Why hasn't Disney solved the main/late dining debacle already?

I think a lot of this could be fixed if they offered more dining options. Cabanas needs to have more choices and be open on first and last night.

I am hoping the new ships add additional dining venues for those who don't want to eat at either dining time.

I love DCL but I find the dining to be its biggest weakness and what has us looking at other cruise lines.

I agree completely. We haven't been on DCL since 2016 for a variety of reasons, but do love the product and still check out each release to see if there is something we want to book. The dining definitely holds us back unless there is just some perfect combination of itinerary and price we can't resist. We simply are not fans of the "traditional" cruise dining model of set times / tables / table mates. I know that a lot of people enjoy it, but there is a reason that pretty much every other mainstream cruise line offers at least some type of "anytime/freestyle/my time" dining option. People want to eat at a time that is convenient to them. Personally we aren't fans of either dining time that DCL offers. 5:45 is way too early for us, and 8:30 is bordering on late. We always go with late, but would prefer to eat a little earlier.

Changing the dining times isn't going make a whole lot of difference, as whatever they end up being someone isn't going to like them. But as you suggested, adding more dining venues that can be booked at any time (and that allow children) would give folks options. Leaving Cabanas as a buffet for dinner would also be a huge improvement. Sometimes you just don't feel like dealing with a big, sit down meal, and it's nice to just grab something light and quick. I think there are a lot of things DCL could do to improve their dining model on the new ships, but only time will tell if they agree. They didn't ask my opinion, after all :goodvibes .

After 9 DCL cruises we have never had a problem moving our seating/eating time to the early one, with a few electronic/chat nudges leading up to the cruises. I agree with most of the folks above, leave the times the way they are to please the majority of the cruisers. Two things: First, when we have been on port-intensive cruises (i.e. Mediterranean, Baltic Capitals), it is hard to get back for first seating, yet our wait staff, with proper notice, can accommodate. Second, as the DCL seems to slowly turn each dining experience into a dinner and a show, it is easier for them to set times to eat so that each cruiser gets the full experience of the evening. So, one solution might be to do what other cruise lines do...open dining from 5-10 or so with festival seating. Forget the AP shows, Tiana's music, etc. Don't think that is going to happen. Disney cruisers really get almost two shows each evening which might be one reason DCL is a bit pricey...it is worth it to us. I can't wait for the new ships to come on line to see what eating venues are available and what entertainment is planned in each (no matter how subtle).

I think a lot of this could be fixed if they offered more dining options. Cabanas needs to have more choices and be open on first and last night.

I am hoping the new ships add additional dining venues for those who don't want to eat at either dining time.

I love DCL but I find the dining to be its biggest weakness and what has us looking at other cruise lines.

See, I'm worried about the new ships offering more (read: paid) dining options. I like the rotational thing. I would hate to see a model of one MDR plus 2-3 up-charge restaurants.

there is a reason that pretty much every other mainstream cruise line offers at least some type of "anytime/freestyle/my time" dining option. People want to eat at a time that is convenient to them.

Sure. A lot of people want this. But there is also a good reason why cruise lines try not to do this. It is the same as any land restaurant, only much worse. If you show up at 6:45-7:45, along with the lion's share of everyone else, what do you get? Lines. Waiting. Etc. I've been on other cruise lines, and that is what you get from their "flexible" dining. So then people furiously take to the message boards, "How to I get around these long lines???" You know what the advice is? "Oh avoiding the long lines is easy! Just go to 'anytime' dinner at 5:45 or 8:30." I.e. Main seating or 2nd seating times. Sure, many people think 5:45 is too early and 8:30 is too late, but is it a compromise to spread everyone out. Plus, this way, you get to keep your same servers every night (who know your preferences, and allergies). It also allows the cruise lines to schedule the shows and other events in such way that they know it will impact dinner times less.

I know adapting to different dinner times can be challenging, especially with small kids, but just keep in mind all the good aspects too. I agree that more robust secondary options would be good, but at least there are some other options already. Also, we too had luck switching to early seating once we got on board. We didn't have small children, but we had older folks who were concerned about staying up "late." They accommodated us happily. I would caution against rigid solutions like "families with children only" as that will just change which group is inconvenienced and unhappy.

All the best!

Last edited:
See, I'm worried about the new ships offering more (read: paid) dining options. I like the rotational thing. I would hate to see a model of one MDR plus 2-3 up-charge restaurants.

They will probably stick with the 3 rotational MDRs and add some more paid options. It would be hard to go to something like freestyle dining without getting rid of the rotation.

Our kids didn’t like having to sit through a long dinner every night. They would have dinner for one or two nights. The rest of the time we would pick up food from the pool deck or order room service. They would eat and rest a little while we got ready. We would all go see the show. Then we would drop them off at the kids club and go have dinner

I agree this would be so much less troubling if they had more dining options. Or even just better food at Cabanas at dinner.

A lot of people are saying it is first come first serve... but it isn’t really. Once they switch to showing late dining only (which was the case when I booked 9 months prior to my cruise) they still do have a lot of MDR spots available, and they do not go through the waitlist on a first come first serve basis—they explained to me there are a lot of factors they weigh on who to move off the waitlist. And the fact there was a pp here on the waitlist who was able to get main dining after boarding means they are not even filling all open spots pre cruise with the waitlist. It is frustrating that it is such a black box unless you are able to book at or near opening day, which work vacation plans make impossible for me and I’m sure many others. I don’t think I would mind it so much if they did follow a clear waitlist and let you know you stand on it so you can know where you stand by pay in full time.

I also wish they would let you search cruises by which ones have main dining available.

Is it a debacle or are people overreacting? How many people report asking to switch dining times on board and not being able to? I think it's more an issue of people not wanting to accept a small degree of uncertainty. Seems like a silly reason to cancel a cruise tbh.

^ This. The guy described in the OP flipping out about the late seating for his toddler is the exception, not the norm. And his beef is with his TA, not with DCL.

A lot of people are saying it is first come first serve... but it isn’t really. Once they switch to showing late dining only (which was the case when I booked 9 months prior to my cruise) they still do have a lot of MDR spots available, and they do not go through the waitlist on a first come first serve basis—they explained to me there are a lot of factors they weigh on who to move off the waitlist. And the fact there was a pp here on the waitlist who was able to get main dining after boarding means they are not even filling all open spots pre cruise with the waitlist. It is frustrating that it is such a black box unless you are able to book at or near opening day, which work vacation plans make impossible for me and I’m sure many others. I don’t think I would mind it so much if they did follow a clear waitlist and let you know you stand on it so you can know where you stand by pay in full time.

I see your point, but again, to avoid being put in that position - where am I on the waitlist ? what factors increase my chances of getting bumped up to Main seating? will I be able to change once I am on-board? - don't sleep on booking your reservation. Do it ASAFP and lock in your Main seating from the get-go.

And if your life, for whatever reason, doesn't allow you to book and place a deposit early? No judgment, of course, but DCL is going to give "dibs" to the people who can and do commit early, just like any other business would.

Last edited:
We had main dining for our first cruise and regretted it. It was too much of a rush (my DH started jokingly calling it forced eating) and none of us were that hungry by dinner. We never took advantage of the concierge cocktail hour (a first-world problem, I know). Only on the last night of our cruise was my little one so wiped from the week's activities that he fell asleep at the table, but then he woke up and was fine for Dreams. We have main seating automatically assigned for our next cruise but I might change it. People who had late dining always seemed a bit more relaxed.

I really, really like that most cruisers like early dining.
The ship empties out at about 5:30 and I can sit wherever I want for a couple hours.
I normally eat well after 7PM anyway. I really like not having a rushed feeling on vacation. I don't rush back from Excursions. I don't rush through my meal.
When I get done w/ dinner all the early people are at shows... still have an empty ship! I've seen most of the stuff I want to see so I don't care about shows.

DCL could solve it in one of two ways. 1, add a 4th MDR or 2, add more tables. They don't have to change the seating times. But don't forget, this has a spillover effect as the theatres can only hold so many people. If more people are accomodated for first seating, then there will be more people wanting to watch the shows while second seating is happening.

It would help a lot if Cabanas was open every night of every cruise. That should be a starting point.

I think one of the issues with that is trying to turn it over on the first night in particular. So long as there is an embark lunch there, turnover is going to be harder for that.

Besides letting go of the two ladies in your group and that one person who made a scene, focus on all those people who were able to change their dining time on the ship.
Stress is not getting you anywhere, it will ruin your excitement for the cruise you are going to make. Better make a plan with the tips people have given in this thread on how to deal with or even enjoy late dining, if it would happen you won't be able to change it before or once on board.

I'm not a religious person, but I definitely use this one when I have to accept there are things I cannot change (like you cannot change the waiting list issue or the unknown factors)
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Our family finds the early seating not early enough. I know we are in the minority as we eat usually at 4:00pm as our normal dinner time. So that makes early seating 2hrs later then usual which is a big gap in time for us.

I keep saying Disney should offer a dinner seating at 3:30pm in only one of their restaurants each day. This time frame gives the same amount of time as the other seatings just putting it right before the current first seating. They should make this seating just like lunch wear it is a first come first serve seating. They could rotate the restaurants offered each day or make it only one particular dining room the whole cruise.

This would give options to those that got stuck with late seating to be able to eat in the main dinning rooms earlier and enjoy those menus. Also gives an option to those that need or would like an earlier meal that day for whatever reason.

ArielRae - I wonder if your family would be the only ones dining at a seating at 3:30pm!

I think it would be nice if Cabanas was buffet style rather than a lesser version of the MDRs. The trouble is I don't see this happening, given DCL's emphasis on the MDR entertainment being such a huge part of the experience. It's not just eating - it's seeing a show while eating! It's participating in the magic! It's the immersion into a whole new world (lol)! For that same reason, anytime dining won't work with DCL's current philosophy. Given how they revamp restaurants frequently, I don't see this mentality changing.

I personally don't love the early OR the late dining time, but find we just sort of adjust.

We actually really like the later dining time, it means we have time to do all the things we want during the day and still have time to go get showered and dress for dinner. Once dinner is finished we go straight to cocktail time. Not everyone wants earlier dining.

I've only sailed on Disney as a couple with no kids and we always picked Main Dining. We don't like eating late, I would be starving by the time 8:15 came around. I also think 5pm would be way too early. I do think they should change Cabanas to a buffet to give people an option at a quicker dinner. I don't see Disney changing anything any time soon.

ArielRae - I wonder if your family would be the only ones dining at a seating at 3:30pm!

I think it would be nice if Cabanas was buffet style rather than a lesser version of the MDRs. The trouble is I don't see this happening, given DCL's emphasis on the MDR entertainment being such a huge part of the experience. It's not just eating - it's seeing a show while eating! It's participating in the magic! It's the immersion into a whole new world (lol)! For that same reason, anytime dining won't work with DCL's current philosophy. Given how they revamp restaurants frequently, I don't see this mentality changing.

I personally don't love the early OR the late dining time, but find we just sort of adjust.

We would LOVE a buffet option but I don't see that happening either. We've been on all the ships except Wonder and the only MDR entertainment I remember is in AP. What have we missed?

Early seating is too early for us so we usually choose late but...there's really nothing for us to do after dinner. It's not the greatest thing to eat and then go to sleep! We're changing it up next cruise because we have a toddler with us so first seating it is. After that - for various reasons - I'd like to find some way to avoid the MDR (on repeat ships).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter