Will DHS holiday hours extend?

kangaand2roos

DIS Veteran
Do you think the hours will be extended, and when do you think it might happen? I have a hard time picturing a 9:00 opening with a brand new attraction, in a nearly brand new land, plus Slinky Dog, during Christmas week. If they don’t change, I think we will use our FPs and otherwise avoid the Studios. It’ll be a nightmare!

Looking back, last year HS was open 9-9.
I would expect with SWGE open and a new ride open, the hours would extend.
I would expect the hours change to be announced early December, but could be even up to that week.

Do you think the hours will be extended, and when do you think it might happen? I have a hard time picturing a 9:00 opening with a brand new attraction, in a nearly brand new land, plus Slinky Dog, during Christmas week. If they don’t change, I think we will use our FPs and otherwise avoid the Studios. It’ll be a nightmare!
That’s our plan. We have a long trip, and since we get to WDW frequently (dvc), we don’t care if we can’t ride the Galaxy’s Edge rides. We will hit up our fast passes and then get out of there!

Yeah. Us too. We will be there for two weeks, and other than the SWGE attractions, we have FPs for the important attractions. We were in DLR in July, and I was in WDW last month, so we’ve done MFSR. If we don’t get on RotR this time, there will be others. The kids haven’t been in Oga’s yet, but we have an ADR for a lunch. I do hope they extend hours because the park is so pretty at the holidays, but I see it being a total madhouse if they don’t.

Holiday hours at Disney can and most likely will extend as late as intra-week.

Went the last 10 years, typically:
- MK will open at 7am for EMH; 8AM to public most days. Will close around midnight or 1am; with a late-night EMH on 12/30. This is when they do the big fireworks "dress rehearsal" for NYE.
- DHS will probably add extra hours with the crowds. I wanna say it typically opens at 8am, with a few 7am EMH scattered throughout. I don't remember much nighttime EMH's, though.
- Epcot will be a lot of the same as DHS. If I remember correctly, it typically opens around 8 or 9am. When it opens at 9, there should be morning EMH.
- Same with AK ^

Years ago, DHS was THE SPOT to go on NYE when you wanted to have a NYE experience, but didn't wanna deal with the crowds at Epcot or AK. We'd go to MK on 12/30, then head to DHS NYE after a nice dinner. The park was so wide open with people gravitating toward Streets of America for the Osborne Lights...and after I turned 21 we grabbed some champagne near Tune-In. My sister and I would kick off the new year by going on RnR, as the park would stay open until 2am with EMH. During construction, it became less desirable and only stayed open until 1am. I predict they'll return to the old model with higher-than-usual expected crowds. They also do the Star Wars fireworks after midnight which is pretty cool.

Epcot usually closes after 12am, MK stays open until 12 or 1.

Yeah. Us too. We will be there for two weeks, and other than the SWGE attractions, we have FPs for the important attractions. We were in DLR in July, and I was in WDW last month, so we’ve done MFSR. If we don’t get on RotR this time, there will be others. The kids haven’t been in Oga’s yet, but we have an ADR for a lunch. I do hope they extend hours because the park is so pretty at the holidays, but I see it being a total madhouse if they don’t.
We'll be ther with you. Hoping for info soon.

- MK will open at 7am for EMH; 8AM to public most days. Will close around midnight or 1am; with a late-night EMH on 12/30. This is when they do the big fireworks "dress rehearsal" for NYE.
- DHS will probably add extra hours with the crowds. I wanna say it typically opens at 8am, with a few 7am EMH scattered throughout. I don't remember much nighttime EMH's, though.
- Epcot will be a lot of the same as DHS. If I remember correctly, it typically opens around 8 or 9am. When it opens at 9, there should be morning EMH.
- Same with AK ^

Years ago, DHS was THE SPOT to go on NYE when you wanted to have a NYE experience, but didn't wanna deal with the crowds at Epcot or AK. We'd go to MK on 12/30, then head to DHS NYE after a nice dinner. The park was so wide open with people gravitating toward Streets of America for the Osborne Lights...and after I turned 21 we grabbed some champagne near Tune-In. My sister and I would kick off the new year by going on RnR, as the park would stay open until 2am with EMH. During construction, it became less desirable and only stayed open until 1am. I predict they'll return to the old model with higher-than-usual expected crowds. They also do the Star Wars fireworks after midnight which is pretty cool.

Yes. The MK and AK hours now look comparable to what they have been on our previous holiday week visits. Epcot hasn’t been consistent in the past as applies to morning EMH. It’s specifically The Studios was hat perplexes me. I guess I am expecting that they are waiting to see the impact of RotR. Whatever it is, we will deal with it. We have plenty of non-park stuff planned. We want to visit every resort we of take photos of the decorations and eat something. I’m just an over-planner and so I want to have an idea of what hours will be!

Yes. The MK and AK hours now look comparable to what they have been on our previous holiday week visits. Epcot hasn’t been consistent in the past as applies to morning EMH. It’s specifically The Studios was hat perplexes me. I guess I am expecting that they are waiting to see the impact of RotR. Whatever it is, we will deal with it. We have plenty of non-park stuff planned. We want to visit every resort we of take photos of the decorations and eat something. I’m just an over-planner and so I want to have an idea of what hours will be!

Where are you staying? That could help dictate a bit. We started staying at BC because of its close proximity to DHS and Epcot.... plus we stopped loving the parks on NYE so we would just hang around the resort property and enjoy the fireworks.

From what other posters on here looks have said, the CMs get their schedules this Sunday which will cover the opening of RotR so we should know about any HS extra hours when that happens.

I'm hoping for EMH at AK & DS for when we're there.

head to DHS NYE after a nice dinner

Wise move, there. Reverse that order and you'll have to delete "nice" from that statement. 😆

It's a bit ridiculous to close at 9pm with current crowd levels IMHO, but it is what it is. I guess internal numbers show people don't spend much on F&B after that time and just ride the rides, so the current regime in charge thinks there's no reason to be open if people aren't actively buying stuff.

Any thoughts or insight regarding the week following New Year's Day? Are park hours likely to expand 1/2 - 1/5 since New Year's Day falls on a Wednesday?

- Same with AK ^

What does HS do now for NYE - do they even have a countdown?
We used to go to HS on NYE years ago when they had Osborne Lights and Mulch, Sweat and Shears performed for the rock'n'roll NYE fireworks show. Those were great times! We stopped NYE at HS when they switched over to the Star Wars fireworks. Not sure if it's worth going back if there's nothing "special" going on. Did epcot last NYE and that was pretty awesome. Probably where we'll end up again this year.

Where are you staying? That could help dictate a bit. We started staying at BC because of its close proximity to DHS and Epcot.... plus we stopped loving the parks on NYE so we would just hang around the resort property and enjoy the fireworks.
We are doing a split stay. 5 nights at ASMu and then 9 at Kidani. We are driving down, so we will have a car if needed. We have ADRs at quite a few resorts, so that will help

What does HS do now for NYE - do they even have a countdown?
We used to go to HS on NYE years ago when they had Osborne Lights and Mulch, Sweat and Shears performed for the rock'n'roll NYE fireworks show. Those were great times! We stopped NYE at HS when they switched over to the Star Wars fireworks. Not sure if it's worth going back if there's nothing "special" going on. Did epcot last NYE and that was pretty awesome. Probably where we'll end up again this year.
They don't have a countdown they just perform SWaGS. I love SW but very much miss mulch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter