Why isn't Maxpass free?

The biggest problem with FP+ is that the stupid MDE system is ALWAYS having problems.

On our recent 10 day trip in July, we were never able to modify or book new fastpasses. Not ONCE. It sucked.

Maxpass has never been down for me in a year and counting since it came out. I visit the parks every week, on average.

I have experienced both systems (am Premier APH so I go to WDW regularly while living on the west coast). I feel like each has its own pros and cons. I like having my fastpasses booked ahead of time for WDW as I get to experience the park more instead of constantly looking at my phone trying to book more fastpasses. Can live more in the moment until I I use the first 3 and then spend time looking for more there too. I will say I have gotten tier 1 as my 4-5th fastpasses with just a little refreshing, so I have done both soaring and test track in the same day via fastpass. But I do like MaxPass and being able to book the other park before hopping over there.

Is it actually free? A park hopper ticket for 5 days at WDW costs more than a park hopper with the max pass option at Disneyland.

Disneyland has to get tricky about how they monetize things. They don't have the same number of resorts that WDW does. I feel like regular Californians spend a lot of time in the parks, and maybe not so much at the hotels. This is the impression I get from some of my friends who live in the LA area.

Is it actually free? A park hopper ticket for 5 days at WDW costs more than a park hopper with the max pass option at Disneyland.

Disneyland has to get tricky about how they monetize things. They don't have the same number of resorts that WDW does. I feel like regular Californians spend a lot of time in the parks, and maybe not so much at the hotels. This is the impression I get from some of my friends who live in the LA area.

But WDW has 4 parks vs 2, so the increased price of the hoppers is justified that way. We have done all 4 parks in a day. Although, probably didn't ride nearly as many rides as we could in a day of park hopping at DLR. LOL! So, maybe it's not really justified after all. The travel time to park hop at WDW is intense.

But WDW has 4 parks vs 2, so the increased price of the hoppers is justified that way. We have done all 4 parks in a day. Although, probably didn't ride nearly as many rides as we could in a day of park hopping at DLR. LOL! So, maybe it's not really justified after all. The travel time to park hop at WDW is intense.
I thought about that, but I don't think most people do that. I didn't and we had a car! (now I feel like that is a challenge I have to try the next time I go to WDW lol)

And you're right, the amount of rides really is concentrated in the DL parks.

The biggest problem with FP+ is that the stupid MDE system is ALWAYS having problems.

On our recent 10 day trip in July, we were never able to modify or book new fastpasses. Not ONCE. It sucked.

Maxpass has never been down for me in a year and counting since it came out. I visit the parks every week, on average.

Lol. Yeah, the system is not the problem here.

Lol. Yeah, the system is not the problem here.

Excuse me? Were you on my vacation with me? We were there when the entire MDE system went down for several hours TWICE. Our Club Level hosts could not even access it. We also had constant issues connecting to MDE using the app as well as logging into the mobile site. In addition to not being able to modify or booknew fastpasses, we were never able to successfully place a mobile order, make a new ADR or view our Photopass photos on my account.

For our troubles, we were given a total of 12 anytime fastpasses by the Club Level staff, as well as a Disney gift card when I emailed guest communications to share our horrible experience. This was NOT a case of "user error."

Get off your high horse. The system sucks and yeah, it prevents people from being able to modify or book additional Fastpasses all the time.

Excuse me? Were you on my vacation with me? We were there when the entire MDE system went down for several hours TWICE. Our Club Level hosts could not even access it. We also had constant issues connecting to MDE using the app as well as logging into the mobile site. In addition to not being able to modify or booknew fastpasses, we were never able to successfully place a mobile order, make a new ADR or view our Photopass photos on my account.

For our troubles, we were given a total of 12 anytime fastpasses by the Club Level staff, as well as a Disney gift card when I emailed guest communications to share our horrible experience. This was NOT a case of "user error."

Get off your high horse. The system sucks and yeah, it prevents people from being able to modify or book additional Fastpasses all the time.
It's amazing you were given anything. Lucky you were staying Club Level when the system went down, most people are usually told "it happens" and "no refunds".

ETA: Also lucky the CL even staff listened to you! We complained to them when that happened to us and got "it happens"

Last edited:
That is very rare, most FPs are available until a bit before park closing, the exceptions are: Guardians, RSR, Star Tours and sometimes Space Mountain. This is of course assuming it is not an insanely busy day in the parks.
Yeah, RSR, Guardians and Soarin were the ones I noticed running out. Maybe we just had a lot of Soarin fans at the mid of Sep- you know, now that I think about it Soarin was having issues during our trip! That could definitely have made what we saw an anomaly for the the wait times and FP availability.

That is very rare, most FPs are available until a bit before park closing, the exceptions are: Guardians, RSR, Star Tours and sometimes Space Mountain. This is of course assuming it is not an insanely busy day in the parks.
That’s not accurate. In the last couple of months, DCA is often out of all FPs except Goofy’s Sky School and Grizzly Peak by dinnertime, even on moderate crowd days. DL has more FP rides and therefore more availability later in the day.

It's amazing you were given anything. Lucky you were staying Club Level when the system went down, most people are usually told "it happens" and "no refunds".

ETA: Also lucky the CL even staff listened to you! We complained to them when that happened to us and got "it happens"

We didn't ask for anything, but overheard a couple other families getting extra fastpasses as well for similar issues. This was at the Contemporary Tower Club. The Beach Club CL staff was less sympathetic later in our trip.

We didn't get the fastpasses for the system being down. That time it was a "that happens" response. We got them when I physically showed the CL host that I could NOT modify my fastpasses on my device and when she tried on her computer, she got a similar hanging screen that would never load. We also experienced several issues with our magic band becoming deactivated and not letting us access the club level floor. She had to call tech support and sat on the phone with them twice for over 20 minutes at a time to resolve the issue, which would simply return the next day. She gave us the anytime fastpasses for the general inconvenience we experienced.

Stepping in here to remind everyone participating in this thread to maintain a respectful attitude and not to be argumentative with each other. Reading different views on a subject can be helpful for everyone following along, but argumentative comments don't help anyone. It is totally possible to disagree with each other while being respectful and giving each other some grace.
Now, back to the discussion!

Last edited:
I think the comparison to WDW isn't really appropriate. The correct comparison should be with Shanghai where FP is done through the app for free.

The Shanghai app will notify you when your FP time has arrived so you know to get your next FP. The California app requires the guest's vigilance to keep track of FP times. Other than that, they are mostly the same with California offering Photopass with the purchase.

The more experience you have with the parks, the more value you'll get out of Maxpass. Visitors to California are far more experienced and will see the value of paying to not walk to the FP machine. Visitors to Shanghai are less likely to have good FP strategy and thus it makes more sense to sell the anytime FP packages to them because they won't understand the value of paying for convenience. If Disneyland in California instead made FP through the app free but tried selling individual FP, I think most frequent visitors wouldn't buy the FP and Disney would make less money overall.

I think the comparison to WDW isn't really appropriate. The correct comparison should be with Shanghai where FP is done through the app for free.

The Shanghai app will notify you when your FP time has arrived so you know to get your next FP. The California app requires the guest's vigilance to keep track of FP times. Other than that, they are mostly the same with California offering Photopass with the purchase.

The more experience you have with the parks, the more value you'll get out of Maxpass. Visitors to California are far more experienced and will see the value of paying to not walk to the FP machine. Visitors to Shanghai are less likely to have good FP strategy and thus it makes more sense to sell the anytime FP packages to them because they won't understand the value of paying for convenience. If Disneyland in California instead made FP through the app free but tried selling individual FP, I think most frequent visitors wouldn't buy the FP and Disney would make less money overall.

I agree with your comparison.

However, the Disneyland app will kind of notify you that your Fastpass time has arrived. It will force open a window that says "It's time!" with your Fastpass ready to be scanned, if you launch the app within your ride window. I'm sure actual ride time notifications will eventually be added to the app's capabilities. They do notifications for Photopass photos and mobile order, so I'm sure it's coming.

To function effectively WDW needs as many people using FP+ as possible. The data WDW gets from people booking fastpasses 60 days out is logistically priceless. That data help plan staffing, food ordering, ride closures, the list goes on. With 4 parks to plan for, FP+ becomes a very effective predictive tool. How do you get as many people to use it as possible- don’t overtly charge extra for it.

MP is the superior tool and DL does not need to rely on it to predict much, therefore it becomes a luxury and they can therefore charge for it.

In other words, WDW saves money on logistic costs with FP+ and DL makes money on MP by selling a luxury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter