Will September really be THAT bad?

I have attended on 4th of July more than once, usually always at the MK. While it is super crowded it is not unbearable. I feel they are adding the EEMH at the other parks to balance out some of the crowds and not have everyone headed to SW:GE everyday. September last year was not super crowded from what I remember. I am in the process of planning a trip in September now after the announcement of the EEMH. I feel this will be my best chance to experience the land for the first year. After the 2nd ride opens and there is not EEMH I think if they do not limit the amount of people going into the land it will be too hard to move through it and see everything.

So we have been contemplating a trip with our kids and another family Labor Day weekend. My girlfriend called and was discussing hotel and ticket options with a CM and asked about crowds and the extra hours. These extended hours is for sure to try and handle what they already have in booked estimates. She was told they could probably run 24 hours and it still may not be enougho_O. Crowds are going to be at record levels I am sure!

My other thought is what if there is a delay and things don't open as expected? We have never gone to WDW so soon after a new land opening. What are the chances that there are delays with rides, restaurants, etc?

Haven't they delayed some things at Disneyland already?

You have Disney fans and then you also have Star Wars fans! This combined is going to be insane. My gut is telling me we should wait 6 months or so to be sure they at least have everything up and running and completed!

There's currently a lot of available rooms. I broke it down in another thread about a week ago. I haven't checked since then but I could go back and see if this has changed at all once I get a break.
Here it is:

"since we're slow at work (sorry boss if you're reading this), I checked availability for 2 adults and 2 children (9 and 10) for a variety of full weeks (Sunday through Saturday). Some I picked are significant, some are just random. I know the closer we get, some of these may fill up but it's a good reference.

Memorial day week - 21 resorts unavailable
June 9-15 - 16 resorts unavailable
July 4th week- 8 resorts unavailable
Full week before SWGE - 15 resorts unavailable
Full week of.SWGE- 9 resorts unavailable
Labor day week - 6 resorts unavailable
Week after labor day - 8 resorts unavailable
October 6-12 - 13 resorts unavailable
Jersey week - 15 resorts unavailable
Thanksgiving - 18 resorts unavailable
First week of December - 23 resorts unavailable

Now, there's NO way to know how many are staying off-site. But currently, resort occupancy is looking nice. I think Disney overestimated people's ability to book freely. Many can't just change their vacation around after an announcement only 180 days out."

**05/23**Update: Here are the currents- again, with just 2 adults and 2 children -

Next week: 25 unavailable
June 9-15 - 17 unavailable
July 4th week- 10 unavailable
Full week before SWGE- 16 unavailable
Full week of SWGE - 10 unavailable
Week after /labor day- 6 unavailable
Sept 8-14 - 9 unavailable
October 6-12 - 13 unavailable
Jersey week- 15 unavailable
Thanksgiving- 18 unavailable
Dec 1- 7- 23 unavailable

Last edited:
Maybe I’m being ignorant, and apologies for that, but I feel like everyone is really overhyping Galaxy’s Edge. I may have to eat my words later for saying that.

But September is historically the slowest month at Disney World. So even though SWGE is opening, I still don’t think it will see the same crowds as Spring Break or Christmas.

I don’t foresee families taking their kids out of school that early in the semester, just for SWGE. And since they have those new extra extra hours, that takes out all the locals, for at least the morning, that usually visit in September. Unless of course they get a hotel res.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic. Lol. :rotfl:

Here in NJ we're not really taking kids out "early in the semester" as schools don't start until a couple of days after Labor Day, and even then, they're really not missing anything other than "getting to know you/your new teacher" stuff. For me though, the worst part of September is the overwhelming heat/humidity/following by drenching rain showers, and for that reason alone, I don't come to Disney in September or even October anymore.

We booked November hoping the opening would be after Thanksgiving... but it will be really fun to see it and I’m looking forward to it. I am hoping Disney extends those extra hours into November tho’ because it seems like everyone I know is going for Jersey week.

I think yes, it will be busy, but my last two trips were at busy times of year:
My sister and I went for a week over Christmas in 2010 - we were advised by a CM not to go to MK on Christmas Day, but otherwise all was okay - this was back in the days of paper fastpasses which we probably only used once or twice, but we were gung-ho about it, we basically did open to close every day and were able to ride every ride we wanted.
I went back with 2 friends middle of summer 2011 - crowds seemed bigger than they did at Christmas!! But again we were able to ride everything we wanted and take a break mid-afternoon to avoid the heat.

Granted, this was before Pandora, TSL, even before New Fantasyland opened, and while planning this trip I have learned that Disney seems like a different beast than it was last time I was planning. But if I can survive Christmas Eve at MK then I can survive SWGE fans 😂

I get the idea of wanting to mentally minimize SGEs impact in order to feel better about your upcoming trip, but a lot of members here are simply ignorant to what Starwars fandom looks like. But just two more days and you’ll see with your own eyes!

I get the idea of wanting to mentally minimize SGEs impact in order to feel better about your upcoming trip, but a lot of members here are simply ignorant to what Starwars fandom looks like. But just two more days and you’ll see with your own eyes!
and in two days we will see a controlled chaos. With DL limiting the land to reservations, the true test will be June 24th

**05/23**Update: Here are the currents- again, with just 2 adults and 2 children -

Dec 1- 7- 23 unavailable

Wow, this is super helpful. The week we're planning to go (Sep 8-14) looks to be the second lowest out of all of them. That's encouraging.

Any idea how these numbers stack up historically?

Wow, this is super helpful. The week we're planning to go (Sep 8-14) looks to be the second lowest out of all of them. That's encouraging.

Any idea how these numbers stack up historically?

No clue what the actual numbers are from previous years and there's no telling what bookings may come after seeing DL or how many are booked off-site. Its just a miniscule look at bookings i can see and it is 60% just trying to calm my crowd nerves.

We'll be there Sept 8-14 as well at BWV.

Dec 1- 7- 23 unavailable

Thank you for this information.

Since HS is a smaller park, could it potentially reach Phase 4 during this opening time?

I don’t foresee families taking their kids out of school that early in the semester, just for SWGE.
As a few PPs have said, the demographic that is going to swarm the parks for SWGE opening is more than just families with children. There's a whole Star Wars demographic that are (potentially) not Disney fans per se, but are going to be at HS for this.

I agree that you're going to get a bunch of new people to WDW for this. Like myself with Universal. I would never have gone to Universal had they not opened Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I still have zero interest in the rest of that park. I only care about the HP areas.

I agree that you're going to get a bunch of new people to WDW for this. Like myself with Universal. I would never have gone to Universal had they not opened Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I still have zero interest in the rest of that park. I only care about the HP areas.

This is what I'm hoping for. I'll be there with my 3 kids who are all 6 and under so I'm hoping anyone going just for SW won't also be interested in the Frozen Sing Along or Peter Pan. 😆

Since HS is a smaller park, could it potentially reach Phase 4 during this opening time?
it could for opening day or even weekend. They might just also use it to spread crowds. They may say DHS is at Phase 4, for like an hour so people go to the other parks, and then reopen it very quickly.
The land itself will hit closure every day pf opening weekend if they don't do some sort of crowd control

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter