Why is sharing general public discount codes not allowed?

sharona

DIS Veteran
:confused3

It's allowed on other boards but not the SW/DC board or not allowed in general?

I thought only sharing PIN codes was not allowed.

I wondered that myself, considering the code is posted several other places in the thread and even it a title! I always thought pincode and non public codes were not shareable (makes sense).
learn something new everyday.

I wondered that myself, considering the code is posted several other places in the thread and even it a title! I always thought pincode and non public codes were not shareable (makes sense).
learn something new everyday.

I posted the McD code myself a few weeks ago and didn't realize it was not allowed and that thread is still there not locked so I'm confused. I don't want to stir the pot, just wondering what the rules actually are so I can do my best to walk that line!

Public (and non public) discount codes are shared all the time on the Transpo board and the Discount Rates board so maybe just something to do with the SW/DC board...

Hopefully a mod will come along and clarify...

I posted the McD code myself a few weeks ago and didn't realize it was not allowed and that thread is still there not locked so I'm confused. I don't want to stir the pot, just wondering what the rules actually are so I can do my best to walk that line!

Public (and non public) discount codes are shared all the time on the Transpo board and the Discount Rates board so maybe just something to do with the SW/DC board...

Hopefully a mod will come along and clarify...

I think Metro West is the Mod for this board-you could PM and ask.

Yeah, I'm confused also. Sharing of publically available codes that are not for one time use or specific for one person goes on here and online all the time. It's not like a PIN that is linked to one person specifically. In fact, experts on talk shows who discuss deals and ways to save money are always suggesting Googling "promotion code" or something similar for whatever you're looking for. Closing the threads doesn't make any sense.

Thinking it has more to do with the fact that there was a thread already on the board about the code that had been there for a couple days before the 2nd thread was added . The original thread is still on the board and has not been closed.

Thinking it has more to do with the fact that there was a thread already on the board about the code that had been there for a couple days before the 2nd thread was added . The original thread is still on the board and has not been closed.

I don't know about that. The reason given for closing the threads was that code sharing is not allowed.

Besides, if they locked every same old topic, duplicate question 2 posts later thread on the DIS, there would be nothing left.

This is Disney's, Seaworld's, and Universal Studios' policies on codes. Most codes are so you buy a product (like Coke) to get the code or at least visit their restaurant (like McDonalds.) The companies pay money for that advertisement. The codes are not publicly posted by the companies involved but to sell a product. We are here to provide information, and are not going to advocate ways to circumvent their rules or policies. Please keep this in mind when posting codes. If the code is not posted publicly on the theme parks' website or at the advertisers' website, then it is not a public code, so please don't post it publicly on this board.

That's an interesting policy, however, I think it's slightly flawed. If the code was unique to each product purchased (a unique code on a box of McDonald's Fries, for example), then I'd agree with the policy as it's stated. If the code is not unique, such as the McDonalds code in question, then it's not tied to selling a specific product to get the code. The fact that the codes are shared online is in fact promoting the company and its products. Learning about the codes here is a way of marketing both McDonalds and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens in the social media age.

They want you to buy their product, visit their restaurant, or go to their website to get the code. Think of it as a coupon. You can clip coupons out of the newspaper or print them off on the official website but you can't use a coupon that you photocopied from a friend or mass produce the coupons yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter