Why I Gave Up on Walt Disney World

Yeah I don't understand.

Did she write the original piece or just edit it? Maybe there was supposed to be more to this?

Its interesting that that a long time fans entire experience was ultimately ruined by a perceived lack of spontaneity. I've said this in other threads on similar topics, but you can 100% have a spontaneous WDW vacation IF and ONLY IF you are willing to make a few concessions. Good FPs and ADRs can be had the day of and 24 hours before. You just have to accept the fact that you might not get to do the hottest tickets at the time. But also sometimes you can.

thanks, had a feeling but nonetheless wanted to check!

yeah, it is definitely a bit confusing, so I understand. Wondering if this is a new contributing author and they submitted their article before getting their system all set up to post directly so Deni just did it for them or something

The advanced ADRs were a thing long before he’s talking about, and long before smart phones and MDE. It was worse than it is now IMO. That cancellation charge did wonders for last minute ADRs, and I would imagine the ability to make ADRs quickly and easily means people aren’t calling once and booking everything they could possibly want or need just incase. Not to mention the ease of changing and cancelling plans has to help as well.

I remember arriving at our resort in what would have been either 2005 or 2007, and being informed that the ADRs we usually book upon arrival were not available and had been booked in advanced. We still talk about how accomplished we felt getting a walk up Chef Mickeys that trip.

I still wonder why Deni would have her name as the underwriter of the article? It makes it look like it is her article, which is why I read it in the first place. I thought Deni wrote it. It is misleading, IMO

Can we talk about the article? What a whiner. People like him complained about the lines so Fastpasses were introduced. People like him complained about not being able to get into restaurants so ADR's were introduced. People like him complained about having to walk back and forth across the park to book new fastpasses or check the length of lines so MDE was introduced. None of these systems are perfect but they are also not going away. Here's a little inside secret - you don't need to use ANY of these things to enjoy a trip to Disney. If he likes Universal better, easy solution, go to Universal. If enough people do that I am confident Disney will make changes.

Does he really think any of the pay-for-cuts systems in all of the other parks are better than Fastpasses? I don't - those turn my stomach - HATE them!

Can we talk about the article? What a whiner. People like him complained about the lines so Fastpasses were introduced. People like him complained about not being able to get into restaurants so ADR's were introduced. People like him complained about having to walk back and forth across the park to book new fastpasses or check the length of lines so MDE was introduced. None of these systems are perfect but they are also not going away. Here's a little inside secret - you don't need to use ANY of these things to enjoy a trip to Disney. If he likes Universal better, easy solution, go to Universal. If enough people do that I am confident Disney will make changes.

Does he really think any of the pay-for-cuts systems in all of the other parks are better than Fastpasses? I don't - those turn my stomach - HATE them!

I totally agree... the whole thing reeks of entitlement. People who have one bad experience feel compelled to paint the whole resort in a negative light.

Why is this article even posted anywhere? This seems like "one of those people" who never have a good thing to say no matter what they are talking about. Nothing is good enough. I don't like this and I don't want to do that.....then guess what......don't make a single fastpass and don't make a single ADR and just wing it when you get there. He seems like the perfect Universal vacationer so I suggest he stays there.

I get it though. The decline in service and cleanliness and overall quality of the resort in general is really obvious compared to our experience in the 80s and 90s. I also see the ridiculous price increases has changed our cadence of visits. The amazing experience back in those days is hard to compare to today. It's not fair to discount his opinion because he knows the difference. He has decided that he doesn't like the way it is now and that's fine. For the first time in like 20 years, we are also looking at Universal.

Why is this article even posted anywhere? This seems like "one of those people" who never have a good thing to say no matter what they are talking about. Nothing is good enough. I don't like this and I don't want to do that.....then guess what......don't make a single fastpass and don't make a single ADR and just wing it when you get there. He seems like the perfect Universal vacationer so I suggest he stays there.

It's probably posted because its not always "disney is amazing, they can do anything and i will love it" - Not everyone has drank gallons of the kool-aid.
I agree with some of the things the writer has mentioned but also not all - That's the great thing about boards like this - Freedom of speech. To ask why its even posted it a little ridic.

We were huge WDW fans and went about 3-4 times a year for 5-7 day trips each time- since i was 5.....I am now 38 so that's a LOT of trips. I was an intern back in college. We always said WDW is the best, nothing could top it. And then things did take a turn downhill a bit -

The author said "The Disney cast members are not as friendly, the service is not as good, and the parks don’t seem as well maintained as in the past. I noticed that there were less “sweepers” keeping the parks clean, and it showed. You would see full trash pails on occasion, and bits of trash on the ground here and there. Still clean by amusement park standards, but not up to Disney standards. On my last couple of trips, I was surprised to see quite a bit of trash floating in the water around the parks. "

This is 100% true in our opinion as well - There are more and more cast members who look like they rather be anywhere else than at their job, there is paint peeling on rides, on walls, etc. Trash cans don't seem to be emptied as quickly as they used to be. And I could go on.

It wasn't until we went to Tokyo Disney and saw how their parks are run, how spotless they are, how OVERLY friendly their cast members are (and its 100% genuine) that we realized, "wait, why can't our parks be like this"

We haven't stopped going to WDW but we have cut back our trips significantly each year - And we have been back to Tokyo Disney again, and plan to go a 3rd time next may. We have found other places to spend our Childless Millennial cash

It's probably posted because its not always "disney is amazing, they can do anything and i will love it" - Not everyone has drank gallons of the kool-aid.
I agree with some of the things the writer has mentioned but also not all - That's the great thing about boards like this - Freedom of speech. To ask why its even posted it a little ridic.

We were huge WDW fans and went about 3-4 times a year for 5-7 day trips each time- since i was 5.....I am now 38 so that's a LOT of trips. I was an intern back in college. We always said WDW is the best, nothing could top it. And then things did take a turn downhill a bit -

The author said "The Disney cast members are not as friendly, the service is not as good, and the parks don’t seem as well maintained as in the past. I noticed that there were less “sweepers” keeping the parks clean, and it showed. You would see full trash pails on occasion, and bits of trash on the ground here and there. Still clean by amusement park standards, but not up to Disney standards. On my last couple of trips, I was surprised to see quite a bit of trash floating in the water around the parks. "

This is 100% true in our opinion as well - There are more and more cast members who look like they rather be anywhere else than at their job, there is paint peeling on rides, on walls, etc. Trash cans don't seem to be emptied as quickly as they used to be. And I could go on.

It wasn't until we went to Tokyo Disney and saw how their parks are run, how spotless they are, how OVERLY friendly their cast members are (and its 100% genuine) that we realized, "wait, why can't our parks be like this"

We haven't stopped going to WDW but we have cut back our trips significantly each year - And we have been back to Tokyo Disney again, and plan to go a 3rd time next may. We have found other places to spend our Childless Millennial cash
It has nothing to do with Freedom Of Speech as I said "why" was this even posted not "it shouldn't" or "can't" be posted. A little silly for you to make that leap.

I would also say there is no "freedom of speech" on this board because I could come in here and say the most outrageous thing I could think of and it be perfectly "legal" to say but it would be removed immediately and I would probably be banned form the boards.....AND RIGHTFULLY SO.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!