• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why does RunDisney still go to (other) expos?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
I was at the RockNRoll Chicago expo last weekend, and RunDisney had a booth. I know I've seen them (or heard of them) being at other race expos recently. Why?
The vast majority of their races are selling out within hours. They really don't need to "promote" their races, do they?
I'm still relatively new to the whole race/expo scene (my first big race was Tower of Terror 2013), so maybe there is some other benefit for RunDisney to be at these expos I don't know about?
Thanks for any insight! :)

I would say several reasons,they may be on a roll now but it wasn't that many years ago that the races didn't fill up right away and even then they had to offer a free entrance to the parks as an incentive to get people to sign up and even with incentives like that the races like the full in January had 7-8,000 fewer runners than they do today.Disney is smart enough to know what may be in today may not be as popular tomorrow.Second,the races are expensive compared to other races,not $20-$30 more per race but sometimes more than double other races runners don't have to travel as far to or spend a couple of thousands and make it a runcation.You also have more and more races all over the US to compete with Disney.Disney is also adding races,Disneyland just got two more and you know WDW has to be right behind and add at least one more.Also a lot of people running Disney races are not necessarily runners and doing a half or full to them is a one and done.For example I ran a race with several co workers last year and some of them are doing it again but others pretty much checked off running a half marathon of their bucket list and they likely won't run another one.I'm the only one who's like signed up for like a dozen races in the next 8 months,they just don't have the time or the money.I think you come to an expo for a race in say Chicago and you see all the shiny medals for all the races Disney offers wouldn't you think the chances someone is going to sign up for a Disney race will increase tenfold.Just thinking you can go to Orlando in the middle of Winter for the marathon weekend to get out the freezing weather up north wil get you on that computer the day the race opens.Disney races are without a doubt top notch premium races and they are selling out very fast but look at the Goofy challenge,it opened up over 3 months ago and is still at 79% sold so even now not everything is selling out in hours.Disney can afford to spend the money to go to expos to keep their races on the brain of everyone visiting the expo.

Also a lot of people running Disney races are not necessarily runners and doing a half or full to them is a one and done.

This would be my logic. runDisney events are not only great for all levels of runner, but VERY beginner friendly, and quite honestly run a hell of a lot better than some other big-name beginner-friendly events I've done.

This would be my logic. runDisney events are not only great for all levels of runner, but VERY beginner friendly, and quite honestly run a hell of a lot better than some other big-name beginner-friendly events I've done.

That's exactly why I chose a runDisney race as my first. But it did it's job and got me hooked and now I plan 2 or 3 rD races a year and have started looking at local races, too! I know seeing those shiny medals helped and I was on my computer when the PHM opened to sign up.

the only complaint that i have with run Disney being at other expos is that they give away cool swag for signing up for the races from back pack to sling bags and we all pay the same amount and don't get anything for signing up.

Wait do they have the shoes at other expos? I'm running the Chicago half 3 weeks and would love to buy a pair of shoes :)

I wondered the same thing too! The past RNR Races I have been to RunDisney was there but I was just at RnR VA Beach this past weekend and No Run Disney.

I wonder if they have an agreement with these other race groups -- ie, you come to my expo, I'll come to yours. Probably the same reason they advertise in magazines like Runners World -- I'll buy some ads, you give me some publicity.

I think it's for simple brand awareness. Lots of people who are new to running or have never run before have no idea that you can run races at Disney. They walk past the Disney booth at their first expo and see the Disney characters at the same time their kids do. Presto, whammo, now Disney has a new runner and a family has a new vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter