Wilderness Lodge Walking Path- Runner Where To Now?

Wakey

DIS Veteran
I understand the path from WL to Fort Wilderness May be closed off for the Reflections building works is this correct?

This makes the resort less appealing as there was a good 10k ish run up and around Fort Wildnerness and back.

Can you still get there? I hear runners are still running some route somewhere?

Just don’t want to be stuck in an Animal Kingdom Lodge type scenario where you cannot run anywhere outside.

Many thanks

I understand the path from WL to Fort Wilderness May be closed off for the Reflections building works is this correct?

This makes the resort less appealing as there was a good 10k ish run up and around Fort Wildnerness and back.

Can you still get there? I hear runners are still running some route somewhere?

Just don’t want to be stuck in an Animal Kingdom Lodge type scenario where you cannot run anywhere outside.

Many thanks
It will be an AKL type situation until the road opens back up. Or you can take a boat over to Ft Wilderness and then run. But it won't work for really early runs.

It will be an AKL type situation until the road opens back up. Or you can take a boat over to Ft Wilderness and then run. But it won't work for really early runs.
Ok thanks that is disappointing but good to know.

You can do a modified path that takes you outside but unfortunately keeps you near people. At either end (or heck, the middle for that matter) of the sidewalk that connects the cabins, simply start running down the walk. From one end to the other (that would be, say, Cabin 8001 to 8026), it's easily over a third of a mile. Once to the other end, turn into the parking lot for said cabins and run through that until you get out to the connecting roads to the parking lot. You can run around the back end of the parking lot to where you originally started. Anecdotally, I'd say that's over half a mile for one loop. I measured the sidewalk when the cabins first opened, but I never got around to doing the rest of the loop involving the parking lot. It's not optimal (I still miss the old sandy nature trail that paralleled the lake and took you in to the Ft Wilderness CMs' parking lot), but it's better than a treadmill. Good luck! Oh, and I expect the paved trail to be closed pretty much the entire time construction at Retirement Villa--er, Reflections--is ongoing.

20190527_141736-jpg.404428

Sorry that it's sideways. I am at Wilderness Lodge this week. Disney has this sign on the path crossroads between the Lobby, Boulder Ridge and the Bus stop. I don't run myself. I am just sad the nature trail is gone.

Attachments

• 20190527_141736.jpg
    20190527_141736.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 298
Yep, that new route makes sense, but I'd be surprised if it's actually quite half a mile. Still, it's an option for shorter runs. Anything over 3 loops I believe I'd head out and around the parking lot. Thanks for the post!

I need more than half a mile! Check the google map satellite picture. In 2017 I found a path that went past the primitive campsites and then joined the WL walking path. It was sort of a service road. Hopefully, it's not going anywhere.

I need more than half a mile! Check the google map satellite picture. In 2017 I found a path that went past the primitive campsites and then joined the WL walking path. It was sort of a service road. Hopefully, it's not going anywhere.
The issue is that the original nature trail that hung along the lake was closed 3+ years ago when they began building the cabins at the Lodge which left only the paved biking/walking/running path. On 5 March, my wife and I saw that path had just been closed due to the construction of Reflections which will also likely take 3+ years. Just last month, it was reported that the service road which normally connects buses between FW and WL was also closed as one couple was stopped by a security person; moreover, the buses no longer take that road but instead go the long way to FW because of the construction vehicles now using the service road. So, it would appear there is no trail, no path, and no road until further notice. Sigh.

Drive over to SSR and run from SSR through Disney Springs, over to OKW and back.

The issue is that the original nature trail that hung along the lake was closed 3+ years ago when they began building the cabins at the Lodge which left only the paved biking/walking/running path. On 5 March, my wife and I saw that path had just been closed due to the construction of Reflections which will also likely take 3+ years. Just last month, it was reported that the service road which normally connects buses between FW and WL was also closed as one couple was stopped by a security person; moreover, the buses no longer take that road but instead go the long way to FW because of the construction vehicles now using the service road. So, it would appear there is no trail, no path, and no road until further notice. Sigh.
Well, that is a bummer that the service road is closed not too.

That stinks, we always rented bikes and went over to FW, I really enjoyed that peaceful and relaxing part of our vacation

Drive over to SSR and run from SSR through Disney Springs, over to OKW and back.
Thanks for the suggestion.
When staying at OKW, I have run around OKW then from OKW to SSR, around SSR, to Disney Springs and into that (pre opening) back around SSR and then back to OKW. Managed a good 10k and it's a great run.
But with kids we don't have time to be driving over to other places to run, we like to be off. WL is out for us until they get some paths back up and running. The AKL type scenario we don't like at all.

That's a bummer. That is one of the reasons we stay there. Great safe area to run. I wonder if you can instead, cut through the camp ground area and run through there? DH and I got lost running one time ( I get lost all of the time) I assured DH I knew the route - which I ran in the past...sure enough, I got us lost...lol. We ended up running through the camp ground, it was very nice and well shaded by trees.

There's always the treadmill, not the same, but still an option.

That's a bummer. That is one of the reasons we stay there. Great safe area to run. I wonder if you can instead, cut through the camp ground area and run through there? DH and I got lost running one time ( I get lost all of the time) I assured DH I knew the route - which I ran in the past...sure enough, I got us lost...lol. We ended up running through the camp ground, it was very nice and well shaded by trees.

There's always the treadmill, not the same, but still an option.
There isn't any way to walk through the woods, the camp ground area, the beach to get to Ft Wilderness with all the construction going on at Reflections. It will take the completion of Reflections to open any path through the woods or along the beach. You can run at Ft Wilderness, but you'll have to bus or drive over there to do it.

Thanks for the info. I had heard about Reflections, but I hadn't thought through the ramifications of construction ... or even thought much about its specific location. I'm just sad because I major splurged for a hotel room in December for my sister, my daughter, and me at WL. The Christmas music, fireplaces, decor, hidden nooks, atmosphere at WL are fantastic, yes! But the other draw is being able to walk and bike to FW. We loved biking in the daytime, riding around and seeing all the decorated RVs and chatting with the owners -- and doing all the other fun FW activities as well. I love to get up early before anyone else is awake and take a long, nature walk from WL to FW. Although WL is compact, the connecting path to FW gave it space and a serene place to walk outdoors.

Thanks for the info. I had heard about Reflections, but I hadn't thought through the ramifications of construction ... or even thought much about its specific location. I'm just sad because I major splurged for a hotel room in December for my sister, my daughter, and me at WL. The Christmas music, fireplaces, decor, hidden nooks, atmosphere at WL are fantastic, yes! But the other draw is being able to walk and bike to FW. We loved biking in the daytime, riding around and seeing all the decorated RVs and chatting with the owners -- and doing all the other fun FW activities as well. I love to get up early before anyone else is awake and take a long, nature walk from WL to FW. Although WL is compact, the connecting path to FW gave it space and a serene place to walk outdoors.
I couldn't agree with you more. My initial love of WL was due, in large part, to the nature trail that started by Teton rentals and paralleled the lake. Further, we enjoyed walking over to FW early in the a.m. to do the Trail's End breakfast buffet--way better than WCC. No way to get there now without taking a bus or driving. . .then taking a bus. I've no doubt WL will be special for you during the holidays--there is no other resort more beautifully decorated--but it's saddening that the very thing we loved so much about WL is slowly, but irrevocably, disappearing. "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" refrain comes to mind. . .

You can't even drive over to Ft Wilderness if you are not staying there. They only permit parking for guests staying there, especially the ones with larger vehicles or trailers.

You can't even drive over to Ft Wilderness if you are not staying there. They only permit parking for guests staying there, especially the ones with larger vehicles or trailers.

When did that change? I'd guess it's been 3 years or so since we drove over.

:boat: :goodvibes

But I completely understand. The paths (mostly the nature but at least some path) to walk over to FW was HUGE for me.
I'm hoping when Reflections open they create a path right on the lake that connects all three resorts and the further in more wooded/secluded one to see nature. I mean the cabins at CCV and those at Reflections won't be spread too far apart.

I actually already sent in a suggestion to DVC and Guest Relations that I hope both paths are considered in the design as it will be beneficial to all 3 resorts, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!