Will dining plans be returning?

I have never and will never advocate putting hundreds of dollars on a gift card. Do you (and I don’t mean any specific you, just you in general) have any idea how often folks are left w a cancelled/modified trip with much needed funds locked into a gift card you can’t use? Can’t exactly repair the car w a Disney gift card.

if you can afford to have that much money locked up, and you so choose, enjoy. For everyone else, just consider what happens if you can’t go. Or you go but get sick and don’t spend even half? Or have to leave early?

as always, ymmv, but be extremely cautious before hopping on the gc bandwagon

We have 3,000 in gift card's (maybe more)... We got them prior to covid and did so due to saving % on them. Then covid happened, trip got re-booked several times and at one point we thought about going somewhere else. Which obviously we couldn't. Huge mistake of course. The only "irresponsible" bonus is that we HAVE to go to WDW eventually no matter what... even if we are homeless.

I agree, DO NOT dump everything into gift card's...

We're waiting to book until the dining plan comes back. We're in the money saving minority, and it's not too much food either. The last time we went without a dining plan we theoretically "saved money" but also nearly came to blows because we were hungry, cranky, and trekking across the parking lot in July to eat lunch in the car. Not good. I don't know when we'll return if they don't come up with something.

I'll put a couple of hundred on gift cards, but the whole trip budget? Way to much to commit. Not to mention that "what we'd have spent on the dining plan" wouldn't last half the trip if we ate the way we wanted to (as it is, there's a certain amount of OOP).

We're waiting to book until the dining plan comes back. We're in the money saving minority, and it's not too much food either. The last time we went without a dining plan we theoretically "saved money" but also nearly came to blows because we were hungry, cranky, and trekking across the parking lot in July to eat lunch in the car. Not good. I don't know when we'll return if they don't come up with something.

I'll put a couple of hundred on gift cards, but the whole trip budget? Way to much to commit. Not to mention that "what we'd have spent on the dining plan" wouldn't last half the trip if we ate the way we wanted to (as it is, there's a certain amount of OOP).
Agree. When I compare trips with DDP to trips without, having the DDP was a huge money saver for us. We aren't returning anytime soon, so it's a non-issue for us right now. Hopefully, it will be back by the time we go.

I have never and will never advocate putting hundreds of dollars on a gift card. Do you (and I don’t mean any specific you, just you in general) have any idea how often folks are left w a cancelled/modified trip with much needed funds locked into a gift card you can’t use? Can’t exactly repair the car w a Disney gift card.

if you can afford to have that much money locked up, and you so choose, enjoy. For everyone else, just consider what happens if you can’t go. Or you go but get sick and don’t spend even half? Or have to leave early?

as always, ymmv, but be extremely cautious before hopping on the gc bandwagon
Of course! you have a good point. I don't recommend just using gift cards for everything. Only something to think about for the dining plan if they want to see if they are actually eating as much as they are paying for when purchasing the dining plan through Disney. And I would suggest buying them only if their vacation is for sure a go. Not too far ahead of their vacation. (Unless they plan to use later and can afford to do so) They can even get them just before leaving or after arriving. I might also make clear that these are people who regularly return to WDW.
It's just an alternative suggestion for those that like the convenience but end up not eating what they are paying for in the DP.
It can be another way to pay for dining or expenses in a similar way to using the dining plan, only instead of wasting/ losing money, you can use the left over for other expenses. And at the same time comparing the costs of DP to what they actually spent in meals for future trips.
But yes I agree with you, you definitely have to be careful to get only what you know you will use and can afford to tie up should a need to cancel/ modify arises. And only if you are going for sure. I would never steer anyone in a direction that they can't afford. 🙂

You never know for sure until you are actually there. I once cancelled a trip the day before we were to leave due to a death in the family.

I’ve also been sick at Disney. From an upper respiratory infection to norovirus. Not eating w either of those!

just the practical side of what can go wrong w dining plan or gift card.
ymmv

Last edited:

Me too. We use the DDP every year and love to have it pre-paid- whether that means we get too much food or not. I know that I wouldn't be eating $50 steaks every night if I had to pay that at the time. I am quite "ok" with paying in advance. It's a choice that we make well in advance and are very happy to do so. So from one of the "suckers" - I am glad it is an option.
FYI - it's my 2 cents but yes, it's coming back and my guess is that we will see it for 2021 - it is Disney's most popular and lucrative add on.
Well, it looks unlikely for Spring-Summer 2021 - I am hoping Fall 2021 - for the 50th Anniv. Things keep getting pushed back.

until capacity increases and we see most hotels go online, there wont be a DDP.
I have seen this mentioned a few different times in different threads, but I don't know if I understand the comment. It seems that everyone staying at a resort that is currently open still has to eat, whether there are capacity limits or not.

I have seen this mentioned a few different times in different threads, but I don't know if I understand the comment. It seems that everyone staying at a resort that is currently open still has to eat, whether there are capacity limits or not.

If they sell the Dining Plan they need to be able to accommodate everyone who purchases them plus those that don't purchase them. If you have a dining plan with 5 table service credits you surely will want to eat at 5 table services restaurants. On the other hand, if you don't have the Dining Plan and you somehow can't get into a Table Service, not a huge deal.

If they sell the Dining Plan they need to be able to accommodate everyone who purchases them plus those that don't purchase them. If you have a dining plan with 5 table service credits you surely will want to eat at 5 table services restaurants. On the other hand, if you don't have the Dining Plan and you somehow can't get into a Table Service, not a huge deal.
Right, that makes sense. I was actually only thinking about the QSDP, but from a DDP perspective, I agree with you.

I booked a package today over the phone for February 2022 and, without me even asking about dining, the CM told me about the current dining reservation system and to "keep your eyes open" for upcoming changes. He said there's nothing official yet for a change, but I should keep watching until my trip.
FWIW.

I have a trip planned for August of this year that I booked with the “two free ticket days” promotion Disney is running right now and I got a survey from Disney Destinations asking about the importance of the promo in my booking decision. It specifically asked if I had ever used the “free dining” promotion on another booking and how I ranked its value against my currently booked promotion (in my opinion, for the way I like to eat, free dining is way better). The survey made me think there’s a strong possibility we’ll see the DDP and maybe even free dining in 2021.

I booked a package today over the phone for February 2022 and, without me even asking about dining, the CM told me about the current dining reservation system and to "keep your eyes open" for upcoming changes. He said there's nothing official yet for a change, but I should keep watching until my trip.
FWIW.

Yes, I do see your FWIW
Sorry to say the CM has no clue about anything. They have no insider information and don’t find out promotional discounts any earlier than the general public.
Disney has no idea what is going to happen to dining plan since Covid is still a major issue all over the world. They just said park reservation system staying.
Until parks can be at 100% capacity there is no equitable way to have a dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter