Will I get sick on FOP?

I get motion sickness quite easily. 7 Dwarfs was very unpleasant for me and won't touch Mission Space, Star Tours, etc.

When I went on FOP I had armed myself with Dramamine shortly before the ride. I wasn't desperately ill but definitely got queasy which was resolved quite well by closing my eyes at least 4 times in different areas. My adult daughter would not take Dramamine and did not like the ride at all, even though she didn't get actually sick. When walking off, she felt 'off' and didn't like the feeling.

I was determined to try it one more time 2 weeks ago as I wanted DH to go as I knew he would love it and wanted to go with him.

This time, I bought SeaBands at Walmart, took chewable Dramamine ONE HOUR and 10 minutes prior to the FP time (didn't plan it this way but I had the wrong FP time) and while entering the ride line, I chewed Ginger Mints (Trader Joes). Once I sat on the 'banshee', I threw Altoids (my absolute go to when queasy) in my mouth. Lo & Behold, it was 100% wonderful. I loved the ride. DH loved the ride. I very much intend to ride it and follow my goofy system every time I go (several times a year).

After rereading this, it sounds ridiculous. But it worked for me.

Doesn't sound ridiculous at all! Matter of fact, it's going to be my new plan when I attempt to ride next week. I love Soarin, stay far away from Star Tours and got a little queasy during Forbidden Journey.

I got so excited the other day when I snagged a FP for our group and immediately it turned into dread about making it through a 9:00AM ride and not be sick the rest of the day.

I'm prone to motion sickness. As a reference for comparison: I can't handle Star Tours and spend the majority of that ride with my eyes closed. I'm fine on Soarin' though. At Universal the Forbideen Journey ride made me literally throw up. FOP, I was pretty much okay. I did close my eyes for a few seconds at at time for the big drop/dips and really only felt mildly nauseous after riding and it cleared up by the time I exited the ride area.

Doesn't sound ridiculous at all! Matter of fact, it's going to be my new plan when I attempt to ride next week. I love Soarin, stay far away from Star Tours and got a little queasy during Forbidden Journey.

I got so excited the other day when I snagged a FP for our group and immediately it turned into dread about making it through a 9:00AM ride and not be sick the rest of the day.
Yeah, another reason I didn't go for the 8ams that released!

It all depends on your experience, I guess. My rankings from least intense to most:

Soarin' -> Mission:Space Green -> Flight of Passage -> Star Tours -> Forbidden Journey -> Body Wars (defunct, thank goodness) -> The Simpsons

I've only done FoP once, so I might switch it with Star Tours, not sure yet. The Simpsons is a "never again" for me, Body Wars would be if it was still there. Not sure if I'll do Forbidden Journey again, but I'd like to...

My wife does ok with Soarin' and some other rides that would probably get motion sickness people pretty sick. She can't do Star Tours but can do the tea cups.... go figure. Anyway, there is a video out there on youtube from the POV of where you put your bags (a fixed, non-moving location) at the ride, which shows just how much movement there is. I showed this to her and she decided that Dramamine or not, there was no way she could take it.

:crazy2:

Thanks for that link. I didn't know it moved that much!

It all depends on your experience, I guess. My rankings from least intense to most:

Soarin' -> Mission:Space Green -> Flight of Passage -> Star Tours -> Forbidden Journey -> Body Wars (defunct, thank goodness) -> The Simpsons

I've only done FoP once, so I might switch it with Star Tours, not sure yet. The Simpsons is a "never again" for me, Body Wars would be if it was still there. Not sure if I'll do Forbidden Journey again, but I'd like to...
I'm cool with Soarin and Mission Space Green, but not Star Tours. This should be interesting.

Oh man, The Simpsons....NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

If you worry about being sick, your chances increase that you WILL be.
Try to relax (I hate it when people say that!), but truly, try to be open minded and shift to being excited for what you about to see. It's really incredibly beautiful. Close your eyes if you feel yourself getting dizzy. You'll be fine. You will be so happy you did the ride. It's the best there is right now.

If you worry about being sick, your chances increase that you WILL be.
Try to relax (I hate it when people say that!), but truly, try to be open minded and shift to being excited for what you about to see. It's really incredibly beautiful. Close your eyes if you feel yourself getting dizzy. You'll be fine. You will be so happy you did the ride. It's the best there is right now.
I first found I had developed motion sickness after an 8 year hiatus of WDW and went on Tower of Terror. It used to be one of my favorites, so of course I was excited to go on it. That didn't help. There is some element of emotional response, but it's not going to make you magically not get motion sickness if you are prone to it.

Oh god, Body Wars. Traumatic flashbacks of being seven-years-old and crying with nausea on that ride. I have this full body sensation of disgust right now even though I was a bit young to remember it in detail. I hadn't thought about it in so long, but I was so terribly prone to motion sickness as a child, and it destroyed me.

I'm better as an adult, and Forbidden Journey and Soarin never make me ill. I do orange on Mission Space and feel disoriented but not too queasy. Star Tours can do it though. I think I'll take advice in this thread and take a non-drowsy Dramamine in advance, get some sea bands, and have mints on hand.

First time I tried FoP I felt quite sick. Ride is so great so I took Dramamine the next time and it was no problem (worth it)

Bonine to me is like taking Smartee candies. Only Dramamine helps me.

Original Dramamine made me a zombie. I felt like I could lose consciousness while walking. That was decades ago, so maybe they have improved their formula.

Bonine and Dramamine can be the same thing, as long as we are talking about the types that have meclizine as the active.

Yes, it seems that the less drowsy Dramamine was the same ingredient as Bonnie when I purchased for my cruise last may. I was drowsy every time I stopped moving. Maybe if I hadn't given up caffeine the month before, I would have been more alert. I will have to do a little research before purchasing again to be sure they haven't changed their active ingredients on me. Years ago, even the less drowsy Dramamine made me so sleepy that I couldn't function.

Okay - so I can't ride Soarin without closing my eyes about two-thirds of the time and Star Tours just makes me sick even with my eyes closed much of the time (and its so jerky).

That said - I CAN ride FOP - but I do still need to close my eyes part of the time - and focus on looking in the direction I'm flying - not around at the whole picture when moving on the my banshee. With FOP - I can easily anticipate the really fast drops visually - and close my eyes - and the positioning is more effective than on Soarin in terms of having the eyes and ears agree with what they are seeing. So - the only time I really take a moment to focus on the whole screen is when my banshee has stopped in place for the moment - taking a breather. I think I can spend about 60-70% of the time with my eyes open on FOP and be fine.

So - if you haven't ridden it - I think it's worth the risk to try it out. A couple other tips - make sure you are well-hydrated and not over-stuffed with food when you try it the first time. I also saved trying it the first time until later in the day - so that if it did make me sick - it wouldn't ruin my day.

Yes, it seems that the less drowsy Dramamine was the same ingredient as Bonnie when I purchased for my cruise last may. I was drowsy every time I stopped moving. Maybe if I hadn't given up caffeine the month before, I would have been more alert. I will have to do a little research before purchasing again to be sure they haven't changed their active ingredients on me. Years ago, even the less drowsy Dramamine made me so sleepy that I couldn't function.

If you try the ones with the meclizine again, try half of the pill. The OTC version is 25 mg and my prescription is only 12.5 mg. My ENT said he doesn't even know why they sell such a high dose

I get motion sickness quite easily. 7 Dwarfs was very unpleasant for me and won't touch Mission Space, Star Tours, etc.

When I went on FOP I had armed myself with Dramamine shortly before the ride. I wasn't desperately ill but definitely got queasy which was resolved quite well by closing my eyes at least 4 times in different areas. My adult daughter would not take Dramamine and did not like the ride at all, even though she didn't get actually sick. When walking off, she felt 'off' and didn't like the feeling.

I was determined to try it one more time 2 weeks ago as I wanted DH to go as I knew he would love it and wanted to go with him.

This time, I bought SeaBands at Walmart, took chewable Dramamine ONE HOUR and 10 minutes prior to the FP time (didn't plan it this way but I had the wrong FP time) and while entering the ride line, I chewed Ginger Mints (Trader Joes). Once I sat on the 'banshee', I threw Altoids (my absolute go to when queasy) in my mouth. Lo & Behold, it was 100% wonderful. I loved the ride. DH loved the ride. I very much intend to ride it and follow my goofy system every time I go (several times a year).

After rereading this, it sounds ridiculous. But it worked for me.

Awe. I was really hoping that I would be able to ride the 7 Dwarfs.

Something to think about: I wear glasses for astigmatism and sometimes can't "see" the 3D effects. I struggled with that this ride and it made me feel VERY nauseous. I don't have problems with Soarin, and I can "reset" on star tours by focusing on the non-screen elements. On FOP, I had to find the "flat" part of the screen, and that was just to make it through the ride. It was a bummer for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter