Why Halloween on the High Seas?

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
I'm waiting for the 2019 itineraries and I'm hoping for a 4-5 days NYC cruise in October like they have this year. But, I would REALLY be going because my family loves Halloween. We've done the Halloween party at MK and loved it. For those of you who have gone, what were your favorite parts? Is it worth taking the four days out of school? (FWIW, the kids would only be in 5th and 3rd grade). What did Disney do to really up the Halloween feel? Any opinions, good, bad or indifferent would be helpful!

Thank you!

We have done both a Halloween on the High Seas and Merry Time cruise. We were on a 4 night Halloween cruise and one of the evenings there was trick or treating as well as a main lobby show. There are other Halloween activities interspersed throughout the cruise. The characters are also dressed in Halloween gear for one of the nights, so that's cool getting those pictures. The ship is decorated in Halloween things, but not as much as the Merry Time cruise.

I would suggest looking at past navigators so you can see what events they have daily, as well as the Halloween on the High Seas trailers on YouTube.

For us we're not big into Halloween and will be doing more Christmas time cruises.

Cheers!

as far as taking your kids out of school - Just Do It!!

There will come a time (sports) where you won't be able to take them out of school as "easily" (High School for sure, middle school - sometimes), and if they are athletes their sports will start to go 12 months per year, so there is never a good time for a family vacation.

Take them out of school for adventures while you can, traveling the world, or even the country is a real education, and can be life changing.

I did a 1 night cruise, maybe it was 2 nights, lol. But it was a short one out of San Diego and they had the Halloween on the High Seas. It was fun trick or treating (if you have a nut allergy, they provide you with solid milk chocolate, in the shape of coins or a bat [at least they did when I went], instead of mixed candy from Nestle.

And even though I read around here that they no longer deliver Rice Krispy Treats to the room, I was able to order them (chocolate covered and regular).

....... What did Disney do to really up the Halloween feel? ..........

I liked the overall "fall" feel on the ship....the large hallway Porthole windows turned into jack-o-lantern faces; beautiful fall garland swags in the atrium; intricately carved pumpkins set out on the buffet and entry tables at the MDRs; the "Halloween Tree" in the atrium......we didn't dress up, but it was fun to see all of the little kids (and some big kids) in costume.

We have been on both Merrytime & Halloween on the High Seas cruises. They are both great! There might be a few more themed Christmas events but HOTHS was so much fun. We dressed up for the Halloween party/ trick or treating & again for pirate night. The Pumpkin Tree in the atrium was awesome & we loved meeting all the characters in their costumes! There was also multiple showings of Nightmare before Christmas.

Thanks for all the info! I'll be waiting anxiously for the 2019 itineraries. I hope there is another NYC itinerary in October!

Take your kids out of school--absolutely do it this year. Soon you won't be able to as easily (for us the cut off turned out to be 6th grade due to school work load and sports). Only if your child really struggles to keep up would I say otherwise.

For Halloween cruise, we went a few years ago on actual Halloween and it was fun. Lots of people (kids and adults) dressed up which made it such a fun atmosphere. I'm not sure how different that would be on an earlier date.

I think I'm in the minority but I say cruise to cruise and not for HOTHS. We did both MNSSHP & HOTHS this year for the first time and we are big Halloween fans. We absolutely loved MNSSHP but not so much the cruise. Loved the cruise but the Halloween was severely lacking in my opinion. We did a three nighter and everything was so rushed. Halloween tree show didn't do anything for me. The decorations didn't exist much beyond the lobby and some portholes. The Masquerade Deck Party was chaotic and the trick or treating was ridiculously packed. We did get pictures with Jack and Sally which was our main goal. Glad we did it once for that reason but we'll never do it again. Another thing that may have skewed my opinion is that it was a rough October this year. The seas were so choppy we had to brace ourselves in the hallways. Thankfully I always come prepared with sea bands and meds but this was the first time I'd ever had to use them.

I think I'm in the minority but I say cruise to cruise and not for HOTHS. We did both MNSSHP & HOTHS this year for the first time and we are big Halloween fans. We absolutely loved MNSSHP but not so much the cruise. Loved the cruise but the Halloween was severely lacking in my opinion. We did a three nighter and everything was so rushed. .
I definitely agree that MNSSHP is far better as a Halloween event than Halloween on the High Seas. Also, I agree that you shouldn't choose the cruise just because it's Halloween themed or you may be disappointed-- the Halloween activities are a fun "extra" but the real focus is on the cruise itself.

However, we found that our experiences was wildly different on two different Halloween on the High Seas cruises. Like you, we did a 3 night cruise a few years ago for HOTHS and found it somewhat lacking. Everything was rushed, the fact that it was crammed onto the same night as Pirate Night didn't help, and honestly there weren't that many people that got into it in the way of costumes and whatnot. My wife and I dressed up and as adults we were in the minority. We still had fun but it didn't hold a candle to MNSSHP.

This last October we did a 7 night on the Fantasy. Wow, what a difference! On the designated Halloween night, the guests got WAY into it, with the majority of the guests dressing up, including families with elaborate group costumes. Also, the Halloween activities got some breathing room due to the cruise being longer. Although the activities were similar, it just seemed like so much more of a fun atmosphere than the 3 night version This held true for the other themed nights also, like Formal Night and Pirate Night. It seems to me that the 7 night cruises attract a more experienced cruise crowd, who really get into the theme nights.

We’re doing one out of NYC this year. They are fun!

Us too! To Bermuda.... THRILLED as not to have to fly!

FWIW... We have done many Halloween cruises and Merrytime Cruises. They are AWESOME! We do the MNSSHP almost every year as well. Both are totally different experiences, both are so awesome!!!

FWIW... We have done many Halloween cruises and Merrytime Cruises. They are AWESOME! We do the MNSSHP almost every year as well. Both are totally different experiences, both are so awesome!!!

This is the exact cruise we are hoping is offered in 2019! The five day down to Bermuda. Fingers crossed!

We’re doing one out of NYC this year. They are fun!
We are on the 5 night out of NYC to Bermuda and will be actually on the ship on Halloween. This is our third Hallowen
cruise. I needed a HA cabin for DH who uses an ECV. I booked the only HA available which was a cat 9, and have been
stalking the website daily. Today a 6A HA appeared and I grabbed it. Halloween on the ship is fun.

Hi! We are planning on the same cruise this year leaving on the 29th. I would love to pick your brain for tips! This will be our second sailing. We are driving from Buffalo the night before.(we are originally born and raised in bklyn ).

Hi! We are planning on the same cruise this year leaving on the 29th. I would love to pick your brain for tips! This will be our second sailing. We are driving from Buffalo the night before.(we are originally born and raised in bklyn ).
Bring costumes, they have a Halloween Parade and also should have Pirate Night. We are full gala pirates for both. Tone down on the dress up clothes so you
can make room for the costumes. DH does bring a sports coat and slacks since we go to Palo. They will give out treat or treat bags and candy for the kids.
On the larger ships last year it was a mad house. On the Wonder it should be calmer. We enjoyed the pumpkin tree and the characters in Halloween costumes.
Most of all, have fun.

What about these ticketed events i keep hearing about?
As soon as your on line check in is available you can book activities. Two ticketed events that we book are
Frozen Meet & Greet and
Princess Meet & Greet.
You then can book adult dining and shore excursions.
You don't need tickets for the rest of the character meet & greet, you just look in the Navigator for times and place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter