Why is Disney remodeling a lot of old rides?

old lady

DIS Veteran
Is it because they are running out of room or just updating or changing with the times?

Disney is always updating and refurbishing rides. The DIS actually puts out an updated list to let you know if a ride will be closed fo refurbishment.

Walt Disney said that Disneyland will never be finished. I assume WDW will also keep growing/changing, especially with all those acres of Florida swampland still available.

I hope they don't remodel all of them ie. Peter Pan, PoTC etc.

Walt Disney said that Disneyland will never be finished. I assume WDW will also keep growing/changing, especially with all those acres of Florida swampland still available.

Are they really doing anything more? What about the abandoned areas?

I hope they don't remodel all of them ie. Peter Pan, PoTC etc.
I remember at least a couple of remodels of PoTC.

Disney is continually renewing the parks. Nothing needs to last forever as long as they keep making attractions that eventually become favorites. Remember that the excellent and now very much beloved Winnie the Pooh ride in Fantasyland replaced an older attraction, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which a lot of people liked too.

I don't really think it's an option, they have to. The sheer number of attractions pretty much requires this. I know they don't do it this way, but imagine if they were to completely refurbish 2 or 3 rides per year, every year. With how many attractions they have, that would mean one would go many, many years before its' turn came up. So between simple repeated use, changing technology, changing guest desires, etc....the phrase "change is constant" applies. I'm as big of a WDW "apologist" as you'll see here, and even I agree there are still rides that need updating/refurb. Buzz for one example...I still thoroughly enjoy it, but it's outdated and doesn't work well.

I remember at least a couple of remodels of PoTC..

The first re-do of Pirates was to make it politically correct. Take out the men chasing women, replace it with men chasing food! LOL
The second was to include Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. That is kind of funny. The movie was inspired by the ride, then the ride was updated to include a character from the movie that was NOT a part of the ride.

Check out Peter Pan's Flight Shanghai on YouTube to see what an update can do. Absolutely spectacular.

That looks amazing!! I try to be open minded about refurbs and changes... Lots of good to be done! I do think looking at the different versions of attractions in different parks is an interesting way to look at it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!