Why eggs in crockpot mac & cheese?

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
I have been researching mac and cheese recipes for the crock pot and most call for 2 eggs. Wouldn't it be more like a mac and cheese pie and not creamy? What do you think? Anyone have a favorite recipe?

Although I am a New Enlgander for life, I once heard that adding eggs to the mac N cheese is a southern thing. I tried it and did not like it.

Many people add eggs to mac 'n cheese, but as stated above , it seems to be a southern thing. I've never added eggs to mine, I make a bechemel sauce and then add the cheese.

I guessa it is a suothern thing. We(my family) always add eggs to baked mac and cheese. That is what thickens it. We do not make a roux/cheese sauce.

The ingedients are pretty simple
cooked macaroni
toss that with grated cheese
pour over that a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, salt and pepper

I make the baked mac and cheese recipe my mom made and it has eggs too. It isn't creamy like Kraft mac and cheese, but then I never think of baked mac and cheese having that consistently. She got the recipe from Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book published in 1956! In there it is called Pioneer Macaroni and Cheese, and the ingredients are same as sha_lyn described, except that a some dots of butter goes in and then the top is sprinkled with paprika.

My grandmother probably always put butter. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I really like panko bread crumbs on top of mine.

Thanks guys. I tried a recipe this weekend for the crockpot without eggs and the cheese curdled or whatever. The taste was there but the consistency was bad. Maybe I should try the eggs next time.

It might be the cheese - I was reading the thread about the lady who is using her crockpot every day and she suggested trying a different cheese (you know how some cheddars melt really well on e.g. pizza and others go all oily?) Try gruyere - that melts well but has plenty of flavour :thumbsup2

Great advice!! I will do that. I just don't want to give up. I made a recipe in the crockpot one time and it was sooooo good. Stupid me, I lost the recipe.

here is the recipe I received quite a few years back.

two cups of macaroni ---- cooked
one can evaporated milk
one and one half cup of regular milk
three cups of grated cheddar
one four cup of margarine melted
two beaten eggs..
grease crockpot and on low
cook 3 hours or more...

two cups of macaroni already cooked
one can evaporated milk
two beaten eggs..
cook 3 hours or more...

Is that 2 cups before it is cooked?

two cups of macaroni already cooked
one can evaporated milk
two beaten eggs..
cook 3 hours or more...

That's the exact recipe I used with the exception of eggs. It was not included. I used sharp cheddar.

Sha_lyn, my recipe called for 16oz pasta BEFORE cooking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter