Why does DHS close early tonight?

cel_disney

DIS Veteran
We are I the world and I just noticed DHS closes early tonight...I somehow totally missed that in my planning and we had a dinner ADR there as our second park (so we would arrive at 5, have a 6pm dinner). DOH!

What is going on there tonight? I'm afraid that we will not be able to see Osborne lights before or after dinner which was the whole reason for our journey there tonight! (Seriously off kilter here - I knew about the AP/DVC preview but not the closing early!!)

Is canceling an ADP still possible day off if we switch to a different restaurant?

Tonight is the Cast Member preview of the Osborne lights.
The lights will be turned on at 6pm for day guests and promptly turned off at 7pm (park closing time) to clear everyone out and then let the CM and their guests in for the preview.

We are I the world and I just noticed DHS closes early tonight...I somehow totally missed that in my planning and we had a dinner ADR there as our second park (so we would arrive at 5, have a 6pm dinner). DOH!

What is going on there tonight? I'm afraid that we will not be able to see Osborne lights before or after dinner which was the whole reason for our journey there tonight! (Seriously off kilter here - I knew about the AP/DVC preview but not the closing early!!)

Is canceling an ADP still possible day off if we switch to a different restaurant?

I may be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere on this board that there is a cast member event tonight.

I believe you will be able to eat dinner, but other than that I can't speak to if you'll get to see the lights. If you cancel you reservation, you will most likely be charged the no-show fee, as it is within a 24 hour period. You MAY be able to go talk to the restaurant but that is no guarantee.

I would call Disney Dining ASAP and explain what happened and see if they can switch your ADR to something earlier. They may or may not be able to help you and/or waive the no-show fee. If that doesn't work, yes, I would speak to the restaurant as soon as you arrive. Perhaps they can seat you closer to 5 pm, so you can get out to see the lights. If none of those work, you may have to decide what is more important - eating or seeing the lights and paying the no-show fee.

I would call Disney Dining ASAP and explain what happened and see if they can switch your ADR to something earlier. They may or may not be able to help you and/or waive the no-show fee. If that doesn't work, yes, I would speak to the restaurant as soon as you arrive. Perhaps they can seat you closer to 5 pm, so you can get out to see the lights. If none of those work, you may have to decide what is more important - eating or seeing the lights and paying the no-show fee.

Just as an FYI - I've been told that the no-show fee is waived at the discretion of the restaurant manager and that Disney Dining doesn't have the ability to guarantee that it will be waived. If this is incorrect, please correct me.

You could also try to change your dinner to one of the resorts at a later time.

Tonight is the CM preview of the lights (5 days after they've been turned on...) and the lights will be turned off at 7pm. I would call the restaurant or stop in and explain, you never know, they might be able to help you.

We also have a 5:30 ADR tonight. Maybe we will get to see the lights for a few minutes before they turn them off at 7:00. We would prefer not to come back Friday night

I rearranged our day so we have been in the park all day...we will see if we can get in earlier but if not we are probably going to end up using the ADR grace period to get a wink at them...we could come back tomorrow night but I think it's going to be a ZOO...

Another example of Disney disreguard for guest visiting the park. CM could not see the lights after 9 or 10? Why would they even need to preview them... they could have also done them last week before they were open to the public. Oh as a AP holder and DVC member I had no idea they were turned on early and I am staying over at BWV.

Another example of Disney disreguard for guest visiting the park. CM could not see the lights after 9 or 10? Why would they even need to preview them... they could have also done them last week before they were open to the public. Oh as a AP holder and DVC member I had no idea they were turned on early and I am staying over at BWV.

I wouldn't say closing at 7, a standard time for a Thursday night at this time of year, would be showing disregard for the guests. They aren't taking anything away that would normally be able to be experienced by closing at this time.

The cast preview starts at 9. And as for why they give a cast preview, Disney does amazingly care about their workers and does special things like this for them.

And for the final point, I don't see what being an AP/DVC has to do with knowing they have been on all week (a special treat since it isn't supposed to start until tomorrow), especially if you are on property. It has been in the times guide and the original news was posted here a few weeks ago.

It takes at least an hour and a half to clear the park, the CM and their guests will be viewing the lights closer to 9 pm. They give CM previews every year so this is not something new, it'a always the day before they open. This year Disney decided to do a "soft opening" and give guests an extra 6 days, I don't see that as disregarding the guest at all

DHS CMs were given printed credentials for tonight's preview. I'm sure the park schedule was set and these credentials were printed before Disney decided upon the soft open for guests.

I'm sorry you didn't do your research to find out the lights had been turned on early; it has been printed in times guides, on the Disney website, and on the app for the last 5 days. I don't know what your AP/DVC status has to do with any of that.

The CM preview happens every single year, with a hard close every time. Nothing new there. It's a time for the cast and their families to see the lights without the day guests, it's always something that is looked forward to. Disney does nice things for its cast every now and then.

So - our update...we talked to a few cast members and they all thought the lights would be on until 8:30 but agreed 7:30 (after Fantasmic) was still a safe time.

We were able to get into Dinner early and are just finishing up kids cupcakes now so we should have time to stroll around before they close! Thanks for all of the help!

So - our update...we talked to a few cast members and they all thought the lights would be on until 8:30 but agreed 7:30 (after Fantasmic) was still a safe time.

We were able to get into Dinner early and are just finishing up kids cupcakes now so we should have time to stroll around before they close! Thanks for all of the help!

Hope you got to see them!

One final update - we left the lights around 8pm, and the park around 8:10...they were not kicking folks out and they were also allowing cast members (with their pretty nifty credentials!) back in. It was a great night as the crowds at the lights were very low from 6:45-8pm while we were there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter