Will the 2018 full sell out?

Ronda93

DIS Veteran
I did the WDW full in 2012. I'd like to do it again in 2018. I know it's the 25th anniversary for that race. I think registration closed this year with spots still available for the full.

What does the hive mind think? With registration opening in February, will I have until May to decide? I should I be ready at midnight?

Thanks and good luck to this year's runners. It's a blast.

Ronda

I did the WDW full in 2012. I'd like to do it again in 2018. I know it's the 25th anniversary for that race. I think registration closed this year with spots still available for the full.

What does the hive mind think? With registration opening in February, will I have until May to decide? I should I be ready at midnight?

Ronda
Well registration does not open at midnight it opens at noon eastern time.

It's hard to say. I think there will be more people that will want to do it because of the anniversary but I have never seen the full sell out on the first day.

Ronda

I highly doubt the full sells out. Maybe later in the year, but Disney run sales have been trending down and I don't think the anniversary draw will reverse that to the point of an early sell out.

I highly doubt the full sells out. Maybe later in the year, but Disney run sales have been trending down and I don't think the anniversary draw will reverse that to the point of an early sell out.
I agree and will be surprised if it sells out at all.

I don't know that any of us can predict the future. I think based on rundisney's bin numbers there were about 3000 bibs issued for the full (including dopey and goofy) this year than last year. I don't know if that includes bibs issued to travel agents( if it does it would mean the drop off is even greater. I am also seeing travel agents like acclaim struggling to get rid of all their bibs. Based on that directional information I think you could say it's likely that the full won't sell out. That being said with 2018 being both the 25th anniversary of the full and the 5th anniversary of the Dopey. It wouldn't surprise me if it bucks the trend and sells out faster. I know anecdotally in my group of running friends that are running this year because they are planning on running the full next year. My guess is that the 10k will sell out the first day and Dopey might as well. I think the full is more likely to see out this year than prior years but I would guess that even if it does sell out it it will take a couple of weeks or months.

If only they still had the percentage bars we would know how close to selling out the race was. As is, I agree with everyone else but would caution that while it's unlikely to sell out based on past years things can always change. You have to do what you're comfortable with knowing that it's possible (though unlikely) that the race will sell out. If you're open to travel providers or charities then I think there is a far better chance to wait it out because if you see the race sell out you will have a window where you can get them from one of those two sources as most have bibs following the sell out.

I actually talked with travel agent that I use to book my marathon weekend trips. I think Disney is expecting a big demand for 2018. That travel agency already has their room blocks for that weekend. That's much earlier than prior years. The fact that they have also moved signup earlier in the year to me makes me think they will sell out, but not until later in the year.

IF there were a year it was going to sell out, I would think it would be 2018 for the 25th anniversary...but who knows.

The 20th anniversary medal is still my favorite one that I own - I would expect something pretty spectacular for 2018.

IF there were a year it was going to sell out, I would think it would be 2018 for the 25th anniversary...but who knows.

The 20th anniversary medal is still my favorite one that I own

Mine too. It was the first Disney Spinner and it's pretty cool.

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

3pW9KGQvrCdATUxW1bKim9YsFQIriqz06LzXzPD20QKxKRe6B_RqF14-9q-g8nsrJx3CzSxLUzGSJUxijR1B9uZlepw1d3TqfXJm0TCOjrMMyTqiUK1BjbLgPicVxId0uFbwa485LXUvB72emJY_mdflGZz-PBoW0sBUYt0TXNRW_OafwL8rYEAnZtIedxfHudjvwSlMxRr5nwtGX3HAOnHxwrNnNTrUL2itJC2L1fMUMFrH3nLJAqod9d8kIWVeTHRXMx-LQoWqgh3trX10_wtwfBeXku-SfSsbhdrc3_8cmQ8x0OCqOOJ8gRxWTNI7kwIMellxg5DQ4LS5LPP_dj8BDFWbEKBaIu1i5cJPo2sGDy3B1a5tHt3CXLMvFJW1i9pqqhGth5zaxFAsWkSVt2fZ2yvbxeFx_rCE7dpnSjqXT-cIv-YEIEuBaJduRqaxzdXvk721iZm5nsJ-Jb1yh2EnqyuL6Hou4t0TwEhLOgWlE0LVRtdDRTqApBbJ8ykT-LnK9iWDfHxr04tKhfx4hcCxlgfNLsCFrdQpOcutPrzzjoEZtvMxxxIAIfbNoeg2SmBnTidWzHaV1Z2Ge8S3-Afobk_-ZKZeRQWK6d66eIy6yxF3Bt-dOg=w1425-h950-no

Sorry these are so huge...but really not since this medal is perfect. I would hope they would do something similarly awesome for the 25th marathon!
TpZjYHGhAC6SUveXkREOU-ZGzh1K_nnjgHfeYYQhtNGIb6QsGO4H0MxzZM6sTYg0uYJsPpANeT4u30lddRVhNledRtbXtDKwlyq2f6cNTv8MO2QBkGh-cvos80-ocR-AGjJCioT7tC5vXquRfr6qy0yHPRr0Hv8-zpC2WkqBAu7IocwQgMAAQONY0ZWQ0msKLMRabyvVx_dEVHFH1j2VFsJY6fxBpO72YEx_Z_9ZJmbvBWW8frRL7jDh5X8rfqeP4yZvxfy2IkacUI6tHJHVFnntxe02aZmUpviX7k86j7HdRKzZpBarUYjBg8a6bx1pSZQ82QV12lLemnfPE7wqDFz_TngrDb7eYGFSbDgSK8kE3l2hZFcz5dfN3R1kpDKVej5Rf77aRTy_Ex32J_9rOTrDA8Doejd8KC-Yc8As9f4QhsAQZQnltvNb2thk52y-Srq7VZXBgn-RaokOJg63ZDzWYbnbl0s9CIWhDwYh2pKt14Bc7nS5FRt-kplvSZRbJ0FuHX8OVK4GyVM8cjqiXbeXoXmhu0i9rof3eFAYIsQYRjveNN-BTTohmqgZMYNdGGl2n2q6reKNLXHIoFtzUSoVdBBrnUViFSf96Uqf7pEdfOWLXf93zw=w1425-h950-no

The marathon sold out for the 20th anniversary but not until really late in the fall if I recall correctly. We didn't sign up for it until well into August, maybe even September and it still didn't sell out for sometime after that.

It was not too many years ago that the marathon DID sell out.
Yes but in the years before that very few races sold out at all. My first disney race was the 2011 half and I signed up in September. I think it was around the 20th when stuff really started to sell out quickly.

Mild disappointment isn't the pick me up you are looking for at mile 20?

It was right about that "spectacular" moment that the wheels fell off for me and I began my final death march to complete my first marathon. One might blame the heat or my lack of training, but I prefer to think it was the crushing disappointment I felt over the less than spectacular 20 mile celebration. #thanks20milespectacular

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter