wilderness Lodge 1 BR Villa

jbp24318

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone, 7 time Disney vet. First stay at WL at the end of Oct. Anyone have any suggestions on requesting a specific floor ,area ,etc.views/ convenience (8 days family of 4 ,children 5,6. 1 br villa)any advice would b helpful,, thanks!

So jealous. Been several times. It's our favorite even though we own at BLT and BCV. Always have asked for Higher floor, Woods facing. The views are quiet and no matter what you will not see any fireworks so don't even think you are missing anything. With the above request, have always gotten rooms on the wing away from the main lodge. Hallways can be long, esp after long day at park. But it's a quiet stay. Have a great time.

You can certainly ask. I am not sure that is a category for requesting at VWL. But there are some 1 BDRM's closer to the elevator atrium.

Hello everyone, 7 time Disney vet. First stay at WL at the end of Oct. Anyone have any suggestions on requesting a specific floor ,area ,etc.views/ convenience (8 days family of 4 ,children 5,6. 1 br villa)any advice would b helpful,, thanks!

It's a really small resort, so you really aren't far from anything there. Most of the views are woods or maybe a bit of the lake through the woods.

Its pretty small, there isn't a lot of difference between close to the elevator and the end of the hall.

Most rooms look at trees - through the trees you either see the glint of sun off the lake or the glint of sun off of car windows in the parking lot - but its a lot of trees.

Some people like to overlook the pool - fewer trees, faces the lake.

It's such a beautiful resort and we do love it. But if you use the room patio at all you will be sorely disappointed. As others have said, the view is trees and then more trees. I love the patio at day's end to have a drink, make a call, read a book, people/animal watch. If that's what you like, this is not your resort. I'd still go back because I love it so much, but not for longer than 3 or 4 days. We don't commando the parks, so a relaxing patio is a deal breaker for us.

It's such a beautiful resort and we do love it. But if you use the room patio at all you will be sorely disappointed. As others have said, the view is trees and then more trees. I love the patio at day's end to have a drink, make a call, read a book, people/animal watch. If that's what you like, this is not your resort. I'd still go back because I love it so much, but not for longer than 3 or 4 days. We don't commando the parks, so a relaxing patio is a deal breaker for us.

I like that in a patio. BCV has those patios, too.

I actually does sound just what I'm looking for. I'm from the country, so I should be right at home! Stayed in the treehouse in '11 enjoyed those but really didnt like the transportation issues. Was just wondering if I should try to request a special area or room.I've been to Disney many times (7) and stayed different places each time .was always drawn to WL for some reason , but it never work out to stay there. So I'm excited 61 MORE DAYS!!!

Thanks again for replies and post. Please for feel to make any suggestions or recommendations on WL , as I have never step foot on this resort(just rode the bus through), I'm just feeding my excitement,can't hardly wait.I'm probably worse than my kids.

Thanks again for replies and post. Please for feel to make any suggestions or recommendations on WL , as I have never step foot on this resort(just rode the bus through), I'm just feeding my excitement,can't hardly wait.I'm probably worse than my kids.
Room location
As others have stated, the view is mostly of trees. However, if you make a request (never guaranteed, obviously), I suggest you ask for a room close to the courtyard and pool. Those rooms offer an overlook to the Hidden Springs pool and generally a few less trees through which to catch glimpses of the lake. I also recommend asking for floors 2 through 4. The first floor is ground level and the fifth floor has dormer-style balconies which mean you have to stand up to look out from them. Further, by requesting a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area, should your wishes be filled then you won't get a room at the far end of the hall closest to the service area, widely known as the "dumpster view." The balconies offer plenty of room to sit out on chair and sip coffee in the morning or enjoy a glass of wine at night. They aren't huge, but they are adequate.

Eats
You have three restaurants available at VWL, all of which are located in the main Lodge. Don't worry, the main Lodge is quite close by the Villas section and connected via a covered walkway (at night, the lanterns flicker for a warm ambience).
Roaring Fork - Counter service with good sandwiches, typical grill fare (burgers, etc.), and a few snack items. This is a good place for a quick bite or to get the ubiquitous chicken strips, but most of all, in the mornings they have fresh, made-to-order Mickey waffles with toppings, including a child's portion with milk and a fruit side.
Whispering Canyon - This place gets mixed reviews. We find it overpriced and of below average quality, but others claim the food to be good and the experience fun. It might be fun for the kids (stick horse races, et. al.), but prepare to pay more for the food than it's worth.
Artist Point - Suitable for well-behaved kids, this is one of Disney's premier signature restaurants. If you're looking for a date night while there, this is the place to go as it's very romantic and has excellent food. The Lodge has the Cubs' Den club where trained, friendly CMs entertain and feed your kids while you dine just a couple of hundred feet away with a beeper in your hand. The cost is nominal and my daughter loved it when she was younger.

Activities
Oh, where to begin? You'll find plenty to do at the Lodge, and as a small child, I always loved places where I could enjoy being outside which you definitely can there.
- Hidden Mickeys: Grab a hint sheet from the main desk in the lobby. Not only is it fun to look for them, the sheet will have you exploring the main Lodge as well as the Villas lobby.
- S'mores and family movie time: Each evening, they have a s'more cookout on the beach followed by a family movie. If it rains, they often shift the movie over to the Villas into one of the alcoves off the lobby.
- Beach: It has a beach! No, you can't swim there, but there is a playset there, bike rentals (including a 4-person surrey bike), the main pool, the geyser that goes off every hour, Hidden Springs pool (the one closest to the Villas), and lots of other activities, such as the Trout Pass Pool Bar--okay, that's for adults. ;)
- Electric Water Pageant: You can see it from the beach each evening, and you can actually see much of the Wishes fireworks over the tree and rooftops of the Lodge from there, as well. Should you get a room with any view of the lake, you can also see part of (and hear all of) EWP; further, we've been able to see the higher explosions of Wishes from our balconies on the lake side of the Villas.
- Nature trail: Leading off from beside the bike rental, you can walk along the sandy nature trail that follows along the lake. After about 1/3 mile, the path splits. If you go straight, you'll continue along the lake and eventually run into the CM parking lot for Fort Wilderness. If you go right at the split, it connects to the main paved path the stretches between FW and the Lodge. Or, you can simply start out on that paved path and walk (or bike) over to FW. The paved path starts near the bus stop located off the walkway between the main Lodge and the Villas. The paved path is about a mile one way. On both the nature trail and main path, I have seen rabbits, squirrels, deer, and even a hawk sitting on the ground with a mouse in its talons.
- Fort Wilderness: They have horses and ponies. Go take a look at them or book a ride on them. Further, Trail's End restaurant has a solid breakfast buffet that is one of the best meal values on property: $15.99 for adults and $9.99 for kids.

Overall, the Lodge and the Villas are a quieter resort compared to most others, a truly relaxing resort full of rustic touches and awe-inspiring architecture. I'm certain you'll have lots of fun there. :thumbsup2

Absolutely wonderful description of our VWL!!! Now you are making me miss it sooooo......:goodvibes

Room location
As others have stated, the view is mostly of trees. However, if you make a request (never guaranteed, obviously), I suggest you ask for a room close to the courtyard and pool. Those rooms offer an overlook to the Hidden Springs pool and generally a few less trees through which to catch glimpses of the lake. I also recommend asking for floors 2 through 4. The first floor is ground level and the fifth floor has dormer-style balconies which mean you have to stand up to look out from them. Further, by requesting a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area, should your wishes be filled then you won't get a room at the far end of the hall closest to the service area, widely known as the "dumpster view." The balconies offer plenty of room to sit out on chair and sip coffee in the morning or enjoy a glass of wine at night. They aren't huge, but they are adequate.

Eats
You have three restaurants available at VWL, all of which are located in the main Lodge. Don't worry, the main Lodge is quite close by the Villas section and connected via a covered walkway (at night, the lanterns flicker for a warm ambience).
Roaring Fork - Counter service with good sandwiches, typical grill fare (burgers, etc.), and a few snack items. This is a good place for a quick bite or to get the ubiquitous chicken strips, but most of all, in the mornings they have fresh, made-to-order Mickey waffles with toppings, including a child's portion with milk and a fruit side.
Whispering Canyon - This place gets mixed reviews. We find it overpriced and of below average quality, but others claim the food to be good and the experience fun. It might be fun for the kids (stick horse races, et. al.), but prepare to pay more for the food than it's worth.
Artist Point - Suitable for well-behaved kids, this is one of Disney's premier signature restaurants. If you're looking for a date night while there, this is the place to go as it's very romantic and has excellent food. The Lodge has the Cubs' Den club where trained, friendly CMs entertain and feed your kids while you dine just a couple of hundred feet away with a beeper in your hand. The cost is nominal and my daughter loved it when she was younger.

Activities
Oh, where to begin? You'll find plenty to do at the Lodge, and as a small child, I always loved places where I could enjoy being outside which you definitely can there.
- Hidden Mickeys: Grab a hint sheet from the main desk in the lobby. Not only is it fun to look for them, the sheet will have you exploring the main Lodge as well as the Villas lobby.
- S'mores and family movie time: Each evening, they have a s'more cookout on the beach followed by a family movie. If it rains, they often shift the movie over to the Villas into one of the alcoves off the lobby.
- Beach: It has a beach! No, you can't swim there, but there is a playset there, bike rentals (including a 4-person surrey bike), the main pool, the geyser that goes off every hour, Hidden Springs pool (the one closest to the Villas), and lots of other activities, such as the Trout Pass Pool Bar--okay, that's for adults. ;)
- Electric Water Pageant: You can see it from the beach each evening, and you can actually see much of the Wishes fireworks over the tree and rooftops of the Lodge from there, as well. Should you get a room with any view of the lake, you can also see part of (and hear all of) EWP; further, we've been able to see the higher explosions of Wishes from our balconies on the lake side of the Villas.
- Nature trail: Leading off from beside the bike rental, you can walk along the sandy nature trail that follows along the lake. After about 1/3 mile, the path splits. If you go straight, you'll continue along the lake and eventually run into the CM parking lot for Fort Wilderness. If you go right at the split, it connects to the main paved path the stretches between FW and the Lodge. Or, you can simply start out on that paved path and walk (or bike) over to FW. The paved path starts near the bus stop located off the walkway between the main Lodge and the Villas. The paved path is about a mile one way. On both the nature trail and main path, I have seen rabbits, squirrels, deer, and even a hawk sitting on the ground with a mouse in its talons.
- Fort Wilderness: They have horses and ponies. Go take a look at them or book a ride on them. Further, Trail's End restaurant has a solid breakfast buffet that is one of the best meal values on property: $15.99 for adults and $9.99 for kids.

Overall, the Lodge and the Villas are a quieter resort compared to most others, a truly relaxing resort full of rustic touches and awe-inspiring architecture. I'm certain you'll have lots of fun there. :thumbsup2

Thinks for the detail info , that exactly what I need .I'll b sure to put this info to good use. 58 MORE DAYS!!!! :)

OPINION ? Would you do" early check-in"
online and make room request or opt not to do Early ck n and make this request. ( I know there is no guarantee either way ,just want an opinion

I would do early check in. You can always get the room changed when you get there if it is not what you want. Bring it up at the desk when you get there. You may be surprised that they actually read the requests and try to accommodate.

VWL is our first home resort. When we go I ask for a room in the circle near the elevators. Not that any of the halls are long, but I think the shape of the room may be slightly different in the circle, and it's usually as quiet. PP comment about a view of the pool is a good tip.

It's a beautiful resort regardless of room location.

I'd also recommend as a first time visitor that you do the Lodge tour. It's free and commences in the main lobby a couple of times a week around 9 or 10am. The guide will tell you the history of the building and the period it emulates, where the construction materials came from, and also a lot about Walt Disney, esp his love of trains.

Have a wonderful stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter