Will Disney raise wages due to the new tax bill?

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by disneysteve, Dec 20, 2017.

1. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Excellent point!!! (Along with all your other excellent points)
    Many people seem to forget this basic fact. As long as Disney can get the number of CM's it needs within the current pay structure, there is little reason for them to agree to pay more.

disneysteve likes this.
  2. OKW Lover

As a shareholder, I'd expect them to evaluate all the alternative uses for these funds and to go with the one that produces the best long-term benefit to me.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. OKW Lover

Jack, do you have a link to the CBA? You might have provided it elsewhere but I seem to have missed it. I'd love to read the contract. Well, love is perhaps too strong a word especially considering that I am not a lawyer. However, I've got some background in labor relations and find these things sort of interesting.

I'm guessing that the language of the contract also provides for maintaining "past practices". A real catch all phrase that accepts everything that has happened in the past and essentially makes it part of the current contract. Once Disney gives out a pay raise because of a tax cut I can see the Union arguing that Past Practices would require them to do so in the event of a future cut. Of course that would never come up if the tax rate were to increase in the future. ;)

5. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Absolutely - and PR (positive or negative) can have an impact on the stock price ... definitely wouldn't expect, or want, them to do it just for the PR - but a lot of the value of the stock is their image

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  6. DisneyKingpin

DisneyKingpin Mouseketeer

Since I don’t want anyone telling me how to spend my money, I won’t tell Disney how to spend its money.

But I’ll always root for the hard-working men and women of this country over corporate greed.

7. CampbellzSoup

CampbellzSoup Son. Husband. Father.

Amen!

8. jcb

jcb always emerging from hibernation

OKW Lover likes this.
  9. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Right, but who defines what is "corporate greed" vs "good business sense"? Wanting to make current shareholders happy and attract new ones isn't "corporate greed" - it's just good sense when running a public company

By no means does this mean the CMs shouldn't get a raise (I think they should and then those that prove themselves should get even more to "keep" them) but it also needs to make sense from a corporate standpoint.

SorcererHeidi and disneysteve like this.