Why is MLK weekend so busy?

Looking at wait times today it seems much busier than other 3 day weekends. All the mountains are 2-3 hours.

There is also a large soccer showcase this weekend. It may also be the college cheer and dance nationals. We went MLK weekend several years ago, and a CM said the cheer and dance brings in over 50,000 guests. We saw tons of cheerleaders and soccer players on our trip.

My kids have a four-day weekend for MLK, plus they had early release on Thursday, so technically if I had wanted to I could’ve taken a five day trip to Disney this weekend.

My kids have a four-day weekend for MLK, plus they had early release on Thursday, so technically if I had wanted to I could’ve taken a five day trip to Disney this weekend.

Us, too. We had a great time in 2018. It’s nice to always have it as an option.

Yes- here at 4:30 am.. too early- should have gotten here at 5 for a 7 am opening and would have been in same position. We are BG 61. Ride was down most of morning- and they just started back up about half hour ago. Hoping it stays up long enough for us to ride. Enjoy your trip!
I just have to say, you got there at 4:30am for a 7am opening and still got BG 61....

I hope you got on, but man you really have to free up your entire day to experience this ride. My plan, during our trip in April, was to get there early like you, but I am hopeful to be out of there by lunch. I want to be able to head back to the resort and rest before going back out to finish the night (most likely at another park).

I'm hoping this is feasible. Getting 2 young kids to a park at that hour really makes the rest of the day a total loss, unless you can squeeze in some rest time after riding.

I just have to say, you got there at 4:30am for a 7am opening and still got BG 61....

I hope you got on, but man you really have to free up your entire day to experience this ride. My plan, during our trip in April, was to get there early like you, but I am hopeful to be out of there by lunch. I want to be able to head back to the resort and rest before going back out to finish the night (most likely at another park).

I'm hoping this is feasible. Getting 2 young kids to a park at that hour really makes the rest of the day a total loss, unless you can squeeze in some rest time after riding.
The time your arrives at HS means absolutely nothing in regards to boarding group
you can walk in 5 min till opening and get 10 or get there an hour early and get 100. It’s100% luck

There is also a large soccer showcase this weekend. It may also be the college cheer and dance nationals. We went MLK weekend several years ago, and a CM said the cheer and dance brings in over 50,000 guests. We saw tons of cheerleaders and soccer players on our trip.
The competition doesn’t always hit MLK or something
it is this year but there were no cheer groups here last year

The time your arrives at HS means absolutely nothing in regards to boarding group
you can walk in 5 min till opening and get 10 or get there an hour early and get 100. It’s100% luck
That was basically my point. A total "crap shoot". Which goes against everything else Disney has set up regarding planning.

I'm not saying there is a better way. I'm just pointing out it can throw off plans you made 6 months ago..

I’m jealous! I’m going there Sunday and it’s supposed to rain ): Did you get a RoTR boarding group?
Heck, you could have gotten there are 5 till 7:00 and gotten the same or even earlier position.
How early you get to HS has no bearing at all on your Boarding Group. Just gotta be inside the park. You can do that 5 min before they open the group sign ups. Only get there as early as you did if you want to get in some ride's stand by line too.
I knew that going in. Back when I came in Dec. it was first come first serve. I am an anxious type of person- and knew I could come in later but was anxious about getting through the parking and security- etc. etc. I did go back on Sunday and arrived at 6:15 am. It was nerve racking but made it through the Taps by 6:40 and ended up with BG 133- the last official group of the day.

It was nerve racking but made it through the Taps by 6:40 and ended up with BG 133- the last official group of the day.
This really bothers me. This one ride can obliterate a day of your schedule.

I don’t want to be stuck in HS studios all day after getting there an hour or so before opening with two small kids! Yes I know you have a two hour window to show up once called but now how do you plan FP around having zero idea of what boarding group you’ll get? Do you even bother setting up FP for another park later in the day, if your goal is to ride ROTR and then hop?

Can you chance making a dinner ADR in another park?

All of our ADRs were made months ago, before ROTR process was announced

At this point, I wish they would just offer a paid way to guarantee a spot.

I wouldn't care if I was a repeat DW visitor, but I won’t be back for many years.

This really bothers me. This one ride can obliterate a day of your schedule.

I don’t want to be stuck in HS studios all day after getting there an hour or so before opening with two small kids! Yes I know you have a two hour window to show up once called but now how do you plan FP around having zero idea of what boarding group you’ll get? Do you even bother setting up FP for another park later in the day, if your goal is to ride ROTR and then hop?

Can you chance making a dinner ADR in another park?

All of our ADRs were made months ago, before ROTR process was announced

At this point, I wish they would just offer a paid way to guarantee a spot.

I wouldn't care if I was a repeat DW visitor, but I won’t be back for many years.
Couldn’t agree more. We had made FP’s for the afternoon and a dinner reservation for Epcot literally months ago- -starting at 4:00 pm. Our boarding group was called at 4:10- when we were at Le Celier. Ended up having to book out right after dinner, Miss our FP’s for soarin and mission space- to get back in time. We made it with ten minutes to spare of our two hour window; and because we were the last official boarding group and the park was closing at 8- being late and begging for mercy really wasn’t an option- not to mention how often it goes down- you really need to ride as soon as you can- because chances are it could break down again. So- even with planning on having to spend most of the day at HS and making late Fp’s somewhere else- it really didn’t work out so well. What is even more frustrating is that since it breaks down so often, you never know how quickly (or not)- the groups will be called. Some days it is 10 an hour, others it is 15 plus. Last Friday they only made it to group 70 (which I know is the exception)- but we were literally at the park from opening waiting to be called as group 61 which we were told would be around noon. I would rather have had a time ticket and they tell you to come back at that time, and if it is down, you can show up anytime after that. Right now- it’s a bad system in my opinion.

Couldn’t agree more. We had made FP’s for the afternoon and a dinner reservation for Epcot literally months ago- -starting at 4:00 pm. Our boarding group was called at 4:10- when we were at Le Celier. Ended up having to book out right after dinner, Miss our FP’s for soarin and mission space- to get back in time. We made it with ten minutes to spare of our two hour window; and because we were the last official boarding group and the park was closing at 8- being late and begging for mercy really wasn’t an option- not to mention how often it goes down- you really need to ride as soon as you can- because chances are it could break down again. So- even with planning on having to spend most of the day at HS and making late Fp’s somewhere else- it really didn’t work out so well. What is even more frustrating is that since it breaks down so often, you never know how quickly (or not)- the groups will be called. Some days it is 10 an hour, others it is 15 plus. Last Friday they only made it to group 70 (which I know is the exception)- but we were literally at the park from opening waiting to be called as group 61 which we were told would be around noon. I would rather have had a time ticket and they tell you to come back at that time, and if it is down, you can show up anytime after that. Right now- it’s a bad system in my opinion.
Your story is exactly what I'm worried about happening to us! I'm sorry it happened to you and you are right, its a bad system--when integrated into DW's archaic "pick everything months in advance" ecosystem.

In a vacuum, is a very fair system. But DW isn't in a vacuum.

Your story is exactly what I'm worried about happening to us! I'm sorry it happened to you and you are right, its a bad system--when integrated into DW's archaic "pick everything months in advance" ecosystem.

In a vacuum, is a very fair system. But DW isn't in a vacuum.
I would prefer just a five hour standby line to having my entire day waiting around to be called- at least I could plan a five hour wait in advance and around my dining and other FP plans. For what it is worth- I would t wait more that an hour or two mac again - now that I have done it. I prefer Flight of Passage. My 16 year old daughter prefers ROR.

The general advice is not to have any solid plans outside of DHS on your RotR day. For the most part, that keeps you out of trouble. It's far from ideal not being able to pick a time that's convenient, but it's worth not having to tie yourself up for half a day literally in line.

There are a lot of things to do in DHS. I would much rather be tied to a park (we don’t have hoppers so will be anyway) and be free to come and go close by then sit in line for 5 hours. I get that people may have made ADRs in other parks but a lot of ADRs free up the week before or even day before.

I just can’t imagine that waiting in line is better than seeing any of the shows or getting same day FPs for another ride or waiting in 5 hour long lines for 5 other rides in the time. As someone with kids who aren’t even that little anymore there is no way they are sitting in a 5 hour line. So I’m glad they have some option that isn’t that, even if it means we may not be able to eat at exactly the place we want that night. I also really like that I get to have aTier 1 FP pre booked AND a BG (assuming I get one).

No system is going to be perfect for everyone but I think BGs are not the worst option.

We were there over MLK weekend. My son has a 4 day weekend and we pull him out of school on Thursday, so it is a good time for us to head south. Have you been to Ohio in January? Don't. It's gray, all day, every day.

We've been to Disney on MLK 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020 (2017 we did President's Day - more later).

Over the last 5 years I do think the crowds have gotten bigger on MLK weekend. This year we did the parks in a different order. HS was the primary focus so that forced us to change our park order. That could have impacted how we observed the crowds.
Thursday - travel in the morning went to HS (we arrived in the park by 2:00), 3 FPs, Droid Depot and Oga's
Friday - up early - HS, got RoR boarding group 26, the ride was offline a lot on 1/17 - we did manage to ride
Friday afternoon - AK 3 FPs
Saturday - EPCOT - 3 FPs (test track closed for refurb). Day 2 for Festival of the Arts. Crowds were awful. Couldn't find a food line with less than 20 people. Managed to grab a lunch reservation at San Angel Inn (it was fabulous). Tried to walk through the countries, too many people! Cut our loses, went back to CBR to swim and have a drink. Headed to MK about 8:00 pm. Had a great night, rode lots of rides.
Sunday - MK 3 FPs. VERY BUSY. wait times were through the roof. We've never done MK on a Sunday, always did it on Friday, but HS won out.

We still had a great time, made some great memories. But it was busier than I've ever seen it in 5 years.

2017 - We visited over President's Weekend (also a 4 day weekend for us). It was also the weekend before Mardi Gras. That made the crowds swell. I will make sure to check when is Mardi Gras before ever heading to Disney in Feb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter