Why do we eat so much mush on Thanksgiving?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I've never been a huge fan of the traditional components of the American Thanksgiving meal (except for the turkey -- I LOOVVVEE turkey), and a few years ago I realized why: it's almost all mushy, and unless it's dairy, I don't care for that texture.

Seems like every veggie on the table is prepared "en casserole" Even the cranberries are reduced to jelly. The most traditional pie: smooth pumpkin custard. Mashed potatoes. Bread stuffing. I could go on forever.

How on earth did this meal end up this way? It's as if we were all hosting guests who are unable to chew.:confused3:confused3

That's actually a really great question. I make sweet potatoes for my son, and the casserole recipe is nearly the same as a pumpkin pie.

We do have a green vegetable, and a veggie tray, but other than that, you're right -- pretty mushy stuff, except for the pecans.

Our family doesn't do casseroles for a couple of reasons, including this. Our vegetables dishes are made with fresh ingredients and, when reasonable, the vegetables definitely are crisp. Spinach/turnip greens are going to be mushy, but green beans and brussel sprouts don't have to be.

That’s part of why I don’t like anything but the turkey...and fried turkey at that. They can keep the rest.

Not into mushy foods that shouldn't be mushy.

I actually like my stuffing on the dry side. Mashed potatoes slightly chunky. I do like Cranberry "jelly" vs whole fruit but it has been years since we have had whole fruit sauce.

Last edited:

Haha, good observation. I don't have the answer for you, but I have heard that people from other countries sometimes think the American diet is "juvenile" in the sense that so many things are cooked down to a mush texture, bones and eyes removed, heavily sugar sweetened, etc. So, here you've got a holiday that's celebrated with quintessentially American dishes and everything's mushy.... :scratchin Maybe they've got a point.

Haha, good observation. I don't have the answer for you, but I have heard that people from other countries sometimes think the American diet is "juvenile" in the sense that so many things are cooked down to a mush texture, bones and eyes removed, heavily sugar sweetened, etc. So, here you've got a holiday that's celebrated with quintessentially American dishes and everything's mushy.... :scratchin Maybe they've got a point.

And, so many traditional dishes (like the sweet potato thing) are not just mushy, but overly sweet. My nana put sugar in carrots and cole slaw...it was disgusting to the point that people would laugh about those dishes. Thank god about 20 years ago she finally gave that up. I can still remember how gross they both were.

I honestly don't really eat more at Holiday meals that I would normally.

Same here. Dessert is really the biggest difference and that's no unheard of during other times in the year but I don't usually have dessert at home.

ETA....in some instances, some food is probably extra mushy from being overcooked waiting for everything to be ready to go on the table at once.

Last edited:
And, so many traditional dishes (like the sweet potato thing) are not just mushy, but overly sweet. My nana put sugar in carrots and cole slaw...it was disgusting to the point that people would laugh about those dishes. Thank god about 20 years ago she finally gave that up. I can still remember how gross they both were.
My mother cooks meatballs in equal parts grape jelly and ketchup. :crazy2:

You don't put sugar in Cole slaw???

My grandparents ran a sort of fast food place for years and later on a catfish restaurant. Both very successful. One of the favorite things was Grandma's Cole slaw. Cabbage and carrots, sugar sprinkled over (she knew exactly how much) and it sat to let the juices come out of the cabbage. She then added mayo and a tiny amount of milk. It wasn't overly sweet but just right and so good.

I did work at a restaurant ran by a family. Usually the mom cooked most of the dishes but when she went on vacation one of her daughters would do it. The daughter added sugar to everything even the biscuits. Some customers loved it. Some not at all.

I completely agree with you and it's one of the main reasons I don't like the thanksgiving meal. (I don't host, so I have limited input into the menu.)

Not into mushy foods that shouldn't be mushy.

I actually like my stuffing on the dry side. Mashed potatoes slightly chunky. I do like Cranberry "jelly" vs whole fruit but it has been years since we have had whole fruit sauce.

This is what my Thanksgiving table looks like too, except I like the whole fruit cranberry sauce, I also like crisp fresh vegetables lightly cooked as opposed to the 'cooked to death kind'.

You don't put sugar in Cole slaw???

My grandparents ran a sort of fast food place for years and later on a catfish restaurant. Both very successful. One of the favorite things was Grandma's Cole slaw. Cabbage and carrots, sugar sprinkled over (she knew exactly how much) and it sat to let the juices come out of the cabbage. She then added mayo and a tiny amount of milk. It wasn't overly sweet but just right and so good.

I did work at a restaurant ran by a family. Usually the mom cooked most of the dishes but when she went on vacation one of her daughters would do it. The daughter added sugar to everything even the biscuits. Some customers loved it. Some not at all.
What?! No! (I know you weren't talking to me but I'll answer anyway. :laughing:) That's the type of thing I would automatically omit the sugar from if I saw it listed in the ingredients because, "That must be a typo -- who puts sugar in coleslaw?" :rotfl:

What?! No! (I know you weren't talking to me but I'll answer anyway. :laughing:) That's the type of thing I would automatically omit the sugar from if I saw it listed in the ingredients because, "That must be a typo -- who puts sugar in coleslaw?" :rotfl:

Every cole slaw recipe I've ever made called for a small amount of sugar with the exception of one that was supposed to have a robust vinegar taste to it.

I don't serve vegetable with much more than some herbs, spices or seasonings. Absolutely no green bean casserole, no sweet potatoes. The hubbard squash is roasted & does get mushy. Brussel sprouts and cauliflower are roasted, but not mushy. Carrots are steamed, not mushy -- sugar will absolutely get nowhere near them. Salad greens and all ingredients are crispy fresh with my homemade sesame lime dressing. Potatoes will be mashed, so mushy. Pumpkin pie is mushy. Sweet potato poundcake, tender and moist, not mushy. Apple pie not mushy. Pecan pie not mushy. Chocolate mousse pie I don't really consider mushy. Dressing will be both softer inside, crispier on top.

Every cole slaw recipe I've ever made called for a small amount of sugar with the exception of one that was supposed to have a robust vinegar taste to it.

This is the only acceptable cole slaw for mayo-hating me and my family. The nana - sugar with mayo type - just got left in the bowl. My mom started making a vinegary version and it's awesome. No sugar.

ETA: I was just on the phone with my dad talking about that cole slaw and how it wasn't crunchy and was kinda wet, so it was also mush...which I thought was a riot.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter