Why is the rum always gone? We might be responsible! UPDATE 7/13: My photos are back and other stuff

Burgers and pool time sounds like a great last day to me!!!! I don't think I realized it before, but i had no idea you all had driven down there. How long is it???????

LOL...too far. It's about 20 hours, give or take (1,100 miles). This trip we drove to Indianapolis the first night, so we could get to Atlanta on our second leg (that's about 13 hours from here, which is just too long to do all at once), so we could have a shorter leg into Orlando and make it to Epcot on our arrival day! Usually we split the drive though, and stop in TN somewhere. We've done Nashville and Chattanooga before, and Sean and I are stopping in Murfreesboro when we go in September. We listened to the Harry Potter books on CD which helped pass the time. The drive going there isn't so bad because, obviously, Disney is waiting! The drive home, not so much. By the time we hit Illinois last trip I had announced that we were never going to Florida again and had stopped talking to all four of them. :rolleyes2

Geez, I need to wrap this sucker up! I've had pneumonia for the past 4 weeks and then on the heels of that caught a terrible cold last week that I'm just now (hopefully? please?!) getting over. My goal is to post my final update this week some time! Thanks for hanging in there with me :-)

Geez, I need to wrap this sucker up! I've had pneumonia for the past 4 weeks and then on the heels of that caught a terrible cold last week that I'm just now (hopefully? please?!) getting over. My goal is to post my final update this week some time! Thanks for hanging in there with me :-)
So sorry to hear this. Dh had pneumonia about three years ago and it was truly terrifying. I used to lay awake at night to make sure he would breathe. Best wishes for a full recovery. It takes time.

We went to Universal last week of January. Your report was so great in helping me imagine what the place was like. While we loved potter, we weren't wowed by the rest of the part. We did enjoy the food though! Thought the prices were pretty good. Toothsome was wonderful. We went twice. Leaky Cauldron had great theming, so so food. Butterbeer and pumpkin juice were awesome. We did Red Oven Pizza and loved it. We are going back to Universal in October and January.

So sorry to hear this. Dh had pneumonia about three years ago and it was truly terrifying. I used to lay awake at night to make sure he would breathe. Best wishes for a full recovery. It takes time.

We went to Universal last week of January. Your report was so great in helping me imagine what the place was like. While we loved potter, we weren't wowed by the rest of the part. We did enjoy the food though! Thought the prices were pretty good. Toothsome was wonderful. We went twice. Leaky Cauldron had great theming, so so food. Butterbeer and pumpkin juice were awesome. We did Red Oven Pizza and loved it. We are going back to Universal in October and January.

Oh thank you, that's nice of you to say. At this point it's mostly just a lousy cough--just hope it doesn't turn into anything more (again).

I'm so glad my report was helpful! I also wasn't wowed by the rest of Universal but only because I'm not a huge fan of the 4D motion simulators and that's such a big percentage of their rides. My DH and two older boys enjoyed those more than Sean and I did. I did love the Dragon Challenge and Hulk coasters though, and thought the overall theming of the parks was fun. Three Broomsticks sounds like it was the same as Leaky Cauldron--OK food but awesome theming. I had Red Oven Pizza on my list at first but as you saw, we'd had plenty of pizza by that point in the trip! We'll have to make it back over and try Toothsome one of these days. I thought City Walk was a lot of fun--I could totally see us driving over there from WDW for dinner on a short/non-park day :)

Ugh we had a nasty crud going around that had a staying power to it also! Hope you feel better soon. Also if you happen to stay near Atlanta again I happen to know a Diser who would love to meet y'all! We have a cowfish! It's R! Okay no it's me. I had to come clean about that. I know you were convinced and all...

At long last, time to wrap up this report!

We did, obviously, make it back to Wisconsin even though I was ready to kill my entire family by the time we crossed the border into Illinois. That was a long last 4 hours of driving. Thankfully we made it, as did all of our cool souvenir cups:

Our WDW dining was, for the most part, successful. I don’t regret any of the ADRs we made, even though we hit some bumps along the way. I’d say our table assignments were the biggest hit-or-miss element, and I feel like I learned a few lessons there and will know when/where I need to be more specific about what works for our family. For the most part the service we received was excellent. Everyone wasn’t over the top, crazy throwing pixie dust in your face, but I felt like they were all attentive, friendly and helpful. Even our worst server (at Kona Café) was still very nice. She was just slow :rolleyes2

So what were everyone’s favorite/least favorite restaurants?

Devon:

• Favorite: California Grill (he loved the pork dish)
  • Least Favorite: Trattoria al Forno (not sure why…he liked his food, but said if we were to do Italian again he’d rather go to Via Napoli)

Nathan:

• Favorite: Sci-Fi Drive-In (“For the atmosphere, and I liked my burger.”)
  • Least Favorite: Kona Café (“I honestly don’t even remember it…it wasn’t memorable.”)

Dylan:

• Favorite: Sanaa (“I like the design and I like the food there.”) They also made a big deal about his birthday :)
  • Least Favorite: Raglan Road (“It took a long time. The food was OK but they don’t have too many things that I like.”)

Sean:

• Favorite: Sanaa (“The bread service!”) Seriously, I keep trying to ask him where he wants to go next time and he just wants to eat at Sanaa for every meal.
  • Least Favorite: California Grill (“Because we had to wear those clothes I hate!”) :laughing:

Amber:

• Favorite: Rose & Crown. Not only was all of our food delicious and perfectly cooked, we had excellent service and that amazing table. For overall experience, this one wins for me! My runner up (yes, I get a runner up because this is *my* report) is Jungle Skipper Canteen. The food was surprisingly good and the atmosphere is really well done.
  • Least Favorite: Kona Café (we had slow service and just OK food).

So yeah, we are kind of all over the board, LOL. Just goes to show that it really is to each their own, right? Sanaa will always make our list, and we will return to Sci-Fi, Rose & Crown, and of course Via Napoli for our favorite pizza. I’d really like to go back to Boma as well—everyone enjoyed that meal, and I need another shot at that buffet when I am feeling 100%! I’m sure we’ll go back to Raglan Road again at some point, though there are quite a few other spots in Disney Springs now that I’d like to try.

So that’s a wrap!

I realize that there was a fair amount of non-food related stuff in this report, so thanks for letting me share! All in all this was a great trip—we had some wonderful food, unbelievably amazing weather, and a ton of fun experiences both new and familiar. It’ll probably be a couple of years before all five of us return to Orlando (waiting on Star Wars Land for our next big trip) so it’s nice to have so many great memories to tide us over until then.

I’m so glad that we were able to spend as much time at WDW as we did. Food & Wine was so much fun, we got to stay at three incredible resorts (with Beach Club coming out the all around favorite), and attend our second MNSSHP. Meeting up with @floreksa and her family was an extra special bonus. Fall is definitely my favorite time at WDW!

We also loved our time at Universal. We really enjoyed the resort, and WWoHP is absolutely amazing. That having been said, I don’t see us going back there any time soon, probably until Sean is old enough to ride more that Universal has to offer. Don’t get me wrong, Universal was a blast, but Disney still holds that magical place in our hearts! :love:

I am planning a trip with Sean in September to do a lot of the stuff we just don’t do when we’re with his older brothers (looking at you, Frozen Sing Along!) and I’m sure I’ll do a report on that trip as well since I had so much fun with this one. One takeaway from writing this report is that I have a terrible memory and should probably have taken some notes. I also will try to remember to take menu pictures next time, which would also have been helpful. There will be fewer adult beverages next time since I’ll unfortunately be the only responsible adult so I’m guessing that might help as well :rolleyes1

We are planning to return to Sanaa, Via Napoli (maybe I’ll actually remember to take pictures this time), Rose & Crown, Jungle Skipper Canteen, and will be trying Artist Point (dinner), Tusker House (breakfast), Cinderella’s Royal Table (lunch), and the BOATHOUSE (lunch) for the first time. I actually just this week decided to make Boma our departure day breakfast, so looks like I’ll be getting my second chance at that buffet after all. Oh! And I’m planning to book us a Rivers of Light dining package at Tiffins. We’ll also of course be snacking around the world at the Food & Wine Festival again as well. How am I fitting all this into a 5-day trip to Wilderness Lodge? Easy, I just added an arrival day at Jambo House and then a bonus night at Port Orleans Resort-Riverside and MNSSHP to round out our trip! Why can’t it be September already?!?

After reading a lot of posts in the resorts thread and also getting some great advice from (@ariane37) and (@pepperandchips) along the way, I am really getting excited about staying at Wilderness Lodge. I’m also thrilled to be returning to AKL with our arrival night dinner at Sanaa, and am looking forward to checking out POR, even if briefly. Yay for having another trip to look forward to! :-)

Thanks again for reading! I appreciate all the comments and insights that have been shared. It’s been so much fun getting to know you all better!

Until next time! :wave2:

Ugh we had a nasty crud going around that had a staying power to it also! Hope you feel better soon. Also if you happen to stay near Atlanta again I happen to know a Diser who would love to meet y'all! We have a cowfish! It's R! Okay no it's me. I had to come clean about that. I know you were convinced and all...

Ha, you're brave! I will for sure let you know if we make Atlanta a stop for future trips! We stayed in the Buckhead area on our way down in October and loved it :)

Love love loved your report. Loved meeting (virtually) your adorable family! Hate that my vicarious vacation is over. Ugh. (This report gave me all the feelings, so it must have been a superb one). I work in Buckhead so the Atlanta Dismeet sounds promising. Or you know, I can volunteer as a chaperone on your next trip so that you can have two irresponsible adults instead of one responsible one. Your plans for September are perfection.

And alas, another dining report has made me hungry just thinking about all that Disney goodness only 6 hours away from here. Those souvenir mugs are truly an inspiration... I need to up my game! So far we have a few tiki mugs from Trader Sam's and the Polynesian Bou-tiki (where they sell something similar to the tambu lounge barware) and two dining plan refillable mugs. Oh and two of the Starbucks "you are here" series but they didn't come with drinks so I don't think they count. I love the Chewie and BB8 cups. They would definitely liven up my office!

Sad to see your report end but glad to have made an internet friend along the way, Amber. Happy planning!!! :flower3:

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures with us. Love your family and hearing what all the boys like. And of course us rum guzzling parents have to stick together :drinking1

Or you know, I can volunteer as a chaperone on your next trip so that you can have two irresponsible adults instead of one responsible one. Your plans for September are perfection.

We could most definitely use a chaperone! Probably me more than Sean ;) I am soooo excited for September! Just wish it wasn't so dang far away.

Sad to see your report end but glad to have made an internet friend along the way, Amber. Happy planning!!! :flower3:

Me too! I have been reading your older reports--wish I'd read your Universal TR before we went! Still fun to go back and read, though. Looking forward to hearing about your Poly stay :)

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures with us. Love your family and hearing what all the boys like. And of course us rum guzzling parents have to stick together :drinking1

Ain't that the truth?! It was fun to go back and relive this trip with you all :)

I just read through your whole report!! Someone who loves their booze, AND carries around hot sauce packets?! Can we plan a trip together? Lol. Looks like an amazing family trip - I look forward to the time when my girls are older and we can combine that great family time with some adult time while they hang out. We have a ways for that though, I have a 5 yo, 1 yo, and #3 due in a few weeks. But I can already envision it! haha

Anyway, thanks for the great write up!

I just read through your whole report!! Someone who loves their booze, AND carries around hot sauce packets?! Can we plan a trip together? Lol. Looks like an amazing family trip - I look forward to the time when my girls are older and we can combine that great family time with some adult time while they hang out. We have a ways for that though, I have a 5 yo, 1 yo, and #3 due in a few weeks. But I can already envision it! haha

Anyway, thanks for the great write up!

Thanks for reading! Booze and hot sauce are two of the essentials in life if you ask me. I loved when my boys were little but I do have to say, it's fun now that they're older and we can do more and also find time for some kid-free time on our trips. You'll get there eventually! Congratulations and good luck with #3 :-)

Well I just am a big ol' liar, based on my last post. Our September ADR date has now come and gone and after I looked at my final lineup I felt compelled to post an update, not to mention the fact that I completely changed up our resort bookings as well. Yes, as much as I was excited to stay at Wilderness Lodge, last week I managed to score a kick-*** rate at our beloved Beach Club and when Sean heard that we could stay there and sniff the lobby as much as we wanted it was a done deal (for anyone who has not stayed at the BC, I'm sure that could...and likely does...sound weird, but trust me and take your nose there for a little olfactory tour of fresh vacationy goodness). ANYWAY, here is how our September trip is now shaping up:

Who: Yours truly, and the always hilarious and adorable Sean (aka Seany, the Seanster Monster, Sean-a-roo, Sean Bon (like bonbon) and any host of other terrible nicknames I care to inflict. I had to carry that ginormous kid around for 9+ months and have the stretch marks to prove it so I can call him what I like. And I do.

When: September 16th-23rd.

Where: We are still staying at Jambo House the night we arrive. After that we are off to the Beach Club for the next 6 nights. Squeeeeeee! Oh Beach Club, you and your lazy river and proximity to Food & Wine and the intoxicating smell of your lobby are just vacation perfection. See you in 174 days :love:

Why: As if any of us need a reason, right?! If I had to come up with one, this is a special trip for me and my littlest guy to do what he wants (as long as mommy gets her snacks and grownup beverages) and we are sooooo excited! Planning on a lot more characters/shows/classic rides as opposed to the more daredevil approach his older brothers prefer. Those suckers will be home with dad in Wisconsin so they are powerless to stop us from riding Dumbo and meeting princesses and going to the Frozen Singalong as many times as our little Frozen-loving hearts desire.

But who cares about all that, you're all saying. WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS EATING? I totally changed up our original lineup. Originally I was harboring some resentment over Cinderella's Royal Table and how nobody will eat in the damn castle with me because I live in a sea of testosterone and so on. So I determined that this was it...this was my chance. Until I showed Sean some of the dining report photos and his first question was "WHY do we have to get our PICTURES taken?" Ohhhh kay. Visions of my kid bolting at the first sign of a princess (and I'll be perfectly honest, I have 3 boys and I don't even know who all the princesses are) and me having to chase after him as our $100 lunch is whisked away did not appeal. So CRT was out. I also could not find a way to squeeze Jungle Skipper into our itinerary. I am sad about that one since I loved it last year, but it wasn't Sean's favorite and this trip is all about him or else why would I be selflessly taking him, right??? I also scrapped Artist Point which pained me as I find the menu super appealing, but it makes no sense for us to go there now that we're not staying at Wilderness Lodge. So anyway, here is where we actually ARE eating:

• Sanaa (arrival day dinner after checking into Jambo House and hitting the pool for some chill time and a drink for mommy)
  • San Angel Inn Restaurante (early lunch; I'm in it for the margaritas, obviously)
  • Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room (per Sean's request, and we also scored a 7:50 p.m. ADR so fingers crossed for at least some sort of IllumiNations view)
  • Tusker House (breakfast after morning EMH)
  • Flying Fish (our signature dinner replacement for Artist Point, and someplace I've wanted to try for a while now)
  • 'Ohana (breakfast break on our first MK day)
  • Via Napoli (because...pizza...especially when fueling up for nighttime EMH at Epcot)
  • Boathouse (late lunch post-HS and pre-EMH at MK that night)
  • Tokyo Dining (early lunch)
  • Yak & Yeti (this is my dinner placeholder for AK that night...hoping to score a Tiffins ROL dining package when they're released)
  • Wolfgang Puck Express (our "down day" at DS...grabbing pizzas to take back to the resort for an in-room picnic before MNSSHP)
  • Boma (departure day crying on our Mickey waffles breakfast)
So there you have it! Whew. I feel so much better now that I've been honest with you all. While I'm sad to not be staying at Wilderness Lodge after all I am actually really relieved to be back at the Beach Club which we love and I'm already familiar with and which, honestly, is so much more convenient for a lot of our plans. We were only able to book a standard view which has no chance of competing with the amazing view we had back in October, but so be it. I can always get a drink and go sit on one of the benches on the beach and enjoy the view that way. Why this requires a drink should be obvious to anyone who has read my dining report.

With that I think I am officially signing off on this report! I will be back with the Sean/Mom report this fall, and in the meantime will of course continue to read and spout off on all the current reports that are going. Long live Disney food, fun, and booze! :-)

Who: Yours truly, and the always hilarious and adorable Sean (aka Seany, the Seanster Monster, Sean-a-roo, Sean Bon (like bonbon) and any host of other terrible nicknames I care to inflict. I had to carry that ginormous kid around for 9+ months and have the stretch marks to prove it so I can call him what I like. And I do.

This is also my reasoning for eating all their reeses peanut butter cups out of their Halloween stash.

Sounds like a great lineup of restaurants, we are hoping for a Tiffins dining package for ROL as well in late August. We love some of your choices and I love the smell at the BC, I found some BC melts for my scentsy pot! Did you get a magical deal for the BC, we have an awesome deal for the Poly!

ThreeBoyMama, I just binge read your report and I love it! You have a mighty fine looking family! Your report has sold me on the Rose and Crown; and Sci Fi is on our must do list for our next trip! We are also planning to visit Universal in the next year or two. Your plans for your upcoming trip look awesome. The Epcot resorts area looks like an amazing place to stay :thumbsup2.

ThreeBoyMama, I just binge read your report and I love it! You have a mighty fine looking family! Your report has sold me on the Rose and Crown; and Sci Fi is on our must do list for our next trip! We are also planning to visit Universal in the next year or two. Your plans for your upcoming trip look awesome. The Epcot resorts area looks like an amazing place to stay :thumbsup2.

Well thanks! :) Universal is really fun, but not much beats staying in the Epcot area IMO. Now if only the next 167 days would just go by quickly!

Sounds like a great lineup of restaurants, we are hoping for a Tiffins dining package for ROL as well in late August. We love some of your choices and I love the smell at the BC, I found some BC melts for my scentsy pot! Did you get a magical deal for the BC, we have an awesome deal for the Poly!

I have a candle that smells like BC lobby and we like to just sit here and sniff it. We are weirdos ;) And yes, we got what I consider to be a great rate on our room--too good to pass up! Glad you got lucky with the Poly :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts