Why Theresa has earned mother of the year award

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
The podcast conversation about the article and then subsequent ny post article regarding childless couple in the parks (specifically millenial generation) is not about defending the rights of someone allowed in a park, who gets to be there. It's also not about how do people get along, multi generations in the parks, or the parks long lines, or why the original poster is a mean lady or why millenials suck or not suck. It's about parenting. Theresa knows how to parent. She knows.....
plan. do not wait for the meltdown to occur, prepare and plan. and most of all, bring your own snacks to prevent meltdowns to not get to the point of a tantrum (and i mean a mom tantrum not a kid tantrum!). I think in this case the angry lady was having a tantrum , a meltdown, a hangry moment herself not the child. Theresa knows as a parent you can't let it get to that point. You will be hungry in six hours, let's get that pretzel at 8 a.m. and hang onto it so we don't have to be in that bad moment. Perhaps the most important lesson in parenting is to be a good role model. Judging others is common but being a role model to your child is part of parenting too and posting publicly your views may not be the best solution.

Well put. :) I didn't think about Parenting until Theresa and Julie brought it up. I've had people say that to me. That I'm at Disney and you're adult with no children.. Why? Why don't you go to the beach or somewhere else.

My responses.

1). Beaches bore me. I do go other places. I enjoy theme parks
2). My money, my vacation.

Last edited:
OMG that whole post had me so mad (I'm a "millennial", but not childless). That woman is nothing, but hot garbage. Blaming someone else for your son not getting a pretzel when you're the one who didn't want to wait in line? She's not the reason you're son is crying, YOU ARE!!!
It's not like she cut in front of you in line and got the last one or swiped it from your kids hand.
If you really wanted him to have a pretzel you would've waited in the line or gone to find another spot to pick one up (considering they're almost at every kiosk in the park). Bottom line was she was jealous. Jealous that the "millennial" didn't have to deal with a screaming child, could do whatever she wanted without having to stick to a certain timeline and had the body and/or confidence to wear what she wanted.

Walt meant for these parks to be for all, for the child inside all of us whether you're 5 or 50. Stop judging people for what they like. Stop judging people for how they dress, just stop judging people period!

Onto happier news, I'm down to 17 days until our next WDW vacation!!!!!

OMG that whole post had me so mad (I'm a "millennial", but not childless). That woman is nothing, but hot garbage. Blaming someone else for your son not getting a pretzel when you're the one who didn't want to wait in line? She's not the reason you're son is crying, YOU ARE!!!
It's not like she cut in front of you in line and got the last one or swiped it from your kids hand.
If you really wanted him to have a pretzel you would've waited in the line or gone to find another spot to pick one up (considering they're almost at every kiosk in the park). Bottom line was she was jealous. Jealous that the "millennial" didn't have to deal with a screaming child, could do whatever she wanted without having to stick to a certain timeline and had the body and/or confidence to wear what she wanted.

Walt meant for these parks to be for all, for the child inside all of us whether you're 5 or 50. Stop judging people for what they like. Stop judging people for how they dress, just stop judging people period!

Onto happier news, I'm down to 17 days until our next WDW vacation!!!!!
Have a magical trip!

so, this is not to minimize Teresa or anything, but just to mention I think there are a lot of great parents at Disney but, especially for first timers or "first time in a long timers", you just don't know how your kids are going to react to a day at Disney. You can have a plan, have the best intentions, practice at home, etc. - but nothing can recreate the real experience of a day at Disney - so many emotions, so many crowds, the heat, just being out of your normal schedule ... no matter how much you prepare and how many snacks you pre-buy, etc. sometimes it just all gets to be too much

So a lot of parents can try to do all the right things and still wind up with a kid having a meltdown (or a parent having a melt down). I think the key is to have some contingencies and know where you can go when anyone needs a "time out" to cool down and relax a bit - and just know the day will not go as you fully plan, and accept that

so, this is not to minimize Teresa or anything, but just to mention I think there are a lot of great parents at Disney but, especially for first timers or "first time in a long timers", you just don't know how your kids are going to react to a day at Disney. You can have a plan, have the best intentions, practice at home, etc. - but nothing can recreate the real experience of a day at Disney - so many emotions, so many crowds, the heat, just being out of your normal schedule ... no matter how much you prepare and how many snacks you pre-buy, etc. sometimes it just all gets to be too much

So a lot of parents can try to do all the right things and still wind up with a kid having a meltdown (or a parent having a melt down). I think the key is to have some contingencies and know where you can go when anyone needs a "time out" to cool down and relax a bit - and just know the day will not go as you fully plan, and accept that
yes, exactly. which why i then said the parent then should be the role model and it's not ok to take your anger and judgements into the public social media internet world. she took it to the next level and as a parent you are also now publicly humiliating your child and bringing him and his name for all to read about basically forever. you are 100% correct in writing this but then it went to that next step that was really not ok in my opinion. the internet isn't your weapon to attack people and as a mom who even if she did her level best had a ' moment ' with her child didn't need to post that online.
And i would actually like to add your comment which was appropriately said to: one time i did reply to one of the podcasters on the dis who is a childless millenial judging a parent on a ride with an issue with their child and was , in my opinion, harsh in his reaction to the event that took place (it was the opposite of the article, it was a millenial without kids judging a parent and their child's behavior) and i responded by saying don't judge, you have no idea what that parent and/or child's life is like. But it really takes it to the next level to post.

Have a magical trip!

Thanks, I seriously can not wait! This millennial is having a hard time concentrating at work lol. When we went last year my daughter was only 18 months so not super into anything really yet, now she's 2 and a half and absolutely adores Frozen and Mickey & the gang so I'm so excited to see her reactions this year (while hoping I didn't build them up too much in my head). She watches the Disneyland Fun Sing Along and always waves and says "Bye Mickey, bye Minnie, see you later" melts this Momma's heart!

yes, exactly. which why i then said the parent then should be the role model and it's not ok to take your anger and judgements into the public social media internet world. she took it to the next level and as a parent you are also now publicly humiliating your child and bringing him and his name for all to read about basically forever. you are 100% correct in writing this but then it went to that next step that was really not ok in my opinion. the internet isn't your weapon to attack people and as a mom who even if she did her level best had a ' moment ' with her child didn't need to post that online.
And i would actually like to add your comment which was appropriately said to: one time i did reply to one of the podcasters on the dis who is a childless millenial judging a parent on a ride with an issue with their child and was , in my opinion, harsh in his reaction to the event that took place (it was the opposite of the article, it was a millenial without kids judging a parent and their child's behavior) and i responded by saying don't judge, you have no idea what that parent and/or child's life is like. But it really takes it to the next level to post.

Definitely didn't mean to imply I agree with the aurhor of that story or anything -she was, in my mind, in the wrong in several ways

More just that pre-buying pretzles doesn't necessarily solve things and please be understanding of parents who are trying their best but still might be dealing with meltdowns, etc

Honestly if everyone just tried to be a tad more understanding and aware of others it probably would make it for a better experience for everyone

Definitely didn't mean to imply I agree with the aurhor of that story or anything -she was, in my mind, in the wrong in several ways

More just that pre-buying pretzles doesn't necessarily solve things and please be understanding of parents who are trying their best but still might be dealing with meltdowns, etc

Honestly if everyone just tried to be a tad more understanding and aware of others it probably would make it for a better experience for everyone
i thought your opinion was very valid actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter