Will Star Wars Opening Render All Existing Park Strategies Moot?

tommygunn

Maniacal Disney Addict!!!!!
I have to say I'm more worried about Galaxy's Edge than excited. I'm a SW fan (admittedly was a much bigger one before the Last Jedi as I thought that movie was a disgrace). But despite my fandom in my gut I feel this expansion will do more harm than good to the hard core Disney fan.

By design, this land is going to attract non traditional Disney fans to our parks, parks that are already operating at peak capacity pretty much year round. Star Wars is so crazy popular that an entire theme park could easily handle the types of crowds that are going to flock in. Yet the land is only going to be 14 acres and 2 attractions big. Seems to me this is going to dramatically increase attendance at all parks, while only increasing the capacity/footprint a minute amount. I hope I'm wrong, but using my best Han Solo imitation, "I've got a bad feeling about this". Anyone else worried? What new tactics can we use to ease the pain?

Last edited:
Other than crowds what exactly are you worried about? I’m confused. 14 acres is the biggest land and Disney’s ever added to any park.

Yes the parks are always busy, but by no means are they “already operating at pretty much peak capacity year round.” I get what you are saying, but in terms of Disney’s ability to pack more in, they have plenty of room outside of a few weeks a year.

Crowds are exactly what I’m worried about. Parks that are already ridiculously crowded are going to become unbearable. My point is that the daily total attendance for DW is going to increase a heck of a lot more than what 14 acres can hold. Spillover to the other parks is inevitable, and there isn’t any room imo.

Yes the parks are always busy, but by no means are they “already operating at pretty much peak capacity year round.” I get what you are saying, but in terms of Disney’s ability to pack more in, they have plenty of room outside of a few weeks a year.

Not at peak capacity perhaps, but it’s getting to the point where navigating the parks is uncomfortable all the time. What’s going to happen when attendance is up 20percent or so across the board every day?

Other than crowds what exactly are you worried about? I’m confused. 14 acres is the biggest land and Disney’s ever added to any park.
I somewhat side with OP that it probably will be crazy crowded and I understand that this is a huge 14 acre land but the 14 acres is more buildings than common area. from the looks of the land, probably 70% is the rides / shops etc. That leaves a relatively small area for people. None the less, it's going to be very interesting to say the least.

Edit: ........ I am on my 4th Guinness Stout so .......

Crowds are exactly what I’m worried about. Parks that are already ridiculously crowded are going to become unbearable. My point is that the daily total attendance for DW is going to increase a heck of a lot more than what 14 acres can hold. Spillover to the other parks is inevitable, and there isn’t any room imo.
So is Disneyland. It’s like Potter at Universal. Those parks rose with that expansion. This is likely going to be worse but thats why Disney is expanding the other parks with infrastructure and more attractions. Disney knows this will have a big affect.

Not at peak capacity perhaps, but it’s getting to the point where navigating the parks is uncomfortable all the time. What’s going to happen when attendance is up 20percent or so across the board every day?
Crowds are what you make of them. We went in November 2016 at Thanksgiving and did MVMCP. Yes it was crazy crowded but we toured efficiently and had a great time. We were also at WDW 3 days before and 7 days after Irma in 2017. The parks were empty but we didn't have a better time because of the lack of crowds, we just had a little bit easier time. We are about to be at WDW the week of and the day of Christmas. Yes it will be crazy crowded but the crowds are very manageable if you plan accordingly. Me and a friend plan on being at HS on SWL opening day and I know it will be awesome despite the crowds.

It will get more uncomfortable. That’s about 100% certain. People won’t stop going. It will just take better planning.

We said the same thing about Toy Story Land, and Pandora, and New Fantasyland. New things always up crowds for a while and then it goes back down. It'll be fine. The parks are increasing in size and attractions about the same as attendance.

We said the same thing about Toy Story Land, and Pandora, and New Fantasyland. New things always up crowds for a while and then it goes back down. It'll be fine. The parks are increasing in size and attractions about the same as attendance.

I think you are vastly underestimating Star Wars’ popularity. This will be like nothing we have seen before.

I think you are vastly underestimating Star Wars’ popularity. This will be like nothing we have seen before.

Agreed and yes I’m worried. We are already planning on taking a DW break until 2021 after our September 2019 trip. Something I hate to do as I’m the biggest Disney nut in the family. But we are a family who doesn’t enjoy the parks at anything higher than a 6-7 on the crowds scale, and even that’s pushing it. I’ve heard 2021 may really be necessary before the crowds “normalize” and new patterns created by GE are understood.

I agree, I think crowds in the new area of the park is going to see maximum capacity for at least the 1st year. That said though, I think it will lighten up in other areas of HS. Like all things new, it will be very busy until the next new thing is introduced at one of the parks.

Yep. Taking a year away from Hollywood Studios in 2019 so that the furor dies down a bit. I agree that many will be attracted to this new land....but 14 acres is a LOT of land.

IMO and from my subjective experience... Rides typically stay busy for the first decade of their operation then wait times start to decrease a bit as many have had the opportunities to ride and new attractions open

It will get more uncomfortable. That’s about 100% certain. People won’t stop going. It will just take better planning.

Unless there's an economic crash before then, which, given the long bull run, could feasibly happen in 2019. There will still be lots of fans going, but that'll be offset by a lot of jittery people canceling or postponing trips.

Unless there's an economic crash before then, which, given the long bull run, could feasibly happen in 2019. There will still be lots of fans going, but that'll be offset by a lot of jittery people canceling or postponing trips.

Well hopefully it’s a standard cyclical downturn and not a crash !

Oh yeah it's going to take another recession to get the off-season back

Or an asteroid could hit earth, but that’s off topic too. Ha. Lots of things could happen, but if we are just talking about the addition of SWGE, yes, Disney will get more crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter