why stay in a cabin?

I've stayed at the Fort in a cabin (before the updates) and we really enjoyed it. It's very quiet, you don't have "neighbors", lots of space and things to do all over the fort. The cabin gives you a lot more space to hang out (including a deck). We stayed in a cabin with 6 people and the only drawback is one bathroom for that many. I really enjoyed staying at the fort.

We needed a room for 6 in '99.

The one bathroom wasn't a huge deal since there also was the kitchen sink and we had 2 little kids that could shower together. Oh and easy access to the MK.

Last edited:

I have stayed at the cabins 3x but also before the updates. We have also stayed moderate at Coronado. We loved all the space the cabins give you. There are no kids running up and down the halls, nobody above or below you, a Kitchen, more sleeping space, a couch and table to sit at, and a deck with grill outside!! To me there is no comparison. I know all the resorts have activities, but what other resort has Chip and Dale sing-along?? We also enjoy the boat ride over to MK in the mornings. The only downsides are that the main pool is kinda far away and we had to take an internal bus ( a golf cart is great if you can swing the price)and taking an internal bus to the main bus( golf cart or having your own car will take care of this issue, but it wasn’t bad). One bathroom wasn’t a big deal for us as my family is very “boy heavy” we always enjoyed the cabins but the price has really gone up on them compared to what they used to be so we choose to camp instead of staying at a value/moderate since it fits our lifestyle better.

@firemanx i think i have posted on your thread about dogs. I am just back from the cabins. I have been staying at the fort since 2015 when we got our RV. We stayed at the cabins in 2003 and then again this past weekend. Prior to 2015 i have stayed in almost all the resorts. I have a disney problem, and a run disney problem. I think you have a dog. Based on that i would go with the cabins over the moderate hotel. the main thing is having your own cabin for the dog. You can just take the dog out and go for a walk. You can go to the dog park. People at the fort tend to like dogs and you don't get strange looks. As for convenience, space is nice so is having a full kitchen and grill if you want to cook or bring leftovers back. The moderate is just a hotel. Its a room with a bad an bath. No balcony. I do suggest if you stay at the cabins try to bring folding chairs for the deck. They only have a picnic table. I wished we had our camp chairs so we could sit outside.

I second what all the others posters have said about the Fort. This summer should be our 4th stay in the Cabins, 2 times before the reno and once since. As much as we want to try other resorts The Fort keeps drawing us back. 2 previous times it has been just DW, and now 10yo DD and last time my mom joined us. Because there is only usually 3 of us and even when there was 4, we did not find any issues with bathroom use in the AM. I do wish they had a sink with a mirror above it in the bedroom. After you shower you could finish getting ready there if need be.

We have rented a golf cart all but the first time which was only a 6 night trip so using the internal buses was not that bad. The last 2 times were 9 and 11 nights so having a GC was a big help.

Have the separate bed room is also a big plus. If someone wants to stay up watching TV or are an early riser they are not bothering the others who are in the bedroom. The Cabins are the only moderate that has a separate bedroom.

I also like how after at day at the parks you feel like you are away from it all. As you have your own place it just seems a lot different then a hotel/motel room vacation. It's almost as if you feel like it your own place and not one you are just borrowing.

Last edited:

We are a family of 5, so the additional space, compared to other hotels is a plus. The separate bedroom is nice, although with the kids spread between pre-teen and teen, we tend to stay late at whatever park we are at. Still, it is nice to have the option to watch TV or even read on the deck with an adult beverage if the opportunity presents itself.

The kitchen is great to be able to have a good breakfast without having to go to a restaurant. I always feel that I can buy a weeks worth of breakfast for the family for the same money I would spend to buy one of us breakfast at the hotels.

We are going again in February and, because the airlines are well aware of the school vacation schedule in the Northeast (and price accordingly), we drive down and back. We will spend one day at the Fort during the week as a 'decompress' with horseback riding, archery, pool, and fishing on the schedule. Having the ability to go back to the cabin for lunch or just to relax a little is a much better option than being in one of the hotels.

I stayed in a cabin in October of 2019. I have always loved the laid back vibe of the fort, the homeyness and community of it. I don't own a camper or a tent so the cabin was an amazing alternative. due to size of the resort a golf cart was rented. It was an amazing experience. It was so peaceful and everyone is so friendly. After time at the parks it is so nice to come back to that relaxing peaceful environment. It is really nice to have a full size fridge and have a drink on the deck. I also really enjoyed getting up and letting my BF sleep while I sat on the couch and read in the morning or sat on the deck and read while he slept. I also really enjoyed walking in the morning and seeing kids playing. I saw kids actually playing. They didn't have ipads in their hands or iphones or anything like that. They were playing stick ball and were smiling. I can't wait to go back and stay in the cabins again. I try to visit the resort every time I go to Disney.

We love the Fort..The cabins and the campsites as well. I have stayed in resorts ranging from All Stars to villas...and keep going back to the Fort. The cabins give you YOUR OWN SPACE! No corridors, walking from bus stop to building, no stairs..and you've got your own porch, kitchen, and loads of room with the sounds of nature..not people flushing toilets, kids screaming, loud talkers outside your room....it is heavenly...

After staying in Deluxe resorts for a few years, my stay at the cabins made me realize you can get a lot of deluxe or DVC type features for a moderate price.
1. Uniqueness - While every resort has its own distinct atmosphere, the Fort really feels like an escape. Especially after a long day at crowded parks. It's a wonderful place to relax and get some quiet time with nature. And the cabins give you your own sense of space: separate living area and bedroom, outdoor deck, no risk of sharing a wall with loud people.
2. Kitchen - I admit that I normally splurge on vacations and buy all my meals. But with the fully equipped kitchen you can save a ton of money. I stocked iced coffee, bagels, and eggs and viola! Breakfast for everyday of the trip! And grilling a big family meal of burgers outside was fun and relatively cheap.
3. Amenities - Chip and Dale's sing a long, horseback riding, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Trails End, bike/jogging paths...there's plenty do do and see here. Many complain about the pool, and while I admit it's nothing special, it sure is quiet. I honestly never use the big feature pools at the resorts because they are the opposite of relaxing to me. The quiet pool by the cabins is as basic as they come, but you can actually relax there.
4. MK Access - I love being able to utilize unique methods of transportation at Disney. So being able to take the boats to Magic Kingdom (and Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge!) is a huge plus for me. At other moderates you'd be stuck taking buses everywhere. At the Fort you can start your morning with a pleasant boat ride (I even rode it to Contemporary in order to transfer to the monorail to EPCOT! Yes I know its a bit longer of a trip...I love the monorail! haha)

I often travel at towards the end of Disney's spring or summer promo period. I got an absolutely amazing discount on the cabin, and when compared to what I had spent on deluxe resorts, it really changed the way we could do the vacation. And it freed up more than enough money to get the 6-seater golf cart. I still think of the memories we made driving that thing around.

Thanks everyone for sharing your love of the cabins. The cabins look like a great value right now with the Sun and Fun code. We're in the process of deciding where to stay at the end of August and I had been slightly worried that the Fort would be too far removed from some of the Disney magic, but we really enjoy some out door peace and quiet also, so this sounds like a great mix. DH also has no desire to go to MK with us, so it sounds like he will have fun roaming around the Fort on the day we leave him alone.

Not only can the cabin sleep 6. But there is plenty of room to move around. Much better than your standard moderate room at p o r

Haven't stayed in the cabins yet but have camped at the Fort. It has a great little small town feel to it. We did rent a golf cart cause my honey just had to but if it were just my son and I, we would probably take the buses. We aren't huge MK fans so the ease of getting there isn't really a factor for us but the fort itself is just a great place to be. Oh, and if you have a dog it's great for those furry little ones. We had our little yorkie with us, my honey would go to the parks in the morning then he and she would hang out all day at the fort. Very dog friendly. She loved riding in the golf cart and getting greetings from all the other campers. She wasn't a huge fan of the dog park but she's a big ole scardy cat when it comes to other dogs. She got lots of long walks around the campsites though and even went down to the dock and watched the fireworks with us one night.

Thanks everyone for sharing your love of the cabins. The cabins look like a great value right now with the Sun and Fun code. We're in the process of deciding where to stay at the end of August and I had been slightly worried that the Fort would be too far removed from some of the Disney magic, but we really enjoy some out door peace and quiet also, so this sounds like a great mix. DH also has no desire to go to MK with us, so it sounds like he will have fun roaming around the Fort on the day we leave him alone.
Be sure he has a fishing pole!

@mgsmom He does love fishing! Any tips on places to fish from shore?? He probably won't want to pay to do the guided fishing boat thing.

I absolutely love the Fort. For years towing our trailer and our five kids down from Ohio was the only way we could afford the Disney bubble. My kids always had so much fun. I miss those days so much. Now we fly with one of two teenagers or adult kids and stay in hotels. I tried to convince my husband to try a cabin since I miss the fort but nope he won’t do it. I know though we’ll be back someday. It’s just such a wonderful resort, a vacation in itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!