Why is MLK weekend so busy?

Rhianna.07

DIS Family Page
I'm going to the parks this weekend and I just don't understand why MLK weekend is so busy?! It seems like there is many three day weekends throughout the year so what makes this one so special? I'm going into it knowing it will be crowded but the comparisons to New Year crowds sounds absolutely insane. Someone help me understand please.

I think it's a couple reasons all working together:

1.) Long weekends in general are a great excuse to hit Disney.
2.) It's Winter, and anyone in a cold area able to get out of the cold area for even a little while are apt to like that idea.
3.) Many people have their vacation days reset at the beginning of the year, so it's not October and you're thinking "Man, I only have 3 days left for the year, maybe I better hang onto them in case of emergency." Instead some folks are thinking "I've got 21 days left, baby, I'm going to Disney World!". :)
4.) I'm sure some people believe this will be a less crowded time. A.), They're thinking so many folks were just there for Christmas, that for sure it will be empty now. B.) They're thinking...we're going before Spring Break, that for sure is the next busy time. and it will be quiet now.
But what they're not thinking is that everyone else sees this weekend as a chance to sneak in a trip during a "less busy" time, too! :D

It's cold in much of the US, so people want to get away to a warmer place for a long weekend.
Unfortunately this weekend is supposed to be quite rainy and a bit chilly (60s) so while I do understand the "snowbirds", it seems like this weekend won't be bright and sunny like we were all hoping. 😪

4.) I'm sure some people believe this will be a less crowded time. A.), They're thinking so many folks were just there for Christmas, that for sure it will be empty now. B.) They're thinking...we're going before Spring Break, that for sure is the next busy time. and it will be quiet now.
But what they're not thinking is that everyone else sees this weekend as a chance to sneak in a trip during a "less busy" time, too! :D

This was going to be my guess. The only other thing I can think of is that a lot of jobs have their busiest times at the end of the year (think no vacation approved during those times and now they are good to take off) or that this would be the first chance to take a little getaway after the holiday stress.

I think 3 days weekends are kind of rare... For the rest of the school year, we only have Presidents Day (which we get the whole week off in NJ) and Easter weekend (we get that whole week off, too). So the only long weekend we have other than MLK for the rest of the year is Memorial Day weekend.

With kids in school, there aren’t many opportunities for us to take off and go to Disney!:(

We actually get a 4 day weekend, which is why we went in 2018. I didn't think it was too busy until Sunday and Monday at MK. The rest of the time was fine.

I’m jealous! I’m going there Sunday and it’s supposed to rain ): Did you get a RoTR boarding group?
Yes- here at 4:30 am.. too early- should have gotten here at 5 for a 7 am opening and would have been in same position. We are BG 61. Ride was down most of morning- and they just started back up about half hour ago. Hoping it stays up long enough for us to ride. Enjoy your trip!

My birthday usually coincides with the MLK weekend (Dr. King’s birthday is not always celebrated on the actual day because it’s a Monday federal holiday, but mine is 😉) and we’ve only visited WDW once at that time. It was quite a while ago. We had a great time, but it was crowded, rainy, and quite chilly. No one will guarantee the weather, but we had underestimated the crowds. That’s one of the reasons we avoided booking this weekend in favor of scheduling our trip to begin next weekend instead.

Most 3 day holiday weekends are busy.

We have been MLK weekend a number of times and it’s never been unbearable. We have also been at NYE and Easter Sunday. MLK weekend is nothing like those. Just busier than a normal Monday after the holidays in January.

Also, when people pull their kids out of school for a trip, sometimes they’ll do it to coincide with a long weekend.

All 3 day weekends are busy.
All.of.them.
People like me, go on 3 day weekends because we gotta work the rest of the days. 2 days, too short to get there.
3 days, not so much.
MLK isn't worse than any others. And as someone who works, there ain't enough of them (3 day weekends that is)
I'm catching a flight in 3 hours for that matter, and just got back from a New Years Eve trip. Gonna be back on Presidents day too.

Yes- here at 4:30 am.. too early- should have gotten here at 5 for a 7 am opening and would have been in same position. We are BG 61. Ride was down most of morning- and they just started back up about half hour ago. Hoping it stays up long enough for us to ride. Enjoy your trip!
Heck, you could have gotten there are 5 till 7:00 and gotten the same or even earlier position.
How early you get to HS has no bearing at all on your Boarding Group. Just gotta be inside the park. You can do that 5 min before they open the group sign ups. Only get there as early as you did if you want to get in some ride's stand by line too.

Also the next round of the Disney College Program start Jan 21, so there will be many families there to drop their kids off.
We were there last week as my DD started the program Jan 13 and we saw many families in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter