourself in the magic. For example, we fly to Orlando Int'l Airport and go straight to the Disney Magic Express bus which takes us to our chosen resort. Our bags 'magically' appear in a few hours in our room. There are so many options for lodging, dining, shopping, not to mention 2 water parks and mini golf courses (all Disney themed). AND there are 4 parks. Buses, monorails, ferries for transportation. Beautiful scenery all around you. When your day to depart comes, you take your bags to the airport check-in desk at each resort, hop on the bus and back to the airport you go.

Silly question. It's because the castle is bigger. ;)

OK, just kidding. We live in middle America so it's about as far to one park as the other. I'm back and forth on which I like better. What usually seals the deal for us is that we can take a 10 day trip to WDW for about the same (or less) than it will cost us to do 5-7 days at DLR this December.

We love the full immersion into the Disney bubble. The value resorts they have at WDW make it affordable to stay fully immersed.

We love the wide array of restaurants available throughout WDW. We love the huge variety of character meals in particular.

We're not huge Epcot fans, but for some, they love Epcot enough that it alone makes them prefer WDW.

Park for park though, we prefer DL to MK. Even if the castle is smaller. :)

They like humidity :confused3 and it taking forever to get anywhere.
WDW is fantastic - I'm an Epcot fan *I too prefer the original Magic Kingdom over the Orlando version*
DLR will always be number one for me.

I wish we could just let the whole comparison topic die for a while. There's no way this won't end up as another DLR vs WDW thread.

I wish we could just let the whole comparison topic die for a while. There's no way this won't end up as another DLR vs WDW thread.

I was going to say that clearly some folks didn't read all of the recent WDW vs. DL threads or the corresponding one that called for a ceasefire on the issue.

I am not asking to compare them - I am asking why people need to put down DLR. I have never been to WDW so why on earth would I say anything bad about it - you have to experience something before having much by way of opinion on it.

My issue is with people who have never been to DLR and yet still think it is far inferior to WDW - that is not comparing - that is just a preconceived notion and I do not know where it comes from.

I do hope to go to WDW someday - maybe when the kids are older, and I do hope that I do not go there and all I do is compare it to DLR, as that would not be fair to either park.

I was going to say that clearly some folks didn't read all of the recent WDW vs. DL threads or the corresponding one that called for a ceasefire on the issue.

I guess I missed these threads and certainly did not dig into them deep enough to realize there was a ceasefire called on the topic. My question is coming from discussions with people outside of these boards - which is why I brought it to this board to gain some answers.

Sherilaine,

I suggest you check out some of the threads recently moved to the DL community board as this was just discussed. I'm on my phone and can't link right now.

Consequently this thread will probably also be moved since it doesn't involve DL planning.

It is Pepsi vs. Coke. No right or wrong.

I live in a house that is divided, I love DLR, my husband prefers WDW , and we each have visited both parks.

It just comes down to preference. :-)

It is the "Disney Magic" component. If you remove the Disney Magic factor that most of us...especially on this board...feel and you look at it purely as a theme park destination as I would suspect that a majority of non Disney fanatics do, WDW has a LOT more to offer as far as a vacation destination.

I can totally understand if you are looking for the vacation of your life...or even year...why you would choose WDW over DL. If you are looking for the "Disney Experience"...well, you know where to go!

A huge part of it is that the Walt Disney Company has a vested interest in promoting WDW over DLR due to their massive financial investment in the Orlando area. You hardly ever see DLR ads and TV commercials in most of country except for the Southwestern corner of the US. Even Cars Land has not received near the national publicity you might expect because Disney does not want to hurt WDW's attendance.

A huge part of it is that the Walt Disney Company has a vested interest in promoting WDW over DLR due to their massive financial investment in the Orlando area. You hardly ever see DLR ads and TV commercials in most of country except for the Southwestern corner of the US. Even Cars Land has not received near the national publicity you might expect because Disney does not want to hurt WDW's attendance.

Yes, I was even surprised when I first came to DISBoards a few years ago and found a majority of the categories on this site are dedicated to WDW. You have to scroll over half way down on the main forums page to find the few categories relating to DLR in California. I understand it because there are more total visitors to the Orlando parks, but it still surprised me. You try searching for info on Disneyland/DCA and you often find tons of info on WDW and then if you dig deep enough, oh by the way here is some info on DL also.

I think they are totally different and cannot even be compared. I grew up going to DL, love it, always will, and i especially love how I can get from the back of one park to the back of the other in about 10 minutes, walking. And it is close to my home.

Now, I haven't been to WDW in years, and we are going in July! I am so excited. It seems to me to be more of a vacation spot, people stay for ages. They seem to offer so much more. I think I will love it also. And continue gang to both because they are both awesome.

My first love is Disneyland for sure. Love the original park, weather, and all of what California has to offer.

What do I like about WDW? Is that the question?

WDW has better food, better resort choices, and more stuff to do like renting sea raycers on Seven Seas Lagoon. There's no denying the fun of WDW.

Now for all those people that hate the discussion on WDW vs. Disneyland. I like it! Isn't this a discussion board anyways? I don't condone bashing one over the other but I think comparing the two is fun. Say for instance Splash Mountain. My favorite ride of all time at Disney. WDW's version is better in my opinion. I like sitting two next to each other and the ride doesn't race through the animatronics section. It also has an extra dip/hill. And don't get me started how much better Pirates is at Disneyland vs. WDW. It's all in good fun. Let them discuss! ;)

Sherilaine, I get what you're asking and I can see this is not a DL vs. WDW smackdown. What are the reasons that people who never visited DLR automatically write it off and consider it inferior to WDW? I know the answer.

They're muggles.

There ya go. *wipes hands*

:lmao:

Yes, I was even surprised when I first came to DISBoards a few years ago and found a majority of the categories on this site are dedicated to WDW. You have to scroll over half way down on the main forums page to find the few categories relating to DLR in California. I understand it because there are more total visitors to the Orlando parks, but it still surprised me.

There are more visitors to WDW, but isn't that partially due to a conscious effort on the part of Disney to promote one resort over the other? People complain about the crowds at DL but just imagine how packed the parks would be if DLR advertised nationally the way WDW does?

People who've never been to Disneyland automatically write it off because WDW is bigger. Bigger automatically equals better.

It doesn't really bother me when people do this. Disneyland and California Adventure are starting to get too crowded anyway, and we need to keep the tourists away.

Kidding, of course!:rotfl:

I don't see how anyone can write off any of the Disney parks if they've never been. I myself can't wait to visit every Disney resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter