Why we are removing the DDP from our upcoming trip

Hi Pluto

"Hi Pluto, bye Pluto, missing you already Pluto!"
Background info: Me, DH, and DS (10) - Love to eat, Love TS, WDW & DDP veterans, have no problem planning every meal to the last detail

Upcoming Trip: Dec 2019 - 6 nights (split stay so only 5 nights with the DDP)

I have the trip booked complete with DDP, but I have emailed the TA to remove it. Here's why:

I spent many days planning out our chosen meals, working the best use of credits including buffets and envisioning ordering alcoholic & specialty drinks at every meal. I was set in our choices. Then I did the math. No matter how I spun it, assuming we would always order the most expensive option for every credit including snacks and drinks, we came out CLOSE in terms of what it would cost out of pocket vs DDP. But DDP was still about $50 more expensive.

I kept telling myself, "but the $50 difference will give us peace of mind of having it paid for" and "we'll have the excuse to buy the special drinks and snacks so we can really indulge".

But then a few things were nagging at me:
- We don't have the freedom to order what we really want. Appetizers, shared meals, kids meals, less expensive meals will all seem like a waste or an unnecessary expense.
- We have to have a certain number of QS and TS and we will have to schedule the more expensive meal (dinner vs breakfast) to get the most value.
- We'll have to pay out of pocket for tips and any added extras so it's not like we're making it easier at check time.
- We have no problem drinking alcohol, but do we really want to drink at lunch and then go on rides? Then drink again at dinner... every day?
- And, do we really want our 10 year old to experience the pure gluttony of having milkshakes, desserts instead of drinks, huge adult servings, etc. at every meal along with several snack opportunities?

So I emailed my TA to remove the DDP. I plan on loading up gift cards with the money that would have gone toward the DDP, plus a bit more to be safe. Now we have the freedom to eat HOW, WHEN, and WHAT we want without restrictions... and it feels so good! Still pre-paid, but on our own terms.

I'd love to hear how others are fairing in their DDP vs OOP planning.

~Cari~ pluto:

Last edited:
Well my family uses a dining plan and find that we are more free when we order meals. I like wine with meals, enjoy desserts, and tend to use my snacks credits on awesome beverages at Starbucks or treats to act as breakfast. WE woudl get mugs anyway so that is not a deal breaker for us. I never worry about gluttony on vacation, so that is not even on my radar. I watch the treats at home, not on vacation.

We book TS meals every day, and I never try to maximize the plan, however I knwo that at home I keep red meat to a minimum so we will often order steaks etc. It is not intentionally ordering the most expensive, but our vacation dining is special. I dont care about a higher tip because I have already paid tax on the plan, so no tax is added to anything covered by the plan. I consider that a wash.

I cannot order what I really want once I look at the princes, so a gift card wil not change that mindset. After one or two meals I woudl be eating pasta or chicken. It drives my DH crazybut after all these years he knows me and prefers that we book a plan and have that off the table.

I think that these decisions are very personal and get cranky when someone has an arbitrary Yay or Nay when folks look for feedback regarding plans. YOu need to know more about the family dynamic and how and where they want to dine. As you can see, you and I have entirely different ways of vacation dining and we are just two posters.

We don't eat the way the DDP prescribes, so we may not be the best example.

On our last trip I kept EVERY receipt, including ALL snacks. We only had 3 TS meals over 5 days, had breakfast stuff from home, and the rest were QS meals. We ate exactly what we wanted when we wanted. I never said "no" to any snack anyone wanted. At the end of 5 days, we spent less for the four of us than the QSDP would have cost.

Enjoy your freedom!!

For us, the DDP only really worked out if we had it for the first half of our stay. We prefer to eat breakfast in our room, and since my husband is a Type 1 diabetic we have to order food to bring in the parks for snacks in case of blood sugar issues. By booking a split stay (two separate reservations, one under the dining plan and one room only) we were able to plan a couple of more expensive meals during the dining plan part of our stay, without feeling pressured to eat big meals every day for the entire 9 days we will be there. There is one day where I feel like we might be eating more than we normally would just because we want to use all of our credits, but knowing that we can eat light the rest of the week will help balance that out.

We went for 8 days a couple of years ago and paid OOP, for 8 days with 4 people it cost us less than $900 including a $100 grocery delivery to the room.

AMEN. By doing the math in advance, you won't have the "sticker shock" that a lot of people are trying to avoid on vacation. I always have a good idea of how much we'll spend on meals/snacks before we leave, so I don't feel one bit guilty about ordering whatever we want and paying out of pocket. Sometimes that means we get dessert - sometimes, that means skipping dessert because we can't possible eat anymore!

I usually have our food budget on our Disney Visa Rewards card and/or gift cards. The beauty is when we have money leftover at the end of the trip (which we usually do), we can spend it on extra souvenirs for the kids OR just keep it and use it at the Disney Store or on our next trip. We're not forced to use what's leftover on snacks and junk food that we don't really want!

Depends where you eat. Our trip last year we went to many character meals since we had a two year old along, however if it was just adults then I'd have to do the math. We ended up saving money since we would have eaten at those places anyway.

We also skip DDP. It just doesn't save us any money because of the way we eat. I don't want to add another layer to my planning trying to get my money's worth on the DDP. I know people are very successful maximimzing it, but my family just doesn't eat like we would have to in order to make that work.

Are you remembering to include tax in your calculations, which is included in the DDP? With many of the buffet prices being around $50 or more after tax, it's hard to imagine how you are not coming out ahead.

Where are you planning on eating?

I've been calculating the places we are going vs. the cost and I *think* we will come out ahead even without getting alcohol at every meal or ordering the most expensive item. This is just for me and my husband and includes 0.00 allocated to the drink cup. We do have a couple of more expensive meals (Ohana, Storybook, BOG for breakfast & lunch), but then also have a couple of cheap ones (Homecomin). I'm still on the fence though. We may have a child join us and if that's the case it will be a no brainer to add it.

I just did the math for an upcoming trip. It's just me, DH, and 2 yo and it adds up to $721 not counting what I'll spend on 2 yo (because either way those are OOP costs). We have 2 buffets (Chef Mickey and Biergarten) scheduled for this trip. Standard dining plan for my visit is $906. That's a $185 difference and I'd be 2 credits over on my QS allotment and 6 credits under on my TS allotment. Rearranging my plans to use these credits would mean eating somewhere I probably didn't want to eat in the first place just to use the credits.

My math is based on how we normally eat at Disney- 2 soft drinks and 1 beer/ alcoholic drink per day (total for two of us), and no desserts (we don't usually order them or sometimes we split one). Calculations include tax, but do not include tip (it is not included on DDP, that's an OOP expense no matter what). I used our snack allotment for items at F&G booths mostly, and then the 1-2 snack items we'd want in other parks.

Any scenario where I break even (spend $185 more dollars) means changing my plans just to "get my money's worth." I'd either be ordering beverages and desserts I don't want, or eating at restaurants I don't currently have in my plan, ordering things just because they're more expensive, or eating snacks I wouldn't normally be eating.

Now, if I had 2 more buffets that would nearly be the $185 difference, just to be breaking even. The bottom line is that for us, I've added up at least 4 trips now and based on how we eat we do not break even or come out ahead. If we ate differently, we probably would. I always advise anyone considering the dining plan to do the same.

Last edited:
My original plan had 3 buffets and one signature (Cape May, Boma, Biergarten, and Yachtsman). The Yachtsman definitely lost a lot of value with the 2 credits each. I think the other downfall is that we have a 10-year-old "disney adult" who does not yet have the palette of an adult diner.

~Cari~ pluto:

This is the first time (among many trips) I am finally adding the DDP to our trip. We always eat 1 QS lunch and 1 TS dinner along with several snacks every day we are at Disney. Last year I tried to plan some off site meals and it was a total disaster. DH was whining within a couple of hours at Magic Kingdom on day 1 that he was starving and tired and would I please make a TS meal reservation. Ate on site dinners the rest of the trip. At San Angel I wanted a drink but could not bring myself to pay $10-$15 for one so I went without.

Only planning 3 park days this year and added the DPP. We are all adults me, DH, DS23, and maybe DS23 twin brother. We have 3 TS dinners planned: Crystal Palace, Cay May, and Akershus. All dinners are $55 per adult. If DDP is $75 per adult, then I have $20 for 1 QS, 2 snacks, and 2 alcoholic beverages per day. Since it is only 3 days I am going to try it this year. When they increased the TS meal prices for this trip I decided to think about DPP. So this year we are taking the plunge. Since it is only 3 days I wont be out as much if it doesn't work out.

Since this is my first time, I hope I am thinking about it correctly.

This is the first time (among many trips) I am finally adding the DDP to our trip. We always eat 1 QS lunch and 1 TS dinner along with several snacks every day we are at Disney. Last year I tried to plan some off site meals and it was a total disaster. DH was whining within a couple of hours at Magic Kingdom on day 1 that he was starving and tired and would I please make a TS meal reservation. Ate on site dinners the rest of the trip. At San Angel I wanted a drink but could not bring myself to pay $10-$15 for one so I went without.

Only planning 3 park days this year and added the DPP. We are all adults me, DH, DS23, and maybe DS23 twin brother. We have 3 TS dinners planned: Crystal Palace, Cay May, and Akershus. All dinners are $55 per adult. If DDP is $75 per adult, then I have $20 for 1 QS, 2 snacks, and 2 alcoholic beverages per day. Since it is only 3 days I am going to try it this year. When they increased the TS meal prices for this trip I decided to think about DPP. So this year we are taking the plunge. Since it is only 3 days I wont be out as much if it doesn't work out.

Sounds like a good plan for you actually. Just remember that it's not "2 alcoholic drinks per day", but one drink with each meal and must be redeemed with that meal.

Are you remembering to include tax in your calculations, which is included in the DDP? With many of the buffet prices being around $50 or more after tax, it's hard to imagine how you are not coming out ahead.

Tip isn't included, and tax is 6.5% - not a huge impact.

You're possibly going to break even or come out ahead with 3 buffets for your TS. Cape may is $47.93, Akershus is $62.84, and Crystal Palace is $55.38.

So, looking at Cape May (the cheapest dinner of the 3), you'd be spending around 59$ including an alcoholic beverage. It's not hard to spend an additional 16.50 (the difference of your DDP cost) on a QS meal especially if you'll also be getting an alcoholic beverage with that meal, and then you still have 2 snack credits.

It really boils down to how you (and anyone else dining with you) eats. If you would normally otherwise have 2 alcoholic beverages, eat at a buffet/ aycte/ prix fixe meal (where dessert is included and would not be an added expense), and each have your own meal at each meal (DH and I frequently split meals or one of us orders a kids meal or appetizer as a meal, for example) then yes, you are likely going to at least break even.

Sounds like a good plan for you actually. Just remember that it's not "2 alcoholic drinks per day", but one drink with each meal and must be redeemed with that meal.

Correct. I didn't clarify enough. I doubt we are going to be drinking that much anyway since I am not much of a drinker anyway but it's nice to have the option on vacation. DH will probably use all his. lol. I probably will use mine at dinner at least. We usually split QS meals and don't drink both due to price, so this year I am adding all the options. It might be too much food and drink, but I want to try it at least once. I keep second guessing myself but I have decided to keep it. I want to try not worrying about the cost for once.

My original plan had 3 buffets and one signature (Cape May, Boma, Biergarten, and Yachtsman). The Yachtsman definitely lost a lot of value with the 2 credits each. I think the other downfall is that we have a 10-year-old "disney adult" who does not yet have the palette of an adult diner.

~Cari~ pluto:
We like to use the dining plan and after doing the math on our last trip we came out ahead. We still do character meals because our kid is 7 and they are a great way to meet characters. Once she ages out and becomes a Disney Adult we will do the math again and likely end up not using it anymore. It's just not worth it paying that much for a kid that barely eats to begin with(unless that changes a lot in the next three years. She's more of a grazer atm)

Our family did the dining plan last trip, but this time were going OOP. Were are not all big dessert eater, so it simply didn't fit for us. We still had the dessert (only because it was inclueded) but then didin't have any room for snacks. We also would've gone for some appetizer. It felt like too many constraints for us. I'm sure it can be a good deal, but you're eating habits have to correspond to the plan...

You're possibly going to break even or come out ahead with 3 buffets for your TS. Cape may is $47.93, Akershus is $62.84, and Crystal Palace is $55.38.

So, looking at Cape May (the cheapest dinner of the 3), you'd be spending around 59$ including an alcoholic beverage. It's not hard to spend an additional 16.50 (the difference of your DDP cost) on a QS meal especially if you'll also be getting an alcoholic beverage with that meal, and then you still have 2 snack credits.

It really boils down to how you (and anyone else dining with you) eats. If you would normally otherwise have 2 alcoholic beverages, eat at a buffet/ aycte/ prix fixe meal (where dessert is included and would not be an added expense), and each have your own meal at each meal (DH and I frequently split meals or one of us orders a kids meal or appetizer as a meal, for example) then yes, you are likely going to at least break even.
I know this was in response to another poster, but for me, it's more about the fact that I would be ruled over by the dining plan without any significant savings, if any at all.
If you told me I'd be saving 25% by having a dining plan I'd be like "sir, yes sir, master sergeant dining plan"! :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Our family did the dining plan last trip, but this time were going OOP. Were are not all big dessert eater, so it simply didn't fit for us. We still had the dessert (only because it was inclueded) but then didin't have any room for snacks. We also would've gone for some appetizer. It felt like too many constraints for us. I'm sure it can be a good deal, but you're eating habits have to correspond to the plan...
Exactly! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter