Why doesn't the doctor call..update

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
So I had test done last Friday and have been waiting for a call from the doctor all week. Usually I get the phone call 2-3 days after the tests. So I expected to hear from them on Wednesday. So far nothing. No phone call is suppose to be a good thing (I guess) but I haven't gotten the everything's good letter either. I have checked both the lab and the doctors portals and nothing is showing there either. So now it is the Weekend, while I am trying to stay positive, waiting & not knowing SUCKS!

Update post #16

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:
So I had test done last Friday and have been waiting for a call from the doctor all week. Usually I get the phone call 2-3 days after the tests. So I expected to hear from them on Wednesday. So far nothing. No phone call is suppose to be a good thing (I guess) but I haven't gotten the everything's good letter either. I have checked both the lab and the doctors portals and nothing is showing there either. So now it is the Weekend, while I am trying to stay positive, waiting & not knowing SUCKS!

Thanks for letting me vent.

I feel ya

Depends on what was ordered and wether or not the doctor is in the office to sign off on the results.

Some tests have to be sent out to an outside lab and take longer to get results. I had a patient’s ANA take 2 weeks to come back from ARUP once and they called every single day demanding I give them results I didn’t have.

If the doctor is not in the office (they get to take vacation time too) and they have not signed off on the results I am not legally allowed to tell you what they are. The only exception to this is if the results have a critical value come back, in which case the lab calls the on call doctor to look at them.

Why have they not called?
The lab is backed up.
They got the results late and have not had time to check them.
The doctor is sick.
The doctor is on vacation.
They got eaten by dinosaurs.

There could be a number of reasons. Call the office Monday and check. Be polite. Don't be a pest because sometimes things are out of their hands.

Reactions: Kae

Why doesn't the doctor call? Because it's a medical assistant in charge of calling you back....not a nurse.

How do you get the test results? You call twice a day every day until you get an answer. You make a total pest of yourself.
Actually it has always been the doctor who has called. And like I said usually within a few days. I’ve never needed to call.

I'm lucky. About five years ago my Doctor's group started doing everything online. I get an e-mail telling me my test results have been posted. I get them at the same time as the Doctor. And the tests include information on what a normal range is for those test results.
At least with blood work, I usually have the results within 6 hours, although one time I got them an hour after the blood draw.

I can get them online too but nothing is posted. Normal labs (blood/urine etc) I can see within a few hours. These tests go to a different lab and they won’t post for 7 days after the doctor receives them. I guess they don’t want you seeing you have cancer before the doctor talks to you. The office also posts anything that has been mailed. But nothing other than the office visit notes have been posted. So I am impatiently waiting.

Sorry you are having to wait to hear. I remember having to do a face to face visit with my doctor to get results of a biopsy. Not something he does on the phone. Since it was positive and he was able to then quickly tell me it was treatable and what treatment he recommended, I didn’t mind the wait. However, unlike you, the face to face visit where I received the diagnosis was the day after the biopsy was done. Not even an over the weekend wait. much less a week or more. Hoping for the best result for you.

I am glad i got mine thats how i knew i needed to take a irion supplement
I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia about 5 years ago. Took a boat load of blood tests to come up with that diagnosis too. Taking iron really helped me get my energy back. I still take it about every other day now to keep my levels up or I start seeing the symptoms again.

Well the doctor STILL hasn't called but I have my results. I guess you can call it good news/not so good news.

One test came back negative/normal, which is the one I was worried about because it came back "atypical" last year.

The other one came still HPV positive but no abnormal cells. So unless the doctor calls and wants more tests, it is just wait and try not to worry about something that I can't do anything about.

Well the doctor STILL hasn't called but I have my results. I guess you can call it good news/not so good news.

One test came back negative/normal, which is the one I was worried about because it came back "atypical" last year.

The other one came still HPV positive but no abnormal cells. So unless the doctor calls and wants more tests, it is just wait and try not to worry about something that I can't do anything about.
I would still have a conversation with your doctor about it, as in, what does it all mean, and what do we need to do to stay on top of it.

I would still have a conversation with your doctor about it, as in, what does it all mean, and what do we need to do to stay on top of it.
It is pretty much annual PAP/HPV test. Unless there is cell changes it is just a wait and see. It could be it never develops into anything.

It is pretty much annual PAP/HPV test. Unless there is cell changes it is just a wait and see. It could be it never develops into anything.
Yes, but you want your doctor to talk to you about the atypical results turning into negative and why, etc., I’d think. A phone call should suffice just to make sure you’re not missing anything: “Please have Dr So and So call me when he/she gets a chance to go over my Pap results w me. Thanks.”

Atypical cells turning negative is actually common with HPV. That is what my doctor was hoping mine would do but my repeat pap still came back abnormal so I had to get a colposcopy. Thankfully that came back negative and I am back to repeat pap in one year. If the abnormal cells had come back cancerous or pre-cancerous I would have had to get a LEEP procedure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter