Will I ever actually get there??? A first-time trip to WDW (3/10 - 3/16 2024)

7. Day 5: Epcot/Hollywood Studios

It’s Thursday and my 3rd full day at Disney. I have 2 DAS advance for Hollywood Studios in the evening. The morning park was originally TBD, and I decide on Epcot – I lost a full Epcot day due to travel and I did not manage to do much on Tuesday evening when there.

I now have a better idea of the size and scope of Epcot and know I need to approach it with a plan. I decide to do one or two attractions in the top half of Epcot, and then only half of World Showcase, leaving the other half and rest of Epcot for my last park day tomorrow.

I leave the hotel room and get the Epcot bus quickly. YAY – transportation seems to be going better now! I arrive at the park just as Early Entry is ending.

I pick up a Test Track DAS and decide to “rope drop” Moana while waiting. It is a good plan. The crowds are very light and I am able to enjoy the different attractions.

My favorite is the water “musical scale” and I spend a few minutes playing around. The other magical water elements are more difficult to do alone, but I time my actions with some other small groups at the station next to me, and so can get the combined effect of raising the water in a group.

There is a line for the Photopass in the attraction, but I wait.

1713643143751.png
I get two really awesome Photopass pictures!

1713643151845.png

A nice feature of the Moana walkthrough is the unifying them of controlling water elements. This pulls through to the end, where I enjoy parting the “wall” of water :D

After the walkthrough, I make my way towards Test Track, admiring the topiaries, and stopping for pictures whenever possible.
1713643165815.png

I repeat a picture from the other day with Figment (and am reminded that I haven’t yet gotten to experience Figment with Imagination!)

1713643177134.png

And get a nice shot with the Epcot bird:

1713643194287.png

Hello Epcot Bird!!!

Next up is a short conversation with Walt!

1713643215403.png

I briefly stop inside one of the shops to ask about the Epcot passport. Unfortunately they are out. I then inquire where I can buy the Easter Scavenger hunt. I can purchase it here, but the line is 20 people deep. I elect to wait.

When I go to scan in for Test Track, the CM tells me I should use Single Rider instead as it will be shorter. He cancels the DAS so I can make a new one (Frozen). So I tied up my DAS for 50 minutes for no reason. I am thankful though for the CM, as there are only 6 people ahead of me in Single Rider, and the LL was much longer! I am on and off quickly.

1713643225760.png

The ride was ok, but I am underwhelmed. I enjoyed the inside section, but the outside speed was pretty much like riding in a car but with more wind. I don’t think I would re-ride as-is, but might enjoy the same type of ride with better theming, for example the Radiator Racers in DCA (which I haven’t been to yet).

It’s a little before 10 am and I have around 80 minutes to wait for Frozen. I also realize I haven’t eaten breakfast (oops) and really need to eat something. I start walking around and am down near the Mexico pavilion but realize almost NOTHING is open, and I have almost no options without walking a long distance back towards the entrance :/

I notice in the app there is one outside QS in Mexico that opens at 10 am. I join the line building as I am feeling faint/light-headed. It opens but the line moves really slowly, and it’s close to 30 minutes before I get my food! I order a kids meal, and the portion size is perfect for my amount of hunger. I sit on the patio and enjoy the meal.

1713643240205.png

NOW I am finally ready to start exploring World Showcase! I walked all around it Tuesday evening, but didn’t notice or experience any of the pavilions (oops). Mexico is first. Inside I notice the line for the ride is short, and so elect to ride by standby - one of only 2 attractions I ride by standby my whole trip – I don’t do well with uncertainty, and so being consistent in how I access rides is important. This line I know I can do because I can see the whole line from entrance to loading before joining it!

I enjoy the boat ride and the theming, and so far this is my favorite ride in Epcot.

1713643251713.png

The lighting here is really neat! I would probably enjoy eating at this restaurant if it doesn’t get loud when busy.

When leaving the pavilion, I notice the Kidcot station. I had wanted to do the Epcot passport but they are out. Second choice was the egg scavenger hunt, but the line was too long to purchase…..so, Kidcot! I get my first card. The guy at the station give me a choice of picture to draw on the card, and I choose a guitar in the colors of the Mexican flag 😊 I don’t stop to color ;D

Next up, Norway! I explore the pavilion, and find a Photopass photographer inside one of the buildings!

1713643267366.png

Brrr…it’s cold!

*Continued in next post!

And it’s time for my Frozen DAS! I am a little nervous about the line. I tried to ride on Tuesday, but had to bail. I scan in. Luckily, the amount of people packed into the area is MUCH less, and I am able to maneuver the line!

I get the front row!!!

1713643334949.png

It looks like I am waving, but nope. I’m actually holding up my hand in a futile attempt to ward of the wall of water coming up at me!!!

At some point while on the ride, I notice my sister is calling me. I figure it is my nieces and they want to talk with their aunt. I call my sister back when I get off the ride.

NOPE. There is news from home, and an ongoing situation with my Mom is exploding up again. It’s urgent but not at emergency level. Nope. Not dealing with this while I am in Disney, and I tell my sister that. Sorry, I already lost a full day due to travel, I’m not losing the last 2 days as well. I do thank her for keeping me updated and apologize for basically throwing it in her lap. My sister understands – it helps that she knows I would do the same if it were reversed. It takes me a couple of hours to refocus back away from the situation at home. I’m not looking forward to the mess when I get back :/

Before leaving Norway, I get my Kidcot card. Same for China. I enjoy the panda topiary.

1713643355573.png

Finally I am in Germany! This is the pavilion I was most looking forward to! I lived in Germany for 2+ years, was a German major, and since the pandemic have been teaching high school German. I enjoy exploring, but oddly didn’t take pictures (I guess because I have plenty of pictures from the real Germany!). In the store, I find a shirt that I really like, but it is $40. I decide to wait – I will get it if I don’t get other souvenirs during the trip.

I continue around the lower half of World Showcase, stopping at each pavilion and getting my Kidcot card. Also along the way I find a store that has the Eggstravaganza scavenger hunt and purchase the card, but no matter how hard I look, I can’t actually find the eggs! I am guessing I might need a little bit of internet help to finish it properly 😊

I take picture as I go.

1713643370920.png

Hello 7-dwarves!

I attempt a selfie but it doesn’t turn out well.

Although I can’t find the hidden eggs, I do notice random details of theming in the different pavilions:

1713643384493.png

For some reason I find the deco on this cart to be extraordinarily awesome!

1713643402074.png

I pause for a photo in Italy. I remember watching Lady and the Tramp in my childhood. For some reason I also found the movie a bit confusing so never got into it. I do think they missed a chance with this topiary though – how neat would it have been if they had shown them sharing the spaghetti???

In Japan, I stop to try Kakigori:

1713643414204.png

It is nice on a hot day, but I am missing how this is unique from just a regular snow cone that you can get in the US?? I think maybe I was supposed to ask for the “white stuff” (can’t remember the name) on the top but didn’t know it wasn’t automatic. I find a nice, quiet shaded area to sit and relax while enjoying the Kakigori in the Japan pavilion.

When leaving Japan, I realize I am very tired. I had planned to explore all of Morocco and France before heading out to my break but realize I need to cut it short. I have a DAS for Remy’s that is ready, so I decide to head directly to France, skipping over Morocco and leaving it for tomorrow.

1713643434546.png

Now I get to see France during the day.

The lightning lane for Remy’s is backed up out of the building. Yikes! I am unsure if I should try it or skip it. I decide to skip it, and go instead to a Photopass photographer near the fountain.

1713643445727.png

I do get the magic shot here, but I look silly. I was able to re-do it on my last day here, so will share that one later instead!

Once I am done with the pictures, the line has disappeared inside of the building! I will ride it afterall!

The wait goes quickly and I get on the ride. At the last moment as I am getting on, two people slide into the backseat with me. I look back at the lanes and the lane I/we had been in is completely empty while all the others have the people that had moved up when we loaded that were supposed to be on the next vehicle – I think the two people were supposed to have waited…..I wouldn’t mind except….it is extremely tight. The girl is scrunched up into me. She has long hair it and it whips around into my face the whole ride :/

Despite that I enjoy the ride. It is cute, innovative and fun. I can see why it is so popular! If possible, I want to try to ride it again before my trip ends so I can enjoy it without a stranger’s hair in my face…..

It’s now around noon, and I am tired. It would be a very long walk back to the main entrance of Epcot, BUT the international gateway is right here! I also very much want to ride the Skyliner – I almost stayed at POP mainly because of the Skyliner!

1713643467863.png
I take the Skyliner over to Hollywood Studios. Although it is extra steps, I briefly scan into the park to start at DAS for Tower of Terror (since I’m here anyways), and then head out of the park to the buses and take a bus back to POFQ. I ask for transportation cards, and score! I get another card 😊

Once at POFQ, I order lunch from the QS (the cashier pixie dusts me with a free drink!) and a mickey beignet from scats to take back to the room.

1713643486714.png

After eating, I settle down for my afternoon nap/rest. Next up: Hollywood Studios!

Last edited:
I assert my place and step back in front of the family.
Good for you! It’s annoying when people try to cut ahead and you have to say something. The lantern photo turned out great!
I do think they missed a chance with this topiary though – how neat would it have been if they had shown them sharing the spaghetti???
That’s such a good idea!!

Glad you got to do more at Epcot this day!

Sorry about the rude ladies in the PP line! It would irritate me too, having people assume they could just jump ahead in line. I can see the first lady misunderstanding that you were separate groups, but my response as a member of the second group would’ve been, “Oh this person is in front of us and should go first!”

I definitely think Radiator Racers is more fun than TT! The theming is much more interesting. Hope you’re able to ride it whenever you’re next at DCA!

Good for you! It’s annoying when people try to cut ahead and you have to say something. The lantern photo turned out great!

That’s such a good idea!!

Glad you got to do more at Epcot this day!
Sorry about the rude ladies in the PP line! It would irritate me too, having people assume they could just jump ahead in line. I can see the first lady misunderstanding that you were separate groups, but my response as a member of the second group would’ve been, “Oh this person is in front of us and should go first!”

I definitely think Radiator Racers is more fun than TT! The theming is much more interesting. Hope you’re able to ride it whenever you’re next at DCA!

Thank you to both of you! I think probably both ladies misunderstood and grouped me with the "other" party, but that still doesn't excuse their reactions to me asserting myself. Sadly, that happened a lot during my trip - I think people are not used to solo travelers at Disney and always want to assign you to a "group." Even a CM did this - I was at the front of a line, and instead of him telling me where to go said "ok, I'm going to take the wheelchair now." (I'm not in a wheelchair). The wheelchair group behind me spoke up "She's not in our group." He ignored them and kept pulling their group. I said, "I'm not in their group, where am I supposed to go." He ignored me as well and proceeded with pulling them around me while vaguely waving me off in the direction of the boarding lines without assigning me where to stand. Very confusing and frustrating.

Thank you to both of you! I think probably both ladies misunderstood and grouped me with the "other" party, but that still doesn't excuse their reactions to me asserting myself. Sadly, that happened a lot during my trip - I think people are not used to solo travelers at Disney and always want to assign you to a "group." Even a CM did this - I was at the front of a line, and instead of him telling me where to go said "ok, I'm going to take the wheelchair now." (I'm not in a wheelchair). The wheelchair group behind me spoke up "She's not in our group." He ignored them and kept pulling their group. I said, "I'm not in their group, where am I supposed to go." He ignored me as well and proceeded with pulling them around me while vaguely waving me off in the direction of the boarding lines without assigning me where to stand. Very confusing and frustrating.
Nope, their reactions are definitely not excused!

Sorry you got poor treatment from the CM too. I'd always heard that Disney was great for solo travelers but it seems either some CMs need additional training or they were also having further off-days...

7. Day 5: Epcot/Hollywood Studios
I wake up from my nap refreshed, ready to go. This will be my only evening in Hollywood Studios – there aren’t many rides here I can do, and I’m not interested in most of the IP. My main goals when planning my trip were: Slinky Dog Dash, try a ronto wrap, and maybe ride Tower of Terror.

Now I realize I also want to get as many pictures as possible as I am enjoying Photopass a lot. I am hoping that the one evening will still be sufficient with the photos!

Getting to the park again goes smoothly, catching a bus almost immediately! I arrive and head to Toy Story Land for a DAS advance to Toy Story Mania. I don’t think I will enjoy the ride as I’m not a fan of the “shooting/points” rides, but am trying it as that is what was available for the DAS advance.

On the way, I stop for pictures!

1714264883225.png

Hello Hollywood!

1714264900044.png

Up up and away!! This is my favorite balloon shot from the trip 😊

1714264912371.png

Not quite what I was expecting for the magic shot, but somehow the expression works!

Somewhere along the way, I see Buzz Lightyear. His meet-and-greet is just ending, and I snap a couple of pictures as he heads out, albeit don’t get a chance to interact.

1714264925924.png

1714264938679.png

Toy Story Land! I really love the K-nex on the fence here! I used to play with these as a kid.

1714264959490.png

I arrive at Toy Story Mania and scan in. The LL is maybe 20 minutes long. The queue is really interesting and I take lots of pictures. I can see the standby line around the partition. There is absolutely NO way I would have been able to wait in that hoodlum. I am very thankful for DAS.

I get on the ride and….it’s the first shooter type ride I have been on that I actually enjoy!! Each of the rooms has a different type of arcade game. The ride carts pause long enough for me to actually figure the mini-game out, figure out what is a target vs. not, have enough time to shoot a couple of things, and actually be able to tell if I hit it or not! Most shooter rides I am completely and utterly confused what I am supposed to be shooting at and can’t tell if I hit anything or not.

I consider maybe riding again later in the evening if there is time.

I exit the ride. I have another DAS advance for Slinky at 6:00pm (about 15 min. from now), but it looks like it is down. Based on some conversations overheard in the LL at TSMM, it has been down most of the day. I look in my phone and it has already changed to an MEP.

So instead I head to Tower of Terror. Heading through the park, I stop for more pictures!
1714265030920.png

It is not so difficult to act scared in this picture! I am actually quite terrified!

1714265045891.png

Riding Tower of Terror is a “push me into an uncomfortable zone.” I have never been on a drop ride. When I was younger, I always wanted to go on one, but my Mom wouldn’t let me. Then I waited too long as an adult – I now have too much knowledge of things that can go wrong. Remember the accident in ICON park a couple of years ago??

I still want to try Tower of Terror though. The ride mechanism is enclosed and there is no chance of slipping out of the seat. Plus, I really want to see the theming and story of the ride!

I get closer and closer to the ride, getting more and more pictures, until….

1714265071400.png

It’s time to check in!

1714265083752.png

I guess if things go drastically wrong on the ride, Disney’s got me covered with more balloons!

Picture limit: contd below

When I check in, the LL is long, but moves very quickly. I enjoy the different rooms that we walk through, noticing lots of details. We finally load into the elevator. I’m very nervous!

I really enjoy the parts before entering into the elevator shaft. I’m usually not one to enjoy stories on rides, but this is one that really works and resonates with me.

We enter the shaft. Uhoh. We start moving up/down/up/down (or down/up/down/up). It’s not bad at all!! In fact, it feels like I am floating. I don’t feel drops, I’m not yanked up into my seat belt. This. Is. Awesome. I love it.

1714265167448.png

I even managed to get my hands up for the ride photo!

I exit and know that I will ride again, and set my next DAS for TT.

Now I should eat dinner, so I head to Galaxy’s Edge to try a ronto wrap.

1714265185583.png

I love the idea and concept of the food, but there is something in there that is too spicy for me, so it is difficult to enjoy :/ So not something I would order again.

I walk through Galaxy’s Edge hoping for photopass pictures, but don’t see any photographers! As I am exiting the land, I realize why – they are wearing a slightly different uniform, and I was looking for the wrong shade of green in the shirt!

I get a couple of pictures. This is the only one with a character I actually recognize (sorry not a Star Wars fan at all!)

1714265209457.png

Now I head into Toy Story Land. It is dark out.

1714265223166.png

I really enjoy the theming here at night!

I want to ride Slinky, but it is still down. Instead, I go back cross the park to ride Tower of Terror again. I have zero fear this time, only excited anticipation to feel like I am floating again!

The ride starts, and I enjoy the first half. Then we enter the tower shaft, and…….

What on earth? This is NOT the same! It jerks up and down at a much different rate than the first time. I yank upwards into the seatbelt multiple times. At the pauses it jiggles and vibrates. I don’t remember any of that from before!!

Oh dear oh dear. I think I’ve really entered the Twilight Zone!

I got a good ride photo, though: the people in front of my played rock paper scissors!

1714265259001.png

And I still managed to raise my hands 😊

Later that evening I looked up the ride, and it looks like there are 4 different drop sequences. So, I know one of them I really enjoy, and another was….interesting. I will have to ride again sometime to experience the others!

I finish Tower of Terror. Fantasmic starts in about 10 minutes. I am right there and could easily go watch, but the masses of people pouring into the arena turn me off. I am too tired and exhausted to deal with crowds. I should call it a night, but my MEP from Slinky is calling.

The ride is still down, but….the MEP is also good for Toy Story Mania. I head back to TSL to ride.

1714265285142.png

The queue is almost empty as it is so late, and I get lots of fun pictures.

I can actually stop to enjoy the theming as it is quiet and no rushes of people. But, I’m also not the best photographer, so not a lot of good pictures to share here 😊 I like seeing the Monopoly board on the ceiling, and like the character cards lined up along the queue line.

On the ride, I slightly improve my score. It’s now really late and time to head out.

I stop for a couple of pictures:

1714265309186.png

This photopass photographer remembered me from earlier in the day! When she commented that I was back, I said: but it’s dark now! She looked for a special magic shot for me. This is the best shot I got with Tinkerbell all week 😊

At the entrance to the park, I paused for one last picture before heading back to POFQ and sleep.

1714265324374.png

Good night Hollywood Studios!

I still want to try Tower of Terror though. The ride mechanism is enclosed and there is no chance of slipping out of the seat.
I also have anxiety about most drop rides because of different accidents and will only ride ToT because it is fully enclosed!
What on earth? This is NOT the same! It jerks up and down at a much different rate than the first time. I yank upwards into the seatbelt multiple times. At the pauses it jiggles and vibrates. I don’t remember any of that from before!!
I love that it is random and you never know exactly how many drops you’ll get! I didn’t realize there were “only” 4 sequences though!

Looks like a fun evening in HS and you got a lot of great pictures!

Looks like you had a great night at HS despite Slinky being down! I’m still loving all the magic shots you got. :D

Going to WDW so infrequently and doing ToT only once each time means I never picked up on there being different drop sequences! I’ll have to try it more than once whenever we make it next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter