Will Universal go maskless with the governors new announcement?

I agree with you on all of this. You simply can't have grey area rules - people have already been known to stretch them. It is nice in theory, but in execution you'll always have people stretch them to their advantage, and not even with ill intent or anything - We just don't have that innate community-centered culture. We need tight guardrails to stay open, because people are already attempting to loosely following them as is.

Agree and agree. Especially considering how many times I've seen guests try to push the boundaries, "play dumb" when it came to certain rules, or blatantly argue to try to get what they want. I do know about currently, but previously, if it was EE you could not get onto HE until the park was officially opened. That is including not even filling up the queue prior to that time. So, therefore, prior to 9 a queue would fill up outside of HE. I do not know how many times I've sat outside to relax and seen multiple customers constantly go back and forth with the person outside enforcing this rule.

While generally being outside is relatively safe, this isn't a wide open park, or miles and miles of outstretched beach (which I can understand could be crowded, but you have more space to spread), instead there are a lot of walkways, buildings, food carts, and queues outside and a lot of guests who like I said, do not know what personal space is unless they have a marker in front of them.

Even when I was waiting outside of the parks to open last week since we waited in a non-official queue line almost everyone was kind of on top of each other. I only seen a few people including my friend and I who were trying to stand a few feet from the person in front of them.

I suspect that locals are the primary customers at Universal currently.
For out of state folks its a lot of hassle with all the quarantine rules when you return home.
If Universal requires masks and the rest of the state does not I think a fair number of people will seek alternatives.
I dont think Universal will attract more locals by keeping the mask rules in place than removing the rule.
At some point they need to make that call - its not an easy one I get it.
Re-enabling the finger scanners and requiring masks seems more risky to me.
How long after finger scans will people touch their face?

I've told several local friends about he rest of year deal and they have gone for a day or two - but the masks were just too much for them - especially since they are pretty much never wearing masks where they live.
It's unlikely they will return with mask rules in place.

I'm sure many of us will start getting surveys - people who have been to Universal during the pandemic and more likely those that have not been to see what they can do to get them back.
A large portion of those that have not been will probably not go back at all until its over - what even that is.
The goal will be to attract the largest portion of ones that have not gone and keep those that have gone coming back.

I'll be far more likely to return with masks being optional outside.. but I also probably wont return till they reopen Strong Water Tavern

Two questions-

Is Uni allowing gaiters to be used as masks?

what if they started using rapid testing and those who test negative don’t need a mask (assuming when rapid testing becomes reliable)

Two questions-

what if they started using rapid testing and those who test negative don’t need a mask (assuming when rapid testing becomes reliable)
No gaiters last I heard

The tests - I think between cost and logistics that is a non starter - I am still surprised this is not offered at the Airport so you dont have to self quarantine on return

According to this news report they are allowed now: Universal Orlando to Update Face Mask Policy Again

I can say that last week my daughter used one and no one mentioned anything to her about it. And there were quite a few others wearing them as well.
The article you reference was published July 31st. I'm not sure if that is still the current policy.

Universals website makes no clear distinction about gaiters. The website describes and has photos of what is and is not permitted. Bandanas, for instance, are not permitted.
No mention of gaiters at all....

I definitely understand that things can change in 2 months, but in this case I think gaiters are still allowed. I cut/pasted the following directly from Universal's website: "We recommend that face coverings be at least two-ply (consist of at least two layers). Also, a gaiter is considered an appropriate face covering as long as it covers your nose and mouth. "

Face Covering Guidelines

I know I am probably in the minority but I am hoping they change to recommended for our Nov trip. I won't cancel if they keep the mandate but would much rather not have to wear one, at least 100% outside. Those who want to and feel safer with them should def continue the use as they see fit. I personally canceled a WDW trip after hearing about how bad the heat and mask was from a friend, and then seeing that even to stand still in a photo you had to wear one.

I definitely understand that things can change in 2 months, but in this case I think gaiters are still allowed. I cut/pasted the following directly from Universal's website: "We recommend that face coverings be at least two-ply (consist of at least two layers). Also, a gaiter is considered an appropriate face covering as long as it covers your nose and mouth. "

Face Covering Guidelines
My bad, sorry! I didn't see the italicized sentence that said gaiters were ok.

My head spins just trying to stay on top of it all.....one article had recently read mentioned that a gaiter was worse than wearing nothing at all. How is that possible?

I know I am probably in the minority but I am hoping they change to recommended for our Nov trip. I won't cancel if they keep the mandate but would much rather not have to wear one, at least 100% outside. Those who want to and feel safer with them should def continue the use as they see fit.
I understand your thoughts and sympathize. My wife had enough of masks after 4 days in the parks last week. But at least you will be going in November when the chances of 90+ degree heat is probably not likely.

My head spins just trying to stay on top of it all.....one article had recently read mentioned that a gaiter was worse than wearing nothing at all. How is that possible?
I read that article as well. My understanding of that article was that a single-ply gaiter doesn't really stop the moisture from your breath. And in fact, it can actually aerosol your breath even more which causes the moisture to hang around in the air longer (which is why it can be worse.)

But if you use a 2-ply gaiter (which I made my daughter use), that "supposedly" will capture the moisture and limit the aerosol effect.

Now to start a thread about the best 2 ply gaiters! But our trip is in December and getting back on topic, maybe we won’t need them lol!

I understand your thoughts and sympathize. My wife had enough of masks after 4 days in the parks last week. But at least you will be going in November when the chances of 90+ degree heat is probably not likely.
Yes that is why I bailed on my bday Oct trip and pushed to mid Nov, I know it can still be "hot" during day but nothing compared to Sept/Oct heat and humidity.

I'd love to see the inside vs. outside change, but that introduces a lot of other issues. As @johnkerryP said, it would make a lot of things judgement calls. I think the locker areas would be particularly problematic. Specifically, I think about the MIB area. Is that indoors? Outdoors? And how many people will put their mask in their bags to walk around, then forget them when they put the bag in the locker?

Also, a lot of the advice we have heard from the start was to avoid frequently touching your mask. Adding several dozen times per day where you would put on/take off your mask definitely goes against that advice.

I know I am probably in the minority but I am hoping they change to recommended for our Nov trip. I won't cancel if they keep the mandate but would much rather not have to wear one, at least 100% outside. Those who want to and feel safer with them should def continue the use as they see fit. I personally canceled a WDW trip after hearing about how bad the heat and mask was from a friend, and then seeing that even to stand still in a photo you had to wear one.
Masks work when everyone wears them. The non-masked people spray droplets when they talk, cough, sneeze. Unless the mask wearer has an N95 then they won’t get a ton of protection. When everyone’s germs are contained we stand a chance at keeping germs at bay. So definitely not a wear them if you feel like it option.

Two questions-

Rapid testing won’t really help. Reason? Incubation period. Exposed, negative, a few days later positive. In that meantime you’re able to infect others. It’s what the NFL is experiencing https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nf-ls-...league-willing-to-eliminate-it-224644144.html
It’s also why colleges are putting kids into 14 day isolation if they are exposed.

I'd love to see the inside vs. outside change, but that introduces a lot of other issues. As @johnkerryP said, it would make a lot of things judgement calls. I think the locker areas would be particularly problematic. Specifically, I think about the MIB area. Is that indoors? Outdoors? And how many people will put their mask in their bags to walk around, then forget them when they put the bag in the locker?

Also, a lot of the advice we have heard from the start was to avoid frequently touching your mask. Adding several dozen times per day where you would put on/take off your mask definitely goes against that advice.
as a glasses wearer I know I touch my face (and in turn mask) way more when I have to wear one than when I am out and not being forced to wear one.

I don't understand how you expect Uni to be very cautious and then suggest chucking pretty much all social distancing and mask wearing. You realize that there is covid in the parks, right? There just aren't documented outbreaks because only TMs are being tracked (I'm guessing they are).

Some people like to think COVID stops outside the gate. Like if good old 'Rona doesn't have a ticket, she isn't getting into Universal :P

We've been twice now with masks and it does make touring more difficult, especially on 90+ degree days. That said, these last two trips are the first time that *no one* in our family has become sick on a trip to Disney/Universal whether it was a cold or the Great Stomach Bug of 2015 that took us all down.

I think they can either get rid of face masks or increase capacity but not both. People are visiting with the masks requirements in place so why risk it? If the requirements weren't in place (including outdoors) we wouldn't be going and we won't go on the weekends at all even with mask requirements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter