Why do you bring alcohol?

The room steward brought us glasses (four at a time) and took the ones we used each night and replenished them as needed. We brought our own cork screw.

Incredibly stupid newbie question here, apologies in advance:

Is there any issue with getting a cork screw through security for flights? It can't be viewed as a weapon or something?

We're sailing on the Fantasy on April 21st (10 days!!!) and we definitely plan to carry beer on. The night before we are staying at BC and then getting to the port via rental. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get beer is on the way? Does Publix have beer and, even better, a make your own 6-pack option? We plan on buying beer and a case of water so if I can go to a grocery store for this that would be perfect. And Greystr0ke great idea...I'll be looking beer with high %.
There is a publix right off the turnpike about 4 miles before you get to the port. We stopped there to get wine, water and sunscreen before our last cruise. There also is a gas station in the same parking lot, so we refilled the rental car on the same stop. super convenient!

I understand bringing something that is not available on the ship. Otherwise, how much are you really saving with the limit of 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer? I'm wondering if the savings are worth the effort of lugging it around on your carry-on.

It's not about saving money for us. We like certain wine and want to make sure we have access to what we like. The packages are fine and we have always purchased bottles onboard but we also enjoy knowing what we are opening. California raised...........

For us it is about the convenience and savings. Look, I'm not getting sloshed while on vacation with my kids, but I do enjoy a glass of wine while I get ready/eat dinner. So, if I can do it without trekking through the ship to get an overpriced one, then I'm going to do it! I think 2 bottles of wine will suffice for a 5 night cruise for my husband and myself.

Also interested in San Diego, we sail out of there May 16th! I was going to assume there must a Trader Joe's near-ish the port? haha

I know there's one on the way to Shelter Island. Go have dinner at the Bali Hai and grab libations on the way there or back.

I never actually felt that DCL's booze prices were that bad, especially when you can get a special. That said I still do bring some wine onboard for cabin use. And I still buy some drinks onboard while at the pool or waiting in a lounge before dinner. I like having the option to bring some onboard. I really liked when hard booze could be brought onboard!

MJ

Also interested in San Diego, we sail out of there May 16th! I was going to assume there must a Trader Joe's near-ish the port? haha

I'm not sure if there aren't near the port, but Bev Mo is another good option. Although I love Trader Joe's selection too. I miss SoCal and my access to good wine for a reasonable price. (PA is killing this CA girl!)

Put it in your checked bag. People have also had luck asking their room steward for one.

I actually have a corkscrew that lives in my suitcase. Otherwise I never ended up having one when I needed it so now I don't have to worry about it. Makes me sound like a lush, but there was more than one occasion where I bought one and then I didn't have it on the next trip so I just leave it there now. No issues with it being in my checked luggage.

I know there's one on the way to Shelter Island. Go have dinner at the Bali Hai and grab libations on the way there or back.

Oh my, that menu looks delicious!!!! We are returning our rental car the night before our cruise,but staying at the Wyndham. Google says 13 minutes by car so I think maybe an Uber to dinner and then a quick stop for wine on the way back to the hotel might be in order!

We have an extensive wine cellar and prefer not to pay the prices in the MDR for wine that is not as good as what we have at home. We still buy drinks and some wine on the ship (especially in Remy), but we like our wines.

I second the recommendation for Bali Hai, one of my favorites. Get the Mai Tai and stop for wine on the way back!

I'm wondering if the savings are worth the effort of lugging it around on your carry-on.

You're lugging it for, what, an hour? Put it in a rolling bag and you're rolling it, not lugging. The time that it's irritating is minimal compared to the time it's lovely. :)

I assume wine is the same way.

More so, IMO, depending on the wine.

We like a glass of wine with dinner. By the time I buy the wine, pay the corkage fee-to us not worth it for that long of a trip.

I think they only charge corkage once per bottle. Not sure if they hold the bottle for you. And you could always supplement. Bring wine on, buy wine there. Have a pre-dinner glass while getting ready to reduce your need for expensive wine with dinner.

Secondly, just because you go on a Disney cruise it doesn’t necessarily mean you are minted!

So true.

Incredibly stupid newbie question here, apologies in advance:

Is there any issue with getting a cork screw through security for flights? It can't be viewed as a weapon or something?

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

corkscrew with NO blade is generally OK in carryon.

It's not about saving money for us. We like certain wine and want to make sure we have access to what we like. The packages are fine and we have always purchased bottles onboard but we also enjoy knowing what we are opening. California raised...........

:) Same here but with beer. Except that most local beer (NW-adulted, though I did grow up with a mom who worked at Ridge Vineyards in Cupertino...) is in 22oz bottles, which aren't allowed. Grr.

Well, now it is 3-buck Chuck, but still a great savings!

Gosh it hasn't been 2 buck up in the Seattle area in years...

Google says 13 minutes by car so I think maybe an Uber to dinner and then a quick stop for wine on the way back to the hotel might be in order!

Remember that TJ closes at 9pm, and can be randomly closed for holidays (they were closed on easter after 5, for instance)... And in CA you'll need to bring or buy shopping bags.

Gosh it hasn't been 2 buck up in the Seattle area in years...

Remember that TJ closes at 9pm, and can be randomly closed for holidays (they were closed on easter after 5, for instance)... And in CA you'll need to bring or buy shopping bags.

Nor in NYC.

BUT it is open until 10pm here...so the 9pm close is not a company-wide thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter