Windows 7 support ending 1/14/2020, are you a 7 user? **Update, page 2 #37** Now an Office 365 question

Dan Murphy

We are family.
And if so, what are your thoughts? Will you make the change to Windows 10?

If you are a Windows 10 user, have you been happy with it? Were you a 7 or 8 user prior to 10?

I have held on to 7 for the past 8 years, not wanting to make the change. When it come to OS's, I hate change. Over the years though, I have had (well DOS to start with, haha) and then 3.1, 95, 98, Me, XP, Vista, company laptops with 2000 and 8. I hated 8 which is probably why I have hung on to 7 so long.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have Win 7 on my personal PC and laptop. Win 10 on my work laptop. Win 10 kind of annoys me, and although I've been using it for a while, I just prefer 7 over it. As for making the change, I considered it, but I can't find my serial for my laptop and I haven't tried looking for the PC; and I'm not to replace either machine at the moment, so I'll probably stick with 7 for a bit longer.

I found that I had to upgrade in order to use some of my company's proprietary software thus have 10. I can no longer recall what my favorite Windows version used to be but it predated Vista and knowledge of the F keys was needed, LOL.

And if so, what are your thoughts? Will you make the change to Windows 10?

If you are a Windows 10 user, have you been happy with it? Were you a 7 or 8 user prior to 10?

I have held on to 7 for the past 8 years, not wanting to make the change. When it come to OS's, I hate change. Over the years though, I have had (well DOS to start with, haha) and then 3.1, 95, 98, Me, XP, Vista, company laptops with 2000 and 8. I hated 8 which is probably why I have hung on to 7 so long.

Your thoughts?
I have 7 on my laptop. We also have 7 on our desktop. We have another computer that's basically just used for back up, and it has 10. The one with 10 on it died last week. My husband worked for 5 days on it it, cleaning, retrieving what programs he could, and then put Lennox on it because he couldn't get the computer to work on 10.

I will probably keep 7 on my laptop as long as it keeps working. The desktop may be replaced with a newer one next year anyway, so it'll have 10 on it.

I sincerely do not like 10, so I'm keeping my 7 as long as I can.

Once I have no choice, I'll have to make the switch, but I'm hoping they come out with something else (close to what 7 is now) before then.

I thought I would hate Windows 10 because I had heard that the interface wasn't user-friendly for people on desktops, but I have found it much like 7 (which I adored) in many ways. It's easy to use and keep updated, and I was able to install more of my older programs than I thought I'd be able to. I like it very much.

Incidentally, my favorite ever operating system was XP. God, I loved my XP machine.

My work computer still has windows 7 on it. IT upgrades take a long time (so much software compatibility testing) and I think our department was last on the list. I joked that by the time we all get upgraded they’ll be rolling out a new version of windows.
My home pc has 10 on it but I don’t use it much. I’m more of an iPad user at home.

@Dan Murphy we've got a few Winders 7 machines left at work. Our IT company wants them off the network by January. They are very concerned about the onslaught of malware that is coming aiming at Winders 7 users. We're ditching 2 and upgrading the other 5 over Christmas break. I would highly recommend you upgrade, at this point its a matter of necessity not choice.

I feel for those making the adjustment, it was not easy on our staff team. Finding things on Winders 10 is an ongoing challenge. But you will probably have fewer issues.

As a Mac user at home and work, I'm happy I'm not directly dealing with Winders and the updates.

@Dan Murphy we've got a few Winders 7 machines left at work. Our IT company wants them off the network by January. They are very concerned about the onslaught of malware that is coming aiming at Winders 7 users. We're ditching 2 and upgrading the other 5 over Christmas break. I would highly recommend you upgrade, at this point its a matter of necessity not choice.

I feel for those making the adjustment, it was not easy on our staff team. Finding things on Winders 10 is an ongoing challenge. But you will probably have fewer issues.

As a Mac user at home and work, I'm happy I'm not directly dealing with Winders and the updates.
I hear that the spell checker is the first casualty!

ford family

I have 10 on both my laptop and desktop and have adjusted to it........couldn't use a lot of the software I liked. I have survived. I just don't bother to use a lot of the options.

DH has 7 and keeps it.......he has software he uses all the time that will not transfer to 10 or no similar one for 10.
I'll get him investigating and see what he decides

I hated updating Windows. I feel your pain. Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly.

My dh switched to Mac over 8 years ago, and kept trying to convert me. I was stubborn and dug my heels in and wouldn't change ... even after owning an iPhone for years. Finally made the switch last year. Best thing I have ever done. I really do love my Mac. Although we have run into one snag with work (they use PC's) we were able to finagle around it, but it took us a while and a few choice words. lol

I know Mac isn't for everyone, but if you are debating and don't absolutely need a PC just look at the Macs while shopping. ::yes::

I'm running on 7 at work, 10 at home on my laptop. I work for an IT company and my hubby owns an IT company. I'm the bookkeeper at my company and it's a bit like being the cobblers kids, we are the last to get anything new. I doubt we will upgrade me to 10. It's just the boss and me now and he's supposed to be retiring any day now so he really doesn't want to spend money on me. I'm good with that since I'm not crazy about how my laptop runs on 10.

IT just came by my office with a new machine. Getting new toys is fun, but the setup process is a pain.

I generally keep a computer for around 10 years. I've only owned 3, 1995 with Win95, 2005 with XP, and current laptop, 2015 with Win7.

I couldn't care less if they stop supporting. My stuff is usually so old, I turn off updates long ago. My first computer I got tired of having to factory restore (no windows CD back then) and then all the removing of the bloatware, changing all the settings, reinstall all programs, updates would keep me off my computer for up to a week doing all that back then. Of course the 28.8 dial up internet connection didn't help with having to download all drivers because the ones on the computer were obsolete.

We have a few PC's at work running Win10. Can't stand it. I am function over form and can't decipher all these new symbols and icons that tell you nothing of what they do. I had to reboot one at work and had no idea how to just Power - Shutdown. Nothing told me what new icon the Power was. Can't stand that people buy everything based on looks so our computers have to be a world of fluff without function, and our cars are this way as well.

I hate all the programs going with cutsie icons now instead of menus. Can't find half the stuff I need in Excel any more, simple tasks that you did with a simple drop down menu. I was in my Gmail account one time and wanted to go back, so I had to guess which icon went back. Click, "Email successfully archived." What? Where the heck did my email go? There is no archive, I can't find it anywhere!

Speaking of going back, when did hitting the backspace key no longer take you back in a web browser? Stuff like this, removing or hiding functionality drives me crazy with having to buy new stuff.

I will have to have Win10 soon though. Been wanting to build/get a media/gaming PC to connect to the TV and now with the new MS Flight Simulator coming out, I need to get one by spring.

I have 10 on both a home laptop and all of my internet facing systems at work. I don't love it because it has some interesting ways that it works with PKI authentication but I don't hate it. I do, as a general rule prefer Linux for most things. I do prefer 10 to 8, and in the current environment on the interwebs I would not sacrifice security updates to stay on an older version of Windows on an internet facing system.

XP was my favorite OS. I just purchased a new Inspiron (our desktop was 7 or 8 years old) and had 10 loaded along with MS Office Personal & Business 2019. At work--using 10 with Office 2016 Pro. Our prior OS was 7 (couldn't stand 8 and actually bought our last computer and had 7 added even though it came with 8). Not a real fan of 10--can't quite put my finger on why exactly, I just don't care for it when compared to 7 or XP.

Good luck Dan!

We have windows 7 on our desktop and his work laptop. Will keep them as long as possible. I do not like Windows 10 at all. Will be forced to change to it when we upgrade either of our computers, but by then maybe they will come up with something better than 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!