Why I decided against a Disney Wedding

When I first started with DFTW at Disneyland, I was extremely disappointed, like you. My planner had no interest in me whatsoever, or my wedding. I was angry, and we were about to decide not to have our wedding there. Then she got moved somewhere else, and now I have a new planner who is absolutely incredible! It's everything I thought it would be and more. Yes, I wish I could get responses a little faster, but that is my only complaint. I love the Disneyland weddings team, and I know they are going to make me feel like the most special girl in the world on my wedding day. Perhaps you gave up on a disney wedding too soon, but I also know things work differently in WDW.

I honestly believe that for at least a few of the brides on here this post was helpful. To know I am not the only DFTW bride being treated poorly made me at least feel somewhat better because I was not alone. It has been very difficult for me to be here reading wonderful story after wonderful story. I wanted the Disney experience. I wanted the magic. That is not what I am getting.

I'm sorry if anything I have said offends anyone here. Nothing in my post was meant that way. I am extremely frustrated with Disney Wedding. I am extremely frustrated with the unclear rules and prices. I am far beyond frustrated with snarky remarks. Having done Disney many times I expected a lot more. I knew the price would be higher than other places, but was willing to spend it because of the excellent service I associated with the Disney name. I'm happy that there are many brides who seem to have the magical Disney wedding one would expect, but there are at least some here that have experienced behavior far from acceptable. Don't get me wrong I love Disney, but if I would have known before signing the contract I was going to be treated this way I can't say I would have gone through.

Crickety, I agree that sharing negative experiences can be valuable, but I wanted to ask, have you considered requesting a different planner if you are having such difficulty with yours? It has been done before, and perhaps someone else could assist you better.

After several calls to Disney's Wedding Dept to try to get information for a vow renewal for our 25th a few years back, I was left in tears of frustration and totally gave up and decided to regroup and try to do something for our 30th. I never had the wedding of my dreams....we got married quickly when we had to move the wedding up unexpectedly.....so for me, having a fabulous event to acknowledge both the 25th and to give me my "moment" was something I dreamed about for a long time. I can't/won't give you a specific comment or situation because every call to try to even get basic information was met over and over with a pat "we'll send you a DVD for review" which is fine but even after I got that DVD, watched it, and called back to try to get a better understanding of how I could move forward with plans, how they could make my dreams a reality, and yes, what the price would be, I got no where. It was awful. We ended up still celebrating at Disney by ourselves with a lovely dinner at Cali Grill but DFTW was just terrible.

For almost 15 years I photographed weddings and assisted brides with their planning/events where I currently live. Prior to that, I worked for a chef out in the Hamptons where we catered parties throughout the year and in particular during the high season. I can tell you that neither during my time for working for Chef nor when I ran my own business was any potential customer treated with such disdain as I felt from DFTW. I haven't ruled out trying again as we get closer to our 30th but if there is any feelings like last time, we will go to plan B very, very quickly! I know what a bride should expect and I know what Disney conveys in their advertising for Disney Weddings and that is what I would like. If they can't deliver than they shouldn't be doing these weddings (or they can hire me to help them do them! :)). I see those photographs of the David Tutera Weddings and would love to finally after all these years just have my moment to feel so very special as a bride and to share it with my hubs.

If I wasn't from the NY area, I probably wouldn't have ended up doing Disney. The prices are high, but they are very comparable with prices in major cities. If I didn't experience that first hand when I was getting quotes when we were looking into a local wedding, I know I would have been shocked and discouraged (like I initially was when I was getting quotes locally). I guess there are just different standards for prices in these kinds of places. I don't find it shocking and a rip off anymore when I it costs me $12 for a take-out lunch when I'm in Disney, because that's what it costs when I get lunch near my office. It's not Disney exclusively that has these prices, so I absolutely don't blame them for that (although I would love it to be less).

I agree that during the initial planning process, I was frustrated several times with the service. But everyone around me gave me a reality check. It was also comparable with other places I spoke to, I just held Disney to a higher standard when it came to customer service, and they did not live up to their own standard. BUT they actually were more open about prices than most of the places I spoke to.

The whole wedding industry has flaws. I definitely can't argue with that. I don't think its Disney specific.

Crickety, I agree that sharing negative experiences can be valuable, but I wanted to ask, have you considered requesting a different planner if you are having such difficulty with yours? It has been done before, and perhaps someone else could assist you better.

I agree with this. I know a few Disbrides have had replacement planners. You should talk with a higher up. You're paying too much money to be unhappy!

Thanks for the suggestion of having our planner switched. I wasn't even aware it was an option. I called today and asked if we could be reassigned to another planner. I said we were incompatible, and they asked for further details on why we felt this way. I tried to be polite but honest. They took our information and said they would send it to the director, but no guarantees we would be able to work with someone else. I'm so nervous about what our response will be.

Praying someone in Disney will fix this.

I did not know that you could change planners. I think this would be a great solution for you if it will work. Good luck

Teresa

OP, I'm sorry you got the short end of the stick when it came to trying to plan your wedding.

I really was very happy with my wedding and most aspects of the planning process. To me all the hassle was "worth it." However, I then had to learn the hard way how combative and horrible Disney is to deal with when they screw up and things go wrong. :sad2:

Frankly, Disney needs to overhaul their wedding department. A better website, with the information so clearly provided in Carrie's book would be a great start. To have to get basic information from an outside source is a terrible way to run a business. (Though it's pretty good for Passporter!) Then they need to work on their communication skills and implement policies that apply to everyone so that three people asking the same question don't get three different answers. Lastly, they need to provide consistant service, particularly for the prices they're charging. To have two people use the same photographer and see such wild variance in quality is ridiculous.

Will Disney do any of these things? Unlikely. There are enough couples willing to jump though hoops and pay the high prices, that there is absolutely no incentive for Disney to change.

I feel this thread has grown to border on offensive to DFTW brides. There is a distinction between criticizing the business, and implying that those of us who have a DFTW are mindless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzingWhizzbee View Post
But I am not okay with being taken advantaged of because I wanted a "magical" wedding.

To prospective brides that may be reading: I urge you to go to the "Planning our Happily Ever After" or "Completed trip reports and planning journals" links on the main page, flip through some of our weddings, and decide for yourself if we look like someone took advantage of us.

I don't really see where the OP is calling DFTW brides "mindless". :confused3 It sounds like you are saying that it is impossible for her to have felt taken advantage of - in her personal experience which you were not party to? She was humble enough to allow that other people have had/could have a good experience with Disney, so why can't you allow for her opinion? I appreciate her post. I am interested in doing a VR and it will help me to remember to NOT to go into the process with rose-colored glasses. Sounds like you were lucky with your process - good for you. As with many business transactions, I have been lucky and I have been unlucky. I think we all have horror stories to share but remember, one person's horror story doesn't negate someone else's dream come true. It is just a different opinion and, more to the point, a different experience. Both can and do exist - especially at Disney!

Sorry you had such a bad experience OP - I would have run for the hills too. It just stinks that things could have gone very differently for you if your first contact had been with a better employee. It all boils down to one thing - hiring the right employees (and having been in the HR profession I oughtta know!). Charlton Heston said it best (in Soylent Green), "It's people!!!!!!!". Good luck to you and enjoy your wedding!

Terri

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes....

I have a slightly more cynical approach about the whole thing. More than 50% marriages end in divorce...also, in most though not ALL weddings are footed by the parents of brides/grooms. I could never imagine putting my parents in debt for thousands of dollars for one "special" day, that has a 50% change of not working out. I know, I know, everybody here has that "once in a lifetime love" and will live Happily Ever After :rolleyes: , but facts are facts. There's also the fact that one is also expecting others (probably to their inconvenience and tight budget) to spend hundreds of dollars, for travel and room and board, because YOU decided to have a destination wedding.

I say have a quiet, lovely wedding at home or JP, and ONE HECK OF A DISNEYMOON. Pull out all the stops and do everything/anything you always wanted to do, stay at the most luxurious resort, spa treatments, illuminations viewing from a boat, all your favorite restaurants, EPCOT segway tours...maybe even a short Disney Cruise.

We were blessed in that my DH is retired military and got married at SOG for $125 rental of the gazebo (SOG) is on Disney property, directly across from the Poly. We had thought of having an Escape Wedding, but everything seemed so restrictive for what we wanted.

I understand people's dreams of the "Perfect (Fairytale) Wedding", and Im happy for those whose dreams came true....but the just of it, is it's the first day of the rest of YOUR life, not everyone else's that get's sucked into financing it and having to re-arrange their lives to attend.

Way too much drama for me!! Guess I'd make a horrible princess, cuz I hate drama!!

I didn't have time to read all of the posts (I will do that later). We were married January 4, 2011 (Escape Wedding) and when we first called they gave us the info and mentioned that prices will be going up when our wedding is scheduled. That was fine with us.

I feel very lucky as everyone seems so stressed about wedding planning. Maybe it's because we went "cheap" and the only extra's we ordered were the wands for the bridesmaids as the flowers were way to expensive for me, and the extra hidden mickey's and as well we opted out of the character visits and took that money and had a photoshoot at AKL. So I think in total we spent $7-8 for our wedding. The trip itself though was over $10,000 because of the extra's we did outside of Disney. I had Tanis Armstrong and she was WONDERFUL! I had Mike as my photographer and he was WONDERFUL! Not once during the 8 months was I stressed. I was stressing more about the one who I chose to do my hair and in the end wish I would have listened to my gut instinct. Not happy with her at all.

I am one of the ones who get "offended" when someone talks negatively about Disney only because I think that Disney is "perfect" when in fact it is not. I understand everyone's complaints and only wish that everyone could have had a great experience as I did. I know that Disney isn't perfect and there will be issues. I think the thing is, I hold Disney so high on a petastool and any negative comments rub me the wrong way (this is wrong I know). Then I have to bring myself back to reality and know that things are not all "Fiary Tale Dreams". I am sorry to all of those who have had bad experiences with Disney and hope you have a great wedding regardless.

Happy Friday 13th!

i find your issues on DFTW very reasonable, although me and my partner did not go in totally blind we knew were were going to be spending at least £5,000 i guess maximum £8,000.
We went for the premium escape wedding with a maximum of 20 guests with no reception as such (just a meal at Citrico's Chef domain, and my dad is paying for) and not inclding flights and holiday costs we have ended up spending around £15,000, (my dad paid for my dress) Groom suit, rings, bride gift and 2 nights in a Disney hotel (we are staying at a Villa throughout the holiday so we had to book a Disney Hotel for 2 nights. night before (for me) and wedding night, lucky they have brought it down for 2 nights instead of minimum 5 or we would not be doing this at all as it cost us £500 for 2 nights) photography (Misty Miotto) and hair and beauty (Beaute Speciale)
I have no bridesmaids or ushers or flowergirls/pageboy's.
We have no real decor in the pavillion unless we manage to get hold of Freeze dry petals and a cotton isle runner (extra cost) Its going to be bare.
Just 10 guests and 6 of those people are who we are on holiday with anyway, my dad and his partner plus auntie and unlce are making their own way there. So i am going for bare minimum. :confused3

I have found LOADS of hidden extras, and you really have to bug your co-ordinator with hundreds of questions to be sure of everything and make sure you have plenty of back up and paperwork to cover you.

But i will admit i cannot wish for a nicer wedding and i am sooooo looking forward to going, and feel so lucky having my day at Disney. I have been a Disney freak all my life!!! :banana::):cutie:

We loved our wedding and it was alot less stressful. The only issues we had were with the items that were booked and secured though non Disney Wedding. But when we were at MK and my mothers theme park ticket didnt work we call the wedidng people and they helped fix the problem. the only other issue was on the day of the wedding the cordinator was rushing us and did not work with the photogragher well so we missed a few picture that my wife wanted. The Disney Wedding photographer was great and did a few shoots we wanted outside the norm for her.

I'm so sorry to hear so many bad experiences with DFTW at WDW. I'm getting married on the Dream in less than three weeks and although the options are not very expansive and some of our options are kind of limited (such as flowers, cake, photography and music), it ends up being ridiculously affordable (for Disney anyway) even with cruise fare and I have never gotten a feeling that it is a privilege to get married on DCL. My wedding planner has been with me 100% every step of the way and I am very pleased with how it's coming out. But I completely understand, DCL isn't for everyone and there is a lot to consider before doing a DCL DFTW but its perfect for us :)

I had a very similar experience as the OP. I didn't go through with a Disney wedding, and I'm actually still disappointed about it. I really wanted one, but I too got the feeling that Disney was more interested in my money than in giving me a magical day. I know that they are a company, but my experiences with Disney before were nothing but wonderful.

With DTFW, it seemed like they had extra fees and service charges allover. I was really scared to sign the contract without firm prices, because even in the initial stage there were hidden fees.

I really wish I had had a better experience with DFTW, because it would have been a dream come true.

I haven't read the entire thread yet but we also were thinking of a Disney Wedding and changed our minds. We were looking at either a Memories or DCL wedding. In the end we decided they were both overpriced for what we would get. With DCL we would have to get married before we even left port and have the ceremony a few days later which with no guests would have meant nothing to us. We ended up getting married during the cruise when we stopped in St Thomas. It was a lot of fun to do it that way, more personnel and was less than half the cost of a Disney wedding. We were able to have a two week honeymoon, a week on the ship and a week at WDW.

I haven't read the entire thread yet but we also were thinking of a Disney Wedding and changed our minds. We were looking at either a Memories or DCL wedding. In the end we decided they were both overpriced for what we would get. With DCL we would have to get married before we even left port and have the ceremony a few days later which with no guests would have meant nothing to us. We ended up getting married during the cruise when we stopped in St Thomas. It was a lot of fun to do it that way, more personnel and was less than half the cost of a Disney wedding. We were able to have a two week honeymoon, a week on the ship and a week at WDW.

I think we are going to try to have some Disney touches, even though we won't be having an official Disney wedding.

Nothing over the top, just a few nods.

I think we are going to try to have some Disney touches, even though we won't be having an official Disney wedding.

Nothing over the top, just a few nods.

You can always spend all that extra money saved on an awesome Disney Honeymoon!! We had a very inexpensive wedding at Shades of Green, but we pulled out all the stops for the Honeymoon, rooms at the Boardwalk, a "Just Married" shoot with the Roots, EPCOT Segway Tour...bunch of other awesome things, plus you can still wear your Bride and Groom ears!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter