Will September really be THAT bad?

Maybe I’m being ignorant, and apologies for that, but I feel like everyone is really overhyping Galaxy’s Edge. I may have to eat my words later for saying that.

But September is historically the slowest month at Disney World. So even though SWGE is opening, I still don’t think it will see the same crowds as Spring Break or Christmas.

I don’t foresee families taking their kids out of school that early in the semester, just for SWGE. And since they have those new extra extra hours, that takes out all the locals, for at least the morning, that usually visit in September. Unless of course they get a hotel res.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic. Lol. :rotfl:

I don’t foresee families taking their kids out of school that early in the semester, just for SWGE. And since they have those new extra extra hours, that takes out all the locals, for at least the morning, that usually visit in September. Unless of course they get a hotel res.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic. Lol. :rotfl:

I'm hopeful as well. We booked a mid-September trip before SWGE opening date was announced and we would have cancelled except we're renting DVC points. I do think September will be busier than normal, but aside from Labor Day weekend I don't think WDW as a whole is going to be unbearable. As you said, people aren't inclined to take their kids out of school so early in the school year.

That’s the whole point I’m trying to make. That I think they’re going overboard when it’s not actually going to be that bad.
I'll echo what PP said, if Disney didn't feel it would be needed they wouldn't do it. Imagine how many CM have to be staffed to operate these hours? Disney knows the demand. Many usually think only of families with school aged children but there's a large demographic that don't have to worry about that or simply don't care.
I'm a local and have one reservation already, actually thinking of booking one night again in October just to take advantage of 2 days of EEMH
For me that I've attended SWW for many years that it was offered I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that it will be busy. Disney giving you all these EEMH is just trying to create a better guest experience for everyone involved

That’s the whole point I’m trying to make. That I think they’re going overboard when it’s not actually going to be that bad.
The hope is you are right but I am going to put my bets with Disney being right. I mean, You have your logic and common sense, which Disney also has, but Disney has something you and I don't: the actual stats of the number of people booking, buying tickets, making ADRs. They must be seeing a big spike to be doing this.
I will be going in September. I'm now freaking out.

Not my post but for me it’s that I’ve never seen them do something like this except maybe at Christmas. I’ve seen pictures of Christmas and I don’t know I could survive that.
They adjusted hours and added EMH for Pandora.

I’m happy about it. I think it’s Disney being proactive and responsive to anticipated demand. I have a friend avoiding Disney for a few years. She plans to see GE when things die down. I don’t think they will die down. Look at FofP and Mine Train. Still very busy. The people heading down early to see GE will have the full benefit of this longer hours, highly staffed period. I think there is merit in tackling GE head on.

I booked my September trip months ago. Fortunately I booked one of my favorite resorts, that I actually enjoy spending time at without going to the parks. So if it’s a complete cluster, I will just hang out at the resort a lot. I had also planned on spending a lot of time at Disney Springs and Epcot, so hopefully that will still be a less crowded option. I thought about changing my plans to August, but they really don’t like us taking vacation time in the summer so it would have been a big hassle. I will just make the best of it.

ETA-Well, I changed my mind. I was able to move my bounceback reservation back to the middle of August at the same rate at the same resort, and got the time off approved at work. I really don’t mind waiting to see SWGE and I am hoping by checking out less than a week before it opens that I will avoid some of the crowds. My sister gets really anxious in the mega crowds, so she will be much more comfortable now. We would never make it to the park for 6:00 am.

Last edited:
What makes you freak out more now than before?
Because for a while there people were using arguments similar to this post that it won't be that bad, so I let myself think that maybe everything will be OK outside DHS. But now I'm looking at what Disney's doing, and they are acting like it's Spring Break for MK and AK! And for DHS, they didn't even open this many hours during last Christmas! So my calm is gone and my old panic that started on March 7 is back.
Not my post but for me it’s that I’ve never seen them do something like this except maybe at Christmas. I’ve seen pictures of Christmas and I don’t know I could survive that.
I've never been to WDW during busy seasons, but a friend went on Christmas Day to MK once. Said she only moved when the crowd moved because moving any other way was simply impossible. Yeah, I don't think so! I've only gone during September. I'm used to walking on most rides. I practically never wait in line for more than 10 minutes for anything: rides, buses, ADRs. When it comes to Disney, I'm a spoiled princess!

But I don't think it will be like Christmas. More like Spring Break, judging from MK And AK opening hours. Still long lines, but at least one can move! DHS will, however, will be worse than Christmas. Worse than it has ever been in its entire existence!

It is still an exciting time. It's not every year that September turns into Spring Break! If it's true, we are just going to do our fastpasses in each park everyday and then get out of there. Arrive late (around noon) and leave early (around 3). It helps to be prepared.

Nevertheless, the thought of being in a thick crowd in MK makes me freak out. It's like having to speak in front of a crowd. I can prepare, but the panic is still there.

Last edited:
I moved my trip from December to September hoping to avoid the opening hoopla. Surprise !! I am now there 8 days after opening. On my ADR date I was able to get every reservation I wanted. Hopefully FP day goes as smoothly. I appreciate Disney adding the hours and hopefully will be able to make the best of it. :cool1:

Because for a while there people were using arguments similar to this post that it won't be that bad, so I let myself think that maybe everything will be OK outside DHS. But now I'm looking at what Disney's doing, and they are acting like it's Spring Break for MK and AK! And for DHS, they didn't even open this many hours during last Christmas! So my calm is gone and my old panic that started on March 7 is back.
Well it’s the most anticipated opening at a Disney Parks in years so I would expect crowds.

I think it will be much busier than normal September. I have gone the week after Labor Day for years, and this is the first year I had to stalk and WL days at 7 months for DVC. Actually, I have been stalking one more night, September 13, at GFVs for a two bedroom for almost two months, and that is with a constand auto refresh 8 hours a day while at work and then manually when I get home from work and gym and while on ipaid, like now lol. Most weekends are booked. It will, unfortunately for all of us, be much busier but fortunately for Disney. To the OP, they know more than we do lol

I've never been to WDW during busy seasons, but a friend went on Christmas Day to MK once. Said she only moved when the crowd moved because moving any other way was simply impossible. Yeah, I don't think so! I've only gone during September. I'm used to walking on most rides. I practically never wait in line for more than 10 minutes for anything: rides, buses, ADRs. When it comes to Disney, I'm a spoiled princess!

But I don't think it will be like Christmas. More like Spring Break, judging from MK And AK opening hours. Still long lines, but at least one can move! DHS will, however, will be worse than Christmas. Worse than it has ever been in its entire existence!

It is still an exciting time. It's not every year that September turns into Spring Break! If it's true, we are just going to do our fastpasses in each park everyday and then get out of there. Arrive late (around noon) and leave early (around 3). It helps to be prepared.

Nevertheless, the thought of being in a thick crowd in MK makes me freak out. It's like having to speak in front of a crowd. I can prepare, but the panic is still there.

I’m with you. I’ve only gone in September and January for the most part. I look at pictures of busy times and see wait times on the app and I’m always happy I’m not there. People say a crowded day at Disney is better than a day at work but I’m not so sure. At least I’m getting paid to be at work. I guess we might have some indication of how bad it will be on our fast pass day. Great analogy about public speaking. I usually avoid eye contact and pretend nobody is there. Maybe if we don’t look at the crowds we won’t notice they’re there. :scared:

Just remember that now Disney sells date based tickets... im sure that disney saw ticket sales for fall dates spike and made this decision based on that. The emh at AK and MK are designed to tempt ppl away from DHS. When the DHS lot fills or you hit a phased closure at DHS when you arrived “early” at 7am you will still be able to get into MK or AK as a consolation.

Maybe they are doing it this way as they can't do a 4 hour reservation system like Disneyland, too many hotels. Just a thought.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter