Will "Sharpie's" work for autographs on a sweatshirt?

KendraS

Earning My Ears
Did anyone ever try this? I thought I saw a post about this, but I can't seem to do a search right now and find the old post.

Instead of autograph books I bought a plain white sweatshirt for my 2 kids to use. I bought Sharpie's since they are permanent, but now after closer inspection...it says "not for a cloth".

Anyone have a suggestion...we are leaving tomorrow! Please tell me Sharpie's are ok!!

Kendra

It probably says "not for cloth" because they figure people don't *want* something permanent on their clothes. :)

For you, it would probably work great though. Another alternative, if you're worried about the Sharpies, are permanent fabric pens. They're like markers and should be sold in just about any craft/sewing department of a discount store.

HTH,
Julie

I don't know about the sharpies, but I think I would try calling a fabric/craft store. Do you have a Michaels or Joanne Fabrics near you? They would probably know best.

The T Shirt idea sounds great. What a great souvenior too. I wonder if you could get a T Shirt from on board and have them autograph the back of it?

I bought a T-Shirt at the Disney store with Mickey on it - White with grey picture, stuffed it with clean packing paper inside so that if the ink went through it would hit the paper and bought some permanent pens from the 99-cent store (3 in a pack - red, green and black). I took it to the customer service desk and asked them to have the characters sign it. They asked me what characters and told them any and all. They told me to come back a few days later and it was signed by all kinds of characters. The signatures were great and very creative. It's a great souvenir.

Thumper1 - I am so glad that they do this. Did you get any characters from the shows? Do you think there will be enough room for the characters to sign on a childs shirt?

As much as the idea of dropping the shirt/book at the customer service desk may make sense inititally, try to remember that some of the real "thrill" is getting the autographs in person! Sometimes we parents get caught up and want everything to be "perfect" for our children. A few less signatures may not be such a disappointing thing - instead think of the story they can tell of how they personally had their items signed - now that's a big deal! Just something to consider...:) My dd7 is still talking about how Aladdin returned her "thrown kiss" during the last show!

We are going to have my daughter get all her autographs as she meets them(as she always does). I was thinking of the shirt drop off idea as a surprise for her birthday after the cruise. We would wrap the gift and add a card from Mickey. We have done this in the past. We got a splash mountain beach towel, had is shipped to her with a card from Mickey and also last year for christmas we got the WDCC piece of Mrs. Potts and Chip , wrapped it up and attached a card from Belle. She loves getting these special gifts from her "friends at WDW". I just thought the shirt would be this years birthday gift, with a little note like - "We miss you and are thinking of you. Hope to see you soon, your friends from the Magic."

Sharpies work great on T-shirts/sweatshirts!

We have been getting the kids a T-shirt instead of an autograph book for our last few trips to WDW. They love having a wearable souvenir!

Michele

I've found Sharpies work much better on cloth than fabric pens or markers do. I've had the later fade, but never a problem with Sharpie Brand perm. markers. That is as much a back school item for us as crayons and notebooks. I put tags in children's clothes and never has one faded.

If you do the shirt idea, safety pin a piece of plastic wrap inside the shirt. The pins will hold it straight even if the characters don't keep it as straight as a mom would!

I thought this was an awesome idea that my DD 6 would love but afraid my DS 8 may not think it was "cool" so I started looking for Disney character pillowcases. Had a tough time and then came across a whole aisle of Disney related bedding at K-Mart. They had single pillowcases with trim on the edge that has the Mickey siloutte and a castle! I was thrilled. I also found a "new" type of Sharpie marker that specifically says for cloth.

We just went on a cruise in October so I didn't see a need for the kids to spend a lot in the stores again so I bought several little gifts (most on sale) at the Disney Store. They supplied me with boxes and I'll give them a gift each night with the pillowcase being one of the last. Just little trinkets to be surprised with each evening.

We leave tomorrow for FL and sail on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the great tip on locating a Disney pillow case. I am going to Kmart tomarrow! How long ago did you find them?

I am planning on using a set of colored sharpies/ kplastic pinned liners in cases/ and dropping of in ziplock bag to guest service.

I think these will make a super last day gift for the kids in our group (ages 6/8/10/11)

I also have been "stalking" the Disney store during the last 6months for clearance goodies. They are always so helpful and have the most perfect little boxes to present the goods in. I especially like that the boxes collapse flat for traveling ( and them being free is a bonus!)

Thanks again everyone!

Adria

I got the pillowcases on Monday (1/14). We leave in 30 minutes for FL!!!!!!!! I let you know how the pillowcases worked!

This is coming a little late. When we went in May we brought a shirt and gave it to the lady helping the characters at the autograph session. She took it behind the scenes and had all the characters sign the shirt (even the ones we did not see on the ship but were supposely there). They use their own markers. I was told by someone to put in the dryer and that will make it permanent (so that you can wash it later after the child wears the shirt). The pillowcase is a good idea. I am going on another cruise and was just going to bring another t shirt.

Thanks for all the replies... FYI...we just got back and have a lot of signatures (most of them from WDW...not the cruise). I washed them in cold water and had no problems w/ any of them being erased. However, the purple Sharpie did smudge a light purple stain next to all the signatures written in purple. It doesn't look bad...I am sure my kids won't mind! We used all different colors...the sweatshirt got a ton of compliments!

Kendra

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!