Why I Rent instead of Buy DVC

Claudia Kellenberger

DIS Veteran
In many ways, I would love to buy into DVC.
After all, I am WDW obsessed. So why don't I buy?

Of course, I would need to finance the initial investment. But I also need a car, and I would not be able to finance both.

I am 53 years old, Hubby is now 77, and never has been interested in DVC. He is not interested in frequent vacations, only about one vacation in five years.

I usually vacation solo.

We don't have children or grand children. I don't even have sisters to share my vacation with.

Even though my hubby IS in good health, if something were to happen to him, I have no one to watch our two beloved cats.

And yet - I totally fell in love with that one bed
room unit !!! I love BWV and BCV, and the ease of walking to Epcot, my favorite park.

I have learned to totally enjoy my solo vacations.
In January, my hubby joined me on my vacation for only one night of my 5 night vacation. He also had a wonderful time.

I thank The DIS board for the wonderful opportunity to rent on the rent/trade board.

In many ways, I would love to buy into DVC.
After all, I am WDW obsessed. So why don't I buy?

Of course, I would need to finance the initial investment. But I also need a car, and I would not be able to finance both.

I am 53 years old, Hubby is now 77, and never has been interested in DVC. He is not interested in frequent vacations, only about one vacation in five years.

I usually vacation solo.

We don't have children or grand children. I don't even have sisters to share my vacation with.

Even though my hubby IS in good health, if something were to happen to him, I have no one to watch our two beloved cats.

And yet - I totally fell in love with that one bed
room unit !!! I love BWV and BCV, and the ease of walking to Epcot, my favorite park.

I have learned to totally enjoy my solo vacations.
In January, my hubby joined me on my vacation for only one night of my 5 night vacation. He also had a wonderful time.

I thank The DIS board for the wonderful opportunity to rent on the rent/trade board.
Maybe you should buy a very small contract, say 50-75 points or so. You could still rent or possibly get transferred points to your account to supplement your owned points.

Claudia - I am single and 55 (also no kids). Before DVC I used to vacation solo every couple of years. Through these boards I have met many people including one that became one of my best friends. She, another friend and I started going every Oct., 7 years ago. A couple of years ago her husband started to feel left out so now he joins us (we went from a studio, to a 1 BR and now a 2BR). They are DVC owners too so we alternate using our points. Mary & I usually do one or two other trips during the year (for pin events, etc).

A couple we know were like you and your husband. She loved Disney and he was happier staying at home. They are now DVC owners and he looks forward to their trips as much as she does (so change does happen). They no longer commando the parks and enjoy sitting poolside or going to the community center to do a DVC "activity." Last Oct. they learned flower arranging and, I believe, either napkin folding or towel animals.

Dean's idea of a small contract is right on. Claudia, I just read your post on being nervous about renting. A small contract would be perfect. You could transfer in any additional points needed and then you have control of them.

Good luck!

Cyn

I visit WDW solo a lot, too, and I enjoy my time alone. DH visits me sometimes when he can, if he's in a Disney mood. ;) We purchased our DVC 7 years ago, and for me, it's been great, as my accommodations are paid for.

I agree that a small contract might be good for you. You'd have control over your ressies, and there'd be no renting jitters. ;)

Claudia,

I was also renting points and enjoying solo vacations. As several have suggested here, I bought a 50 point contract from TTS in January and am looking to be in the system next week or so. I know that I will probably have to be getting transfers in with such a small contract, but I like that better than renting. I have had wonderful members (3) that I rented from and all went smooth, but there is apprehension working with a new person. Good luck with any decision you make.

Jerry

I was under the impression that the absolute minimum contract was 150 points ?!?

Disney World has become such a beautiful part of my life. It gives me someting to look forward to, during more difficult days, too.

It's the most healthy addiction you can buy !
LOL !

I was under the impression that the absolute minimum contract was 150 points ?!?

If you purchase through Disney, the minimum is 150 (I think soon to be 160.) But if you go resale, you may purchase a smaller contract. ;)

If a smaller resale interests you, you might want to sign up for e-mail notices from the Timeshare Store. Click on their banner above and contact them. Once you are on the list, you receive notices of new listings every day, even before they appear on their web-site. The smaller contracts usually sell quickly.

It will even be possible to buy a smaller contract for AKV if one know how.

I don't want to send this thread in a different direction but because you are a frequent DVC renter I wanted to ask a question (or 2). I do own at BCV (relatively new though) and may find myself in need of renting points this year for a big family trip. I'm very leary though and very green about renting....has does it basically work? Is it safe (financially)? Should I rent from just anybody? Are there ways to detect a questionable transaction? If you've got the time, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.:3dglasses

I don't want to send this thread in a different direction but because you are a frequent DVC renter I wanted to ask a question (or 2). I do own at BCV (relatively new though) and may find myself in need of renting points this year for a big family trip. I'm very leary though and very green about renting....has does it basically work? Is it safe (financially)? Should I rent from just anybody? Are there ways to detect a questionable transaction? If you've got the time, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.:3dglasses
There is a certain amount of risk but it is controllable. I think it's usually easy to see if you will be comfortable or not with a given renter but there are always risks. I'd suggest you find someone you're comfortable with and give it a try, if it works out, try to stay with that person if you can. Look at price but don't let it be the only component to your decision. A phone call can go a long way.

The best advice is listed on the FAQ on the rent/trade forum.

Your safest best is to find someone who will transfer points into your account then you book your own reservation. Because even though you are a DVC member if you rent you will not be able to call MS and check on your rented reservation as it belongs to the member who books it. Definitely do not rent from just anybody.

I am very leary of renting though many do it without any troubles but I would never rent for a big family trip. I have seen too many comments here about the problems with big family groups with some cancelling at the last moment.

If you rent and someone cancels out on you, you are going to be stuck with the rented points and the money you spent to get them. Most that rent will not cancel and very few will re-schedule, so do your homework before renting.

Again I would look for a transfer.
Do a search on this forum for ways to detect a questionable transaction.

The thing about transfers, though, is that now that MS is sticking with the rules of only one in or out per year, other members might not be so easy to transfer just a few points if they have a bunch to transfer.

Also, transfers retains their resort and use year, so if you need to transfer to get your home resort advantage, you'll need someone with your resort.

Also, transfers retains their resort and use year, so if you need to transfer to get your home resort advantage, you'll need someone with your resort.
I know many of us want that to be so and that MS has told a lot of people it is (they did that in the past as well when it wasn't), do we know of a single case where one actually did the transfer the points were restricted? I haven't seen a single post that said someone did the transfer the the restrictions were there, I've only seen a couple to the contrary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter