Will they strike or not?

Will the baseball players actually walk out next week?

• Yes

• No

• don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
I am wondering what everyone thinks here. Do you think the baseball players will strike or not next week?

Anyone care to expound on why you feel as you do? I think if they DO strike, it will be the end of professional baseball for a LONG time! I also think we have George Stienbrenner to thank for that!

(You asked for opinions, here's mine. I know it's not in the popular, but here it is.)

Why are they wanting to go on strike? Demanding more money again?

If that's the case, then I vote *we* all go on strike and not visit another ball game until the people who *really* help our society (like teachers, policemen, and other EMT) are paid what they're worth (which, IMHO, is much higher than ball players) and the ball players are given a more reasonable salary -- something on par with what teachers make now. :mad:

I love baseball, but I think they will strick, and I for one am getting tired of it... :(

I've given up hope that they'll settle before the strike deadline. I just hope it doesn't last long.

I'd almost rather have a strike and get the system fixed than have them settle and maintain the status quo. As a huge Twins fan, it would break my heart to lose the post season this year, but if nothing changes, we'll lose most of our players within the next couple years.

As much as I hate to side with the owners, I tend to take their side in the current dispute. Their proposal is much more favorable to fans in all but a couple markets.

Also, while people pay money to watch the players, not the owners, and the players deserve a large percentage of MLB's profits, the owners are the ones taking the financial risk and certainly are entitled to set up a system which makes it possible for all teams to compete.

I'll feel sorry for the players when they start giving back salary when their franchises lose money.

List me as a 'Don't Care'.

They really lost me after the last strike. I saw somewhere that the AVERAGE WEEKLY salary in the big leagues is over $47,000. How did we get to this point? Greedy owners willing to pay that price to ensure they would succeed? Short-sighted players demanding more?

I love to go to a ball game. Have a beer and a dog. Maybe keep book. Cheer on the home team. Sing along during the stretch. Minor leagues for me though.

Without recognition by both sides that some fundamental changes need to happen, a strike seems inevitable. Oh well.....I'll be out back, tossing a ball around. :)

I love baseball, and I hope they don't strike, but I have a feeling they will. :(

Interesting views. We have had LOTS of discussion about this locally, because it is assumed that if the players strike, there will be no new stadium and therefore no more TWINS!

Our player rep, Denny Hocking, says none of the Twins want it, but they are a small voice among the whole. The issue seems to be not salary, but luxury taxes. The players feel that luxury taxes imposed on the "rich" owners (insert Stienbreener here) will cause negotiated salaries to go down. I certainly don't think ANY sports figure is worth the 100's of millions some owners are willing to play. I would be happy to be a minor league fan, if we had a team to get behind. If they do strike, it will be a "sad day in Mudville", just like mighty Casey striking out!

I love baseball. They lost me after the last strike. I have been to a hand full of games since then. I went to Baltimore games to see Cal play. I also got to see Cal and Junior play in the same game when Junior was doing well. Now I could care less. What is there to see? A jerk name Bonds act stupid and hit a bunch of home runs. He has none of the class of the other player that have hit 600 home runs. JMHO. If they strike I say good bye baseball for good.

I too love the game of baseball(especially my beloved Astros!), but I know they WILL go on strike Aug. 30th. Know why? Because I bought tickets for the Dodgers/Astros game on Sept. 1st!!!

Ugh! I have to go with the "who cares" option. This is so far out of hand it's crazy. Our Brewers haven't had a chance to do any good in so long I don't even pay attention any more. The same big teams seem to win (most of the time) because they have the money to pay/get the best players. It's just seems so unfair! I realize that not all the players on the team make the huge bucks, and that's too bad for the rest of the team. Seems greed is the problem (atleast to us who are just catching what the media says...) and if that's the case, then I say, fine, strike!

Well, Leahannapen......MAYBE the same big teams always win, but how does that explain the TWINS leading the division by 16 games with a very low payroll? Not buying all of that philosophy!

Oh yea, and our lovely "commissioner"/Brewers owner wants to contract the TWINS because they "can't be competetive in their old stadium and small market!n What's wrong with this picture!:mad:

Okay, I for one love the game. Let me say that before I get on my soapbox. I don't love the players, I love BASEBALL!

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to be paid millions of dollars a year to do what these guys do! They play ball!!! Most of them started off loving the game, but now I think it's more about paying their bills! They forget that there are a 1000 other people in this world that would kill to even have a chance to play in the big league for a percentage of what these guys make!

Their all freaking greedy if you ask me! They play ball for a living and get to tour the US doing it! If they're not happy with what they do, put them in a suit and tie and let them make a REAL living and see how bad thier multi-million dollar contracts sound then!

And some people can say, well, what about all the hours spent away from their family? How many mothers/fathers travel in their job??? How may mothers/fathers get months off a year?? EXACTLY!

"Common wisdom" suggests that they WILL strike, so I'll say that they WON'T;) ;) ;) ;) ;) .........

I really don't care Being a former Detroit Tiger fan My time has already been on strike all year. Baseball will not be missed in this town. Bring on Hockey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter