Why do you bring alcohol?

We do it to have drinks in our room - it's easier to have a little something in the fridge so you can sip a glass of champagne or drink a beer while, say, getting ready for dinner, rather than going over to the bar. Or to have a drink on your verandah in the evening in your PJs. :)

It's not just the markup. The beer on board is pretty much junk, and the wines outside of the adult restaurants aren't all that either. When you do finally get up to the good stuff, then the markup really starts to be an issue.

Fair point. My husband carried on a six pack of Bell's Two Hearted because that's just his favorite beer. DCL is not known for a good beer list.

I haven't brought any on board yet but I would next time. I spent way too much on drinks last time without realizing it. It can build up especially since we didn't pay until the end of the cruise. We knew we would have to pay for it at the end but for some reason not paying then and there kind of makes you forget and you're just like Thor slamming your glass on the table screaming "Another!".

Last edited:
Why would I pass up on the opportunity to bring 2 bottles of Champagne that I can buy for $40 at Total Wine, which sell for $100+ on the ship. Or better yet, I can bring a 6 pack of 12oz beers that are 18% abv (Dogfish Head 120) so I get more like an 18 pack.

:drinking1

It's not just the markup. The beer on board is pretty much junk, and the wines outside of the adult restaurants aren't all that either. When you do finally get up to the good stuff, then the markup really starts to be an issue.

We were told by our Concierge hosts that they are allowed to accept unopened wine as a gift but could not accept liquor when we offered them both (unopened) before we disembarked. YMMV.

Fair point. My husband carried on a six pack of Bell's Two Hearted because that's just his favorite beer. DCL is not known for a good beer list.
To be fair, it's an extensive beer list. But mostly inBev brands I think. And I get it - there are a lot of non-discerning casual beer drinkers on board, and to maximize your profits you go with the mass-produced domestics from around the world, at a high markup. Good for the bottom line, bad for people that like the taste of beer.

Just realize that even if you directly hand the unopened bottles of wine to your cabin host(ess), they cannot accept them. They will most likely say thank you to spare your feelings, but they are required to open them and dump them. Same is true for any alcohol left in the cabin when you disembark, whether sealed or open.

To gift wine, you need to go to Guest Services and get it approved. Then they can have it so long as you leave a note on it clearly indicating it is a gift.

We bring on wine because we like what we like, it's nice to have a glass while getting ready for dinner, and it does save money. This is going to be especially nice in Europe this summer when we can get the good European wines instead of just the ship selection.

I'm not a big drinker but I'll be spending some time prior to my upcoming Mediterranean cruise in Barcelona so it will be nice to be able to bring on board some local wine from there!

I'm not a big drinker but I'll be spending some time prior to my upcoming Mediterranean cruise in Barcelona so it will be nice to be able to bring on board some local wine from there!

This would definitely be important to me on a Med cruise! Or several other places in Europe for that matter. Or the Pacific Northwest.

We're sailing on the Fantasy on April 21st (10 days!!!) and we definitely plan to carry beer on. The night before we are staying at BC and then getting to the port via rental. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get beer is on the way? Does Publix have beer and, even better, a make your own 6-pack option? We plan on buying beer and a case of water so if I can go to a grocery store for this that would be perfect. And Greystr0ke great idea...I'll be looking beer with high %.

I haven't brought any on board yet but I would next time. I spent way too much on drinks last time without realizing it. It can build up especially since we didn't pay until the end of the cruise. We knew we would have to pay for it and the end but for some reason not paying then and there kind of makes you forget and you're just like Thor slamming your glass on the table screaming "Another!".

We are the same. For Alaska hoping to bring some champagne on to save some $$. Especially for the sail away and in the cabin on that first night. Probably a wine package for the rest of the trip. We like a glass of wine with dinner. By the time I buy the wine, pay the corkage fee-to us not worth it for that long of a trip. And I enjoy a martini-no way to get the fixings on board to make those on our own. It's vacation, will plan for the expense.

I like the convenience of having a bottle of wine in the stateroom so I can enjoy a glass without having to go to a bar to get one. Same with diet cokes. Not sure how much it costs to get a six-pack of diet coke from room service, so I have no idea how much I'm saving.

Why wouldn’t you!!
Firstly I love a drink on holiday-it’s the only time when I don’t have to drive anywhere so I like to indulge.
Secondly, just because you go on a Disney cruise it doesn’t necessarily mean you are minted! We scrimped and save and stay in the ‘cheapest’ cabin. I only buy one cocktail of the day each day but when you add on tax it still tells up very expensive. That’s why I appreciate the privilege of being able to carry on some wine and I take full advantage of it!!!

I understand bringing something that is not available on the ship. Otherwise, how much are you really saving with the limit of 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer? I'm wondering if the savings are worth the effort of lugging it around on your carry-on.
You can bring it on at each port. Actually you can save quite a bit of money.

Just realize that even if you directly hand the unopened bottles of wine to your cabin host(ess), they cannot accept them. They will most likely say thank you to spare your feelings, but they are required to open them and dump them. Same is true for any alcohol left in the cabin when you disembark, whether sealed or open.
Do they do the same with bottles of water?

We're sailing on the Fantasy on April 21st (10 days!!!) and we definitely plan to carry beer on. The night before we are staying at BC and then getting to the port via rental. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get beer is on the way? Does Publix have beer and, even better, a make your own 6-pack option? We plan on buying beer and a case of water so if I can go to a grocery store for this that would be perfect. And Greystr0ke great idea...I'll be looking beer with high %.

We're also on the 4/21 Fantasy too! There's a great thread on here called Craft Beer Drinkers Unite with lots of info. We usually just hit the grocery store but this year are going to try one of the locations recommended in that thread. As to why, better beer selection to enjoy on the balcony at a much lower price! We grab more at each port too. It's not really a pain to carry on at all, just put it in a small rolling suitcase with all your other carry on stuff.

We're also on the 4/21 Fantasy too! There's a great thread on here called Craft Beer Drinkers Unite with lots of info. We usually just hit the grocery store but this year are going to try one of the locations recommended in that thread. As to why, better beer selection to enjoy on the balcony at a much lower price! We grab more at each port too. It's not really a pain to carry on at all, just put it in a small rolling suitcase with all your other carry on stuff.

Awesome...we'll see you on the ship! Can't wait. I'll take a look at that thread. It can't come fast enough.

We bring on beer we can't get at home. There is always something new/unique to try in ports and its nice to be able to just open a beer from the fridge and have in the room if we are sitting on the verandah or watching a movie.

Great question. The bubbly prices are way too expensive for me on the ship!
Is there a good and cheap place to buy wine near the San Diego cruise terminal?

Great question. The bubbly prices are way too expensive for me on the ship!
Is there a good and cheap place to buy wine near the San Diego cruise terminal?

Also interested in San Diego, we sail out of there May 16th! I was going to assume there must a Trader Joe's near-ish the port? haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!